2005 Mazda RX-8 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Mazda RX-8:

2005 Mazda RX-8 Owner Comments

Feb 032016

My steering wheel is turning to the left on its own and it is difficult to turn to the right. I have researched online and I'm not the only one having the problem. I don't feel safe driving my vehicle and I am disappointed in the quality of parts. Issue 2: after the first recall on my vehicle, my motor is giving me issues again after being replaced 40,000 miles later. It turns off at idle and has problems starting. I fear this might be a safety issue.

- Davie, FL, USA

Mar 122013

Steering was jerking and now power steering has stop.

- Rowlett, TX, USA

Feb 032014

At any given time it will steer all the way to the right. The wheel will start to shake then it will rip out of your hands and go all the way to the steering locks to the right. It has now been at Mazda for 3 month and $8,336 later they still cant say why or how this happens nor can they say it will not happen again....

- Eustis, FL, USA

Nov 022013

It was on a Saturday afternoon. While driving there was a pothole on the road that I didn't see. I jumped into the pothole and got out and continue driving for a 2nd making a turn I than realized my steering was locked I couldn't turn my car. My engine was on and my car still moving at a pace. I step on my brakes tried to turn to a nearest parking nearby forcing a turn and my steering just couldn't. luckily with a stiff turn into a parking I stopped my car and than turned the engine off and pulled the key out. Once I did that the steering was released. I did go on to the internet to see if there is a recall but realized someone had the same problem. I am afraid this can happen again on a highway and could be deadly.

- Lilburn, GA, USA

May 152011

The contact owns a 2005 Mazda RX8. The contact stated that after starting the vehicle, the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was stated that the steering rack needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the problem persisted. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 106,000.

- Jackson , MS, USA

Sep 102011

Car had issue steering to the right for aprox. 5 miles, when off highway power steering completely failed at 35 mph in heavy traffic. Had to be driven to dealership to be fixed.

- Durham , NC, USA

Jul 152011

2005 Rx-8 leaking oil cooler line faults breaks car veered off the road onto right side grass under heavy breaking due to suddenly slowing traffic. Normally, car breaks very well, linearly, and straight. After checking what caused this, I found the entire left underside sprayed with engine oil. Oil came from rusted engine cooler lines located right next to the front left wheel well. About a 10 second engine run showed a stream of oil spraying towards the tire through a crack in the rusted cooling line. Underbody, left front tire, and breaks were covered with oil. There was no collision only because the area where car was pulled off to the side had no obstacles. Lucky me! car is obviously not drivable as engine oil is visibly leaking and breaks are compromised with greasy oil residue. Apparently Canada has a recall for these faulty cooling lines - ¿Rx-8 oil cooler hose ¿ special service program (ssp) 76¿ ¿ seems utterly appropriate as in an unlucky situation this could turn out fatal!

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 022011

On for said date the check engine light came on, decreased power noted then engine shut off. After a few minutes the car started without any problems. Eight hours later restarted the car, drove 50 feet the check engine light came on and this time the care had no power. Mazda dealer who serviced the car reported needed coils and spark plugs. On June 9th when starting the car the power steering light came on, and loss of power steering was noted turned off the car. When the tow truck arrived the light and steering where normal again. Mazda mechanic could not be definitive with the diagnosis, probable B1342-eps control module. I was told take the car and if problem occurs again bring it in. On June 13th while driving the power steering light came on and again loss of power steering. Drove to the Mazda dealer, left the car running until mechanic could visualize the situation, again when the car was turned off and restarted the light was out, and power steering normal. The car was serviced again with the only answer to the problem was that of similar concerns involving the N-03 connector poor crimps-terminals to wires. This was the tech line report.

- Richlandtown, PA, USA

Jul 162005

The problem started in July 2005, when my car lose the power steering, the dealership and the distributor trying to fix the problem, but they never fixed the car, I sent to them for 11 times between July 2005 to September 2006. One of those times the car ( Mazda Rx-8) lose the power steering when I drove the car at 65 mph on the highway. The steering it`S hard to move.

- Vega Baja, PR, USA