2001 Mazda Tribute brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Mazda Tribute:

2001 Mazda Tribute Owner Comments

May 292015

I was at a red light making a right turn. The light turned green I proceeded to drive the vehicle speed went from 25 mph to 40 mph and breaks failed. I was able to stop the vehicle and then put it in park. The engine was still racing and I shut the car off waited about 5 min turned the car on engine was still racing and then all went back to normal including the breaks.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Dec 012006

I have just replaced the master cylinder and brake booster on this vehicle for the third time. This time, brake fluid actually leaked into a puddle under the car. There was a recall on the cardone aftermarket master cylinder, but the original failed, then two others, not cardone. My vehicle does not have ABS brakes and is not covered under the current recall, but nonetheless, there must be a structural defect with the vehicle that causes the leak.

- San Marcos, TX, USA

Dec 122012

Tribute 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Mazda Tribute. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, a burning smell was coming from the front end of the vehicle. The contact merged to the should of the road and noticed that the brake master cylinder reservoir cap was leaking brake fluid. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V016000 (service brakes, hydraulic). The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 155,000 and the current mileage was 161,000.

- Waterbury, CT, USA

Jul 032012

Tribute 6-cyl

The vehicle present several problems when driving, gear shift more than three time and the broken eg valve more than four time, shaking engine, stop and discontinue working, ,,,,,,

- Miami, FL, USA

Mar 012012

The contact owns a 2001 Mazda Tribute. The contact stated that the brakes failed, causing the vehicle to crash into a fence. The vehicle was towed to the owner's home. The manufacturer was notified but offered no assistance. The failure and current mileages were 157,000.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jun 292012

Tribute 4WD 6-cyl

When I am driving on a local drive, and tried to slow down for the construction work about 50 yards in front of the vehicle, I stepped on the brake and felt no brake at all, even I stepped all the way to the bottom. I tried again and again, and the same thing happened. I almost thought I was in a dream, a nightmare. Then, I remembered the hand brake, which was more or less functioning at the time, and also shifted the gear toward parking. At the same time, I was looking something that could put the vehicle at the full stop. Fortunately, it was a slightly uphill drive and no other vehicles behind or in front of me. So the vehicle stopped slowly, after it was on the parking gear. I called aaa. When the help from aaa came, he pointed out to me that there was some fluid gushing out from underneath the hood at the right front, next to the wheel. I did not recognize what it was then. After it was towed to a Mazda service shop, I was told later that one of the brake pipes exploded, and the other one was nearly exploded. The brake sensor light was not on until at the time the vehicle was towed. The total cost of the repair was $568.81, including fixing the right front axle ABS sensor ring that was cracked.

- Andover, MA, USA