2.7

2003 Mazda Tribute steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Mazda Tribute:

2003 Mazda Tribute Owner Comments

Feb 222005

Tribute

The contact owns a 2003 Mazda Tribute. The vehicle was repaired according to NHTSA campaign number: 04V583000 (vehicle speed control), but the failure recurred. The contact experienced no failures with the vehicle prior to the recall repair. After the repair, the contact heard an intermittent squeaking sound coming from the steering wheel. In addition, the steering wheel was extremely difficult to turn. The dealer was notified several times and stated that the coil spring needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired again and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 5,000.

- Bay City, MI, USA

May 262014

Tribute

Right front wheel folded back and under vehicle. Was able to just get off roadway. Vehicle is now unusable as the front cross member has rusted away and allowed front suspension to collapse (including the engine and transmission).

- Galway, NY, USA

Aug 282012

Tribute 6-cyl

Every time it rains really hard or there's flooding in the streets the car starts showing the battery light like it is going to die on me and as a precaution I try to pull out of the street to any place and while turning the steering wheel the car looses power and the wheels won't turn. Driving no more than 5mph while slowing down from a normal 35mph without warning my engine shut off and I lost power to my steering wheel and brakes. I was able to get the car to off the road after applying all my weight to the brakes and steering wheel. I missed an oncoming car and a tree by an inch. I decided to do some online research and it seems I am not the only one with this problem with a Mazda Tribute 2003. I am very worried because it hurricane season here in fl and the rain is not something I can predict, besides it seems absurd that I would even have to watch the weather to see if I should or not drive the car. This is an accident waiting to happen!! I drive my 2 year old every day and it is not right that Mazda would have cars with this issues out in the street. If feels like by signing a purchase contract on it. I had signed a death with it. Please do something. I haven't found that there is a recall for this issue.

- Greenacres, FL, USA

Apr 212003

Tribute

While driving the steering went out.

- Blue Jay, CA, USA