2003 Mazda Tribute suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Mazda Tribute:

2003 Mazda Tribute Owner Comments

Feb 212016

Tribute

" takata recall" it happened on the two lane highway on bright sunny day at around 1 pm. Car drifted the middle lane and I couldn't bring it back in the lane. I felt somebody was controlled the steering wheel. I hold the steering wheel with both hands but I couldn't direct the car. It did swing around 4 times and hit the on coming car.

- Waikoloa, HI, USA

May 122015

Tribute

2003 Mazda Tribute with a recall that Mazda refused to repair. The vehicle has a recall for corrosion to the sub-frame resulting in separation of the lower control arm increasing the risk of a crash. Instead of replacing recalled sub-frame they put an inexpensive brace underneath the corroded part for the recall. Mazda said if the corroded part hasn't actually snapped in half then they put a cheap brace underneath it. Now 8 months later the corroded part snapped in half and Mazda says they are off the hook since they put a cheap brace under the corroded sub-frame. I have been informed that if the vehicle is driven now the wheels will fall off. How can they justify fixing a recall by installing a meaningless so called brace under the corroded part when it does nothing. Once the sub-frame brakes the lower control arm still separates and you still are in risk of a crash.

- Whitman, MA, USA

Feb 222005

Tribute

The contact owns a 2003 Mazda Tribute. The vehicle was repaired according to NHTSA campaign number: 04V583000 (vehicle speed control), but the failure recurred. The contact experienced no failures with the vehicle prior to the recall repair. After the repair, the contact heard an intermittent squeaking sound coming from the steering wheel. In addition, the steering wheel was extremely difficult to turn. The dealer was notified several times and stated that the coil spring needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired again and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 5,000.

- Bay City, MI, USA

May 262014

Tribute

Right front wheel folded back and under vehicle. Was able to just get off roadway. Vehicle is now unusable as the front cross member has rusted away and allowed front suspension to collapse (including the engine and transmission).

- Galway, NY, USA

Apr 222011

Tribute 6-cyl

Tires began making extremely loud road noise above 30 mph. I was told at the time that the tires were "cupped" probably the result of defective tires. I had the Mazda 2003 Tribute serviced at the local dealership, "jay Mazda" in columbus, ga and the tires were replaced at approximately 84978 miles on the vehicle on 04-22-11. Around approx 112000 miles on the vehicle I began experiencing the same road noise I had experienced earlier on 04-22-2011. I began hearing the loud road noise again. I again had my Mazda 2003 Tribute serviced at "jay Mazda" in columbus, ga on 08-31-2013 at approximately 114190 miles where I had my oil changed, brakes replaced, & spoke with the Mazda tech about the extremely loud road noise I was again experiencing since I purchased the tires on the vehicle from jay Mazda on 04-22-2011 for the same trouble. Upon picking up my vehicle the technician told me that my tires were again "cupped" and that was what was causing the loud vehicle noise and they were "cupped" due to me not having my tires rotated at the proper interval. I told the technician that I never experienced the noise until sometime after having the tires rotated the 1st time. The technician said he found no problems with the vehicles suspension that "lack" of rotation was the only cause. I believe that there is a problem with the rear suspension that causes the rear tires on Mazda 2003 Tributes to "cup" & that rotation of the tires only worsens the problem. I believe this because the Mazda technician told me that if I had my tires rotated now that the noise would only get "worse".

- Cataula, GA, USA

May 142003

Tribute

Consumer states that while driving vehicle over a metal bridge vehicle would move left to right. Dealer notified.

- South Bend, IN, USA