2005 Mazda Tribute engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Mazda Tribute:

2005 Mazda Tribute Owner Comments

Oct 212016

Tribute

Interstate driving, engine lost power. 92,000 miles. All maintenance records available. Many repairs for low mileage. Codes revealed 4 coil packs out. Replaced all 6. car still does not have compression. Dead. Shame on you Mazda!!!!

- Cross Plains, TN, USA

Dec 262015

Tribute

Takata recall this 2005 Mazda Tribute. While driving down the road the light start to flash and there is a car that shows up on my dash I have had this looked at. And everyone said it was wiring problems this SUV has almost. Had me hit and in a car wreck. Because. It will shut down and no pull a hill. Or lose it power.

- Russellville, TN, USA

Jun 022015

Tribute

The 2005 Mazda Tribute initially started to be sporadically sluggish/hesitation when stepping on the gas. It seemed like there was a delay from when I pressed on the gas pedal to when the vehicle actually accelerated. On 6/4/15, a couple days after first experiencing the sluggishness/hesitant acceleration, the vehicle stalled/lost power while driving 55 miles per hour on a busy road. Fortunately, I was able to coast over to the side of the road. Within a few minutes I was able to restart the vehicle and continue on my way. The vehicle continued to be sluggish at acceleration and would randomly stall while driving and/or idling. At this point with the vehicle's mechanical issues, the check engine light was not on- even though there was something major wrong with the vehicle. Over the next couple weeks I had the vehicle in the shop three times. The first time in the shop (6/6/15) the check engine light was still not on- -so they were not able to diagnose the problem. They shop suggested replacing the fuel filter and do a fuel system clean-- which I did. The vehicle continued to be sluggish/hesitant when accelerating & randomly stalled while driving and/or idling. About a week later the check engine light finally came on. I took the vehicle to the shop & they indicated the code was telling them that cylinder 2 was misfiring. No other codes were read. All the spark plugs were replaced, coils were checked (in good condition). The check engine light did not come back on; however, the vehicle continued to run sluggish and stall while driving (multiple times when I was going 55-65 mph). On 6/24/15 the car stalled again but this time it would not restart. I had the vehicle towed to the shop & they indicated the computer was dead and needed to be replaced. I contacted Mazda and they denied there were issues with the Mazda Tribute computers and said it was just my vehicle.

- St. Petersburg, FL, USA

Apr 012015

Tribute 4WD 6-cyl

2005 Mazda Tribute. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle engine issues and requests compensation for repairs. The consumer stated when started the vehicle, it sounded like a truck and the check engine light started flashing. A diagnosis revealed the coils and spark plugs needed to be replaced.

- South Charleston, WV, USA

Apr 212015

Tribute 4WD 6-cyl

Big loud noise, car started to shake, speed and nearly lost control.

- Bridgeport, CT, USA

Mar 132015

Tribute

The contact owns a 2005 Mazda Tribute. While driving at 45 mph, an abnormal noise emitted from the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000.

- Maumee, OH, USA

Nov 202009

Tribute 4-cyl

We took to the Mazda dealer (5900 North oak trafficway, Kansas City, mo 64118) in 2009 because the car did not start. They changed the starter motor and still it did not work then they replaced the battery and it did not work again them they said it is the alternator this all happened just within a week or two and had to spend lot of money. Then again we had to replace the battery four times with in 2009 to 2014. Right now we have the same problem and an auto dealer is saying it is the alternator. I strongly think there should be some kind of recall to this as I have not seen a car like this that has so many electrical problem and this is not safe. Thank you for checking on this and hope this problem will be solved and people will not have any problems in the future.

- Rocklin, CA, USA

Dec 152014

Tribute 6-cyl

The sub frame and axles completely rusted through and the lower control arms and everything supported came loose. It all needs to be replaced at a cost of thousands of dollars. This is the same issue I have been reading about on the same vehicle years 2001 - 2004 as well as many Ford escapes. They have been recalled so why would newer units with the same problem not have been recalled. For a newer car to have the same problem would make this issue be even worse then the manufacturer is reporting. Every dealer and every junk yard tells me the same thing, this is not isolated to the 2001 - 2004 model years. I have no option but to fix the manufacturers defect and hope that they admit more vehicles need to be recalled. They should fix the problem and pay for the parts and labor to repair their problem which they knowingly passed onto the consumer. I will do whatever it takes to inform as many people as possible to never buy a Mazda or Ford vehicle until they prove that they actually care about the consumer, recall these vehicles and pay for their defective product. They are putting people in a dangerous situation and they know it! another problem has been the engine. I have had problems with faulty ignition coils and sensors and the rusting of the rear wheel wells, which were rusted thru and had to be welded back together since they separated from the back of the car and I had a loud rattle and shake. Thank goodness this was recognized by the repair shop as they found it before it caused an accident. What is a owner to do?

- Cranberry Twp., PA, USA

Aug 042014

Tribute

The contact owns a 2005 Mazda Tribute. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the engine seized and the check engine light illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Fort Myers, FL, USA

Oct 022014

Tribute

The contact owns a 2005 Mazda Tribute. The contact stated that the vehicle would lose power and stall on several occasions. The contact turned off and reset the computer by restarting the vehicle each time the failure recurred. Also, the contact mentioned that it was extremely difficult to remove the key from the ignition. The vehicle was schedule to be taken into the dealer. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000.

- Zille Platte, LA, USA

Sep 012014

Tribute

While driving between 1500 and 2500 rpms, the car suddenly drops in rpms and either stalls altogether or starts making a jerking motion and thudding noise. Cannot get out of the gear unless you jam on the accelerator. Extremely dangerous and near undrivable on the highway. Had has happened twice before, ruining the engine coils the first time and the catalytic converters the second time. It seems the PCM is faulty and ruining all of the associated parts. Have read up on the topic and many other owners have the same issue with the stalling and jolting of the issue, all associated with the PCM. This very much seems like an issue that should be recalled, as the repairs are significantly costly and affect many vehicles.

- Cambridge, MA, USA

Apr 242014

Tribute 4-cyl

When approaching a 4-way intersection during daylight hours, the light turned yellow then red. I tried to stop by pressing my brake pedal. My vehicle did not slow down, but continued to accelerate up hill. I pressed as hard as possible but my vehicle went through the intersection and I ran into the side of another vehicle. I was originally going about 30mph and when I hit the other vehicle, I was going about 25mph. My vehicle stopped after hitting the other vehicle but continued to rev higher. I was injured when my arms bent the steering wheel forward, the seat belt bruised me and my right foot (talus bone) was broken by the pressure on the brake pedal. I required surgery. I was out of work for 3 weeks and wore a cast for 7 weeks. The policeman who reported to the accident site discovered the gas pedal was half way down to the floor and stuck. The other driver and a witness said they heard the vehicle revving after it stopped after impact. The vehicle cut off after about 30 seconds on its own and would not restart. There are similar reports of this happening on the website but no recalls have been issued. I had owned the vehicle for 5 years and 9 months at the time of the accident. The vehicle was totaled.

- Hoover, AL, USA

May 302014

Tribute 6-cyl

Running rough, stalling at lights, replaced ignition coils, new ignition coils failed, further diagnosis, PCM causing failure.

- Fort Myers, FL, USA

Feb 062014

Tribute

While driving the SUV had a couple of misfires and then shut off completely with no warning. Thankfully was able to coast to the side of the road. If this had happened on a major highway there could have been an accident and worse, fatality. Now the computer, coils, and plugs need to be replaced.

- Evensville, TN, USA

Jan 272014

Tribute

The contact owns a 2005 Mazda Tribute. The contact stated that while driving approximately 50 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was neither diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 138,000.

- Magnolia, TX, USA

Apr 012013

Tribute

2005 Mazda Tribute. Consumer writes in regards to several mechanical problems with vehicle. The consumer stated the computer caused the spark plugs to mis-fire. The dealer informed the consumer, the vehicle was unsafe to drive. However, on the last three occasions they sent her home without resolving the problem.

- Rogersville, MO, USA

Feb 152011

Tribute

The contact owns a 2005 Mazda Tribute. The contact stated that while driving approximately 5 mph, the accelerator pedal would not respond. The contact continued to apply pressure to the pedal but had no success. The manufacturer was made of the failure and informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V357000 (engine and engine cooling, vehicle speed control). The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jul 202012

Tribute

The contact owns a 2005 Mazda Tribute. The contact stated that while parked, the vehicle became engulfed in flames. The fire department reported to the scene and concluded that the fire began on the passenger side of the engine. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and a report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The approximate failure mileage was 95,000.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

May 122009

Tribute 6-cyl

My Tribute is a V-6 3.0L and the vehicle was manufactured 11-04 per driver's door sticker. Problem-- after leaving my house and driving down my rural road, I had noticed the vehicle speed stayed the same (approx 40 mph) even after letting up on the gas pedal. The cruise control was off. So I had did a quick tap on the gas pedal to see if the constant speed would stop and allow the vehicle to slow down. The vehicle did respond and slowed down. This happened to me on three different occasions and all on the same road and in the same area.

- Cortland, OH, USA