2005 Mazda Tribute engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Mazda Tribute:

2005 Mazda Tribute Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Apr 232016

Tribute

The contact owns a 2005 Mazda Tribute. The contact stated that while driving at 70 mph, the brake pedal was depressed but failed to respond without warning. In addition, the contact discovered that the accelerator pedal was stuck to the floorboard and the emergency brake had to be engaged to avoid a crash. The contact mentioned that the failure recurred three times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic but the failure was unable to be determined. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 174,848.

- Newark, OH, USA

Jun 022015

Tribute

The 2005 Mazda Tribute initially started to be sporadically sluggish/hesitation when stepping on the gas. It seemed like there was a delay from when I pressed on the gas pedal to when the vehicle actually accelerated. On 6/4/15, a couple days after first experiencing the sluggishness/hesitant acceleration, the vehicle stalled/lost power while driving 55 miles per hour on a busy road. Fortunately, I was able to coast over to the side of the road. Within a few minutes I was able to restart the vehicle and continue on my way. The vehicle continued to be sluggish at acceleration and would randomly stall while driving and/or idling. At this point with the vehicle's mechanical issues, the check engine light was not on- even though there was something major wrong with the vehicle. Over the next couple weeks I had the vehicle in the shop three times. The first time in the shop (6/6/15) the check engine light was still not on- -so they were not able to diagnose the problem. They shop suggested replacing the fuel filter and do a fuel system clean-- which I did. The vehicle continued to be sluggish/hesitant when accelerating & randomly stalled while driving and/or idling. About a week later the check engine light finally came on. I took the vehicle to the shop & they indicated the code was telling them that cylinder 2 was misfiring. No other codes were read. All the spark plugs were replaced, coils were checked (in good condition). The check engine light did not come back on; however, the vehicle continued to run sluggish and stall while driving (multiple times when I was going 55-65 mph). On 6/24/15 the car stalled again but this time it would not restart. I had the vehicle towed to the shop & they indicated the computer was dead and needed to be replaced. I contacted Mazda and they denied there were issues with the Mazda Tribute computers and said it was just my vehicle.

- St. Petersburg, FL, USA

Apr 082015

Tribute

The contact owns a 2005 Mazda Tribute I. the contact stated that the vehicle failed to accelerated without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 145,000.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Jan 082015

Tribute 4-cyl

Car stops accelerating due to gas pedal being stuck.

- Philadelphia , PA, USA

Dec 142014

Tribute 4-cyl

We purchased this vehicle new and about 5 times over the history of owning this vehicle, the gas peddle stuck and on the last most recent event the car got stuck at a high rate of speed on the freeway and it could not be slowed by pulling the pedal up with foot. Thank god there were no vehicles around or slowing traffic ahead. Mazda issued a recall #94751 - vehicle speed control: Cables but when we took the car into the nearest Mazda dealership we were told that our vehicle's VIN is not covered by this recall as it supposedly does not have the "defective part(s) installed." Yet the summary of the recall description notes that it is a design/installation flaw with the vehicle I.e. "inadequate clearance between the engine cover and speed control cable connector" resulting in a stuck throttle. Mazda won't stand behind their vehicle now and want us to pay to have it serviced/diagnosed/fixed?! also I had previously taken this car to the dealership twice in the past when this happened and they could not find anything wrong with it. Mazda needs to do a more in-depth investigation of this very dangerous situation and design/parts flaw and issue a more extensive recall on their 2005 Mazda Tributes. Note our model is a 2.3L, 4 cylinder engine and their recall only covers the 3.0L V6 engine.

- San Carlos, CA, USA

Dec 042014

Tribute

The contact owns a 2005 Mazda Tribute. The contact stated that the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to respond. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Jan 152008

Tribute

The contact owns a 2005 Mazda Tribute. The contact stated while driving approximate 15 mph, the accelerator pedal failed to engage and the contact had to tap the accelerator pedal four times for it to operate. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis. The technician was unable to locate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 86,000.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Aug 012013

Tribute

Gas pedal locking up at various speeds in traffic. 4 near misses of a catastrophic events !!! we have contacted Mazda in conroe Texas. We were informed that our VIN # was not included in there recall on this problem with the newer models are having....... this is the same problem as the new one !!!!!! so whats the problem ? I nearly was killed at one the events !!! had to pull over due the pedal would not move and another driver not paying attention nearly missed hitting me on the shoulder of the highway ! I was outside of my car at that point trying figure out why it wasn't working ( 09/12/2014).

- Magnolia, TX, USA

Apr 242014

Tribute 4-cyl

When approaching a 4-way intersection during daylight hours, the light turned yellow then red. I tried to stop by pressing my brake pedal. My vehicle did not slow down, but continued to accelerate up hill. I pressed as hard as possible but my vehicle went through the intersection and I ran into the side of another vehicle. I was originally going about 30mph and when I hit the other vehicle, I was going about 25mph. My vehicle stopped after hitting the other vehicle but continued to rev higher. I was injured when my arms bent the steering wheel forward, the seat belt bruised me and my right foot (talus bone) was broken by the pressure on the brake pedal. I required surgery. I was out of work for 3 weeks and wore a cast for 7 weeks. The policeman who reported to the accident site discovered the gas pedal was half way down to the floor and stuck. The other driver and a witness said they heard the vehicle revving after it stopped after impact. The vehicle cut off after about 30 seconds on its own and would not restart. There are similar reports of this happening on the website but no recalls have been issued. I had owned the vehicle for 5 years and 9 months at the time of the accident. The vehicle was totaled.

- Hoover, AL, USA

Feb 042014

Tribute 4-cyl

Accelerator got stuck multiple times in cold weather. At stops and signals or turns, after the vehicle is completely stopped accelerator gets stuck. Have to press very hard and some times take 5-10 minutes to move. On 2/4 got stuck one time and on 2/6 stuck 3 times on the road.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jan 012006

Tribute 4-cyl

While accelerating, the accelerator gets stuck and the car suddenly slows down to a crawl. Driver has to pull over and pump accelerator in order to get it unstuck. Checked with dealer initially and called Mazda today January 8, 2014 to ask if there have been a recall. Was told, no. In the past, had to take car to mechanic and left it to be test driven in order for mechanic to replicate problem. Mechanic found the problem and cleaned accelerator. Problem continuous sporadically.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Aug 072013

Tribute

The contact owns a 2005 Mazda Tribute. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, she attempted to depress the accelerator pedal but it seized and prevented her from accelerating. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 70,000 and the current mileage was 84,397.

- West Linn, OR, USA

Sep 142013

Tribute 4-cyl

I received this car from my deceased parents about 3 years ago. There has been numerous occasions that my gas pedal has stuck either while I'm stopped and try to go or if I am shifting gears. This is very dangerous if my gas pedal is sticking. It happened 3 times September 14, 2013 within a 10 min period on the drive out to my son's soccer game. I have 2 stop signs and 4 stop lights between that area and the gas pedal stuck at one light and both stop signs. On other occasions my cruise control has revved up when trying to turn it off and it has also just gotten stuck. That could be very dangerous when trying to slow down for traffic ahead.

- Connersville, IN, USA

Mar 192012

Tribute

The contact owns a 2005 Mazda Tribute. The contact stated that the throttle would become stuck when the accelerator pedal was fully or partially fully depressed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but the dealer refused to inspect the failure. The manufacturer was notified and stated that there were no recalls for the vehicle and offered no further assistance. The failure mileage was 93,424.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Feb 152011

Tribute

The contact owns a 2005 Mazda Tribute. The contact stated that while driving approximately 5 mph, the accelerator pedal would not respond. The contact continued to apply pressure to the pedal but had no success. The manufacturer was made of the failure and informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V357000 (engine and engine cooling, vehicle speed control). The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Feb 252013

Tribute 4-cyl

The first time I had an issue with the gas pedal, I was backing out of a driveway and the pedal got stuck all the way down. My car wouldn't move. Since then, I've had 5 instances where I'm driving my car and let up on the gas pedal and it gets stuck. I have to stomp on the pedal multiple times for it to start working again. I'm always in traffic and have to turn on my hazard lights and pull off to the side if there is a shoulder available. This has also happened when merging onto the interstate when traffic is moving over 50 mph. This is very dangerous and I'm upset to find that many other owners have had this issue and we have to pay to get this fixed. It should be a recall.

- Portland, OR, USA

Feb 192013

Tribute 4-cyl

I have had problems with my gas pedal every since I got the car. The problem is that it will not accelerate its like it has something behind the gas pedal preventing it to go down. It has got worse over the years especially when it is cold outside it seems to stick worse. You can try to push it harder or even pull up on it and it doesn't budge. I had to pullover today because I couldn't get the pedal to work so I couldn't give it gas. I got it work and was driving down the road and it froze up again. I finally made it to my destination and when I left nothing was wrong with it. Got in it tonight after work and it is very cold outside and it was stuck again. Called Mazda earlier and said they was no recall on it. Got online afterwards and found numerous people with the same problem. I got it checked out before with Mazda while under warranty and they told me nothing was wrong with.

- Garner, NC, USA

Nov 302005

Tribute

The gas pedal will get stuck in the up position periodically. It happens more often during the cold seasons. I have had many close calls getting into an accident while making a right turn and on coming traffic is approaching during the time I am trying to accelerate to get on to the lane and my accelerator gets stuck and the car is still slowly moving. I will literally have to continuously stomp on the pedal to get it to go down and once it does it accelerates quickly causing the vehicle to forward. I have taken it in the dealer to see what the issue was and they told me it was due to the carbon build up on the butterfly causing it to get stuck but even after getting the flush out it continued to get stuck while I am driving. I have gone online to see if anyone else has had this issue and sure enough there was.

- Elk Grove , CA, USA

Dec 172012

Tribute 6-cyl

When apply full or almost full pressure to the gas peddle the throttle sticks causing the car to speed forward and the brakes do not engage fully to stop the vehical. Thhis happened 3 times so far. I had use the emergency brake. I had the recall repair done this occured after it was done. They did something to the engine cover but later had it removed because I thought that was still it. But even without the engine on the car the throttle still sticks. Dealership says it does not know why I am having the problem.

- Plantation, FL, USA

Nov 012007

Tribute 4-cyl

I have repeatedly had problems with the gas pedal sticking. Not in the "on" position but rather when I try to accelerate after stopping or deceleration it will stick and I can not push it down. It happens more when it is cold out. I am reading pages and pages on the internet of this happening with Mazda Tributes around my cars age. It seems potentially very dangerous. Also, since folks like myself have gotten it 'repaired' and it has recurred this does not seem like a worn part but rather a defect. Please help!

- Redwood City, CA, USA