2005 Mazda Tribute suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Mazda Tribute:

2005 Mazda Tribute Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Sep 212016

While driving loud banging noise from rear of vehicle.right rear inner fender well and shock mount rusted out. Shock mount no longer attached to vehicle. Possible suspension collapse if driven. Mazda issued a previous recall on models up to 2004.

- Milan, IL, USA

Sep 142016

While driving at any speed, the vehicle made a loud bumping noise. My mechanic diagnosed that the entire rear passenger side wheel well was rusted out and the shock tower was unsupported.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Aug 012016

In the rear passenerger side wheel well, rusted out so bad rear shock has pulled away from body, causing jole all wsy thru car. Saw online this is a commom problem with this model and sister Ford escape heard recalls for 02 thru 04 models.

- Newport, MI, USA

Aug 012016

While driving the vehicle at a speed of about 35 mph I felt what appeared to be a flat tire. After checking the tire, there was nothing obvious showing. At speeds about 55 mph the sensation of a flat tire ceased, however, as soon as I would slow down, it would return, along with a loud noise. I took the car in to Firestone tire. They discovered that the passenger side rear wheel well is completely rusted out. The strut housing is exposed and the wheel is at risk for literally separating from the vehicle. We were told that any small rear impact could cause the rear end of the vehicle to completely separate from the rest of the car. After having the vehicle checked by several different mechanics and body shops we were told that the vehicle is unsafe to drive and requires over $5800 in repairs. After contacting Mazda, they refuse to acknowledge this as a recall and the only off they made was for $1,500-$3,000 off the purchase of a brand new Mazda. We have cared for our vehicle impeccably. It only has 135,000 miles on it and has always had all maintenance performed. All other areas of the vehicle are in good condition. This is obviously an issue with the parts that were used on the assembly line during production. I find it very hard to believe that only one side in one area of the vehicle would rust out like this. Mazda should take responsibility for this before someone is seriously hurt or killed.

- Cottleville, MO, USA

Jul 312016

The contact owns a 2005 Mazda Tribute. While driving 30 mph, there was an abnormal sound coming from the rear passenger side of the vehicle. The contact stated that there was a grinding sound coming from the rear of the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic to be diagnosed. The contact was informed that the subframe and shock mounts fractured from excessive corrosion. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 131,000.

- Centennial, CO, USA

Jun 222016

Passenger side rear wheel well completely rusted out, exposing and causing failure in the associated shock. The rear bumper now rattles over even the tiniest bit of uneven pavement and the car will sway in the back rear over larger bumps hit with that back wheel. First noticed going over uneven pavement after being parked for about 4 hours. Nothing prompted it other than a piece of uneven road may have been the final straw. This is apparently becoming a common problem in the 2005 Mazda Tributes and was addressed in a recall for 2001-2004 Tributes. Same problem, same area (passenger side rear wheel well) this is not safe!

- Shaker Heights, OH, USA

Jun 042016

Loud clunking on bumps and a tendency for an unusual sway in some circumstances while driving on the highway led to taking a look under the right rear of the car. A whole 8"X12" roughly oval piece of the right rear inner wheel well has rusted through where the upper shock mount is attached. Right rear shock is no longer attached to the car at the top. Vehicle is not safe to drive. It appears this was a recall issue in prior years, which was not corrected for the 2005 year.

- Edgewood, MD, USA

May 302016

The passenger side rear wheel well is rusted out and the shock absorber is exposed and barely supported. The driver side is fine. There was a recall for this problem for the prior 4 years to this. It will be un-driveable soon.

- Schenectady, NY, USA

May 182016

My right rear wheel well is completely rotted out. My body shop told me this should not ever happen. Also told me it was a bad piece of steel used in the manufacture and I could have been killed if it had not been detected and I kept driving it. The rest of my SUV is immaculate. I have seen other complaints on this. It is costing me $1500 to repair. I was driving and started hearing a rattling sound and stopped at a mechanic. My mechanic told me thank god you stopped before you got hurt.

- Conshohocken, PA, USA

Apr 252016

The contact owns a 2005 Mazda Tribute. While driving at any speed, the vehicle made a loud bumping noise. The dealer diagnosed that the vehicle was corroded near the rear passenger side suspension and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 97,000.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Apr 012016

Inner wheel well rusted cracked leaving shock tower unattached. Mazda has issued a recall for this problem on 2001-04 models. The problem persists on the 2005 models as well but there is no recall.

- Augusta, MI, USA

Feb 222016

The contact owns a 2005 Mazda Tribute. While driving 40 mph, the rear passenger side tire felt like it was flat. The contact had to steer the vehicle in excess to keep it in position. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that there was corrosion at the forward attachment of the lower control arm. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 115,000.

- Overland, KS, USA

Apr 042016

2005 Mazda while driving on a city street I heard a loud clunk coming from the right rear of the vehicle. I discovered that the right rear wheelhouse had rusted out and the shock tower had completely broken off. The left wheelhouse is close behind. This is the same problem addressed by a Mazda recall for 2001-2004 models. Why hasn't Mazda been forced to address the problem with the 2005 model?

- Augusta, MI, USA

Mar 152016

Similar to others, started hearing a knocking/rattling in the right rear. Upon inspection the right rear wheel well is rusted out, and the knocking continues to get worse. Similar to the recall by Mazda for 2001 - 2004 models. Car will be unsafe to drive and should be addressed by Mazda.

- Algonquin, IL, USA

Mar 122016

My 2005 Mazda Tribute AWD S is rusted out in the right rear wheelhouse along with the shock tower. Not drivable and sitting stationary. Why recalls only up to 2004 models" very disappointed. Doesn't make sense as there are many complaints on this issue. I have a car not drivable and no money for a new one. Retired with a fixed income. Help!!?"

- North Providence, RI, USA

Mar 032016

A noise in the left rear developed and the rear shock broke off. Upon inspection it was determined that excessive corrosion on the entire frame from behind the front seat area back rendered the vehicle unsafe to drive. I contacted Mazda Corp and was tld that yes there were known cases of excessive corrosion on that er as well as Ford escapes due to defective metal used in manufacturing. I was told it was not my fault as I could not have prevented it. That there was nothing they could do as the vehicle was out of warrantee. The Mazda dealer who inspected the vehicle stated it was ne of the worst cases they had seen and not to drive it. I was forced to trade it in at a great loss because I need a vehicle.

- Port Charlotte, FL, USA

Mar 062016

As others have stated the 2005 Mazda Tribute has a serious factory/manufacturing defect that Mazda has blatantly ignoring. While driving in the city limits the vehicle began making a loud thumping noise coming from the passenger rear. Upon inspection found that there was beyond major rust making the vehicle unsafe. The vehicle currently has 123,817 miles. The rest of the vehicle is in very good condition. The passenger side rear wheel well and shock mount are completely rusted out. It is unsafe to drive and Mazda needs to address this issue immediately. Maybe they prefer to see someone killed or seriously injured by the kind of accident this failure could cause. A vehicle in otherwise good condition with this mileage should not relegate the vehicle to the junk yard or leave the owner with a $2000- $3000 repair.

- Ithaca, NY, USA

Feb 052016

• 1,390,000 miles
Start hearing loud noise thumbing sound in the right side of the back end by the shocks as we were driving. It started getting louder and more consisted. Took to Ford dealer they looked at it said it would cost about $3,000+ to fix. Then we find out that the 2001-04 had a recall on them for the same issue, but they overlooked the 05 this is not right. Ford should take responsibility for this because I am sure they new that they should of recalled these trucks as well. Look how many just on here have the same issue. Ford said they just had several in that they just fixed. Obviously there is a problem. When we first took it to get look at cause we were not sure what the noise was they told us we need to get it fixed the shock could possibly come through the floor board if not.

- Waukesha, WI, USA

Mar 032016

There is excessive corrosion of the rear structure of my Mazda. The noise from the passenger rear became a thunking and today I found the top portion of the strut had rusted and broke off. Upon further inspection it was found that the entire rear has excessive rusting to the structure. I found that this problem resulted in a recall of the same vehicle 2001-2004. Upon further inspection the mechanic stated he could not put the vehicle on a lift due to the extensive corrosion of the frame. I contacted Mazda customer service and they stated that although there was a recall for corrosion it did not include my VIN. The rear strut being broken and the bracket that holds it in place are no longer attached.

- Port Charlotte, FL, USA

Feb 112016

As research has shown the 2001 - 2004 Tributes have recalls on the subframe of the vehicle, my 2005 has the same problem on the subframe and is so rusted out that it is ready to break apart. I believe this is the same part as the earlier models and my VIN has been left out of the recall, I would really be great full if we can have this matter resolved before it becomes a tragic matter while driving the vehicle. Thank you very much for your time. I remain. My vehicle will be going into the dealer tomorrow morning for a different recall matter at bay shore Mazda in long island N.Y. if you have any questions please feel free to contact me at 9176477868

- Rego Park, NY, USA