2.4

2008 Mazda Tribute drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Mazda Tribute:

2008 Mazda Tribute Owner Comments

Nov 222015

Tribute

The contact owns a 2008 Mazda Tribute. While at a red light, the vehicle would not respond when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The vehicle was idling and moving, but there was no acceleration. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was invalid. The approximate failure mileage was 127,800.

- Mckinny, TX, USA

Jul 012015

Tribute

The contact owns a 2008 Mazda Tribute. While driving at unknown speeds, the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle hesitated to accelerate. The contact noticed that there was a sudden increase of engine rpms and the throttle and power train warning lights illuminated. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 124,000.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Sep 262013

Tribute 4-cyl

Vehicle suddenly lost power at highway speed (60+ mph) with red triangle warning symbol and "stop safely now" message. Event has happened on several occasions with similar safety risks associated with unexpected loss of power while driving at highway speeds. Dealer recommends replacing throttle body similar to customer service replacement under way with Ford escape (same vehicle, different badge). However, Mazda does not recognize/acknowledge any responsibility in the matter and treats the incident as just another service event. Unpredictable condition puts drivers at significant safety risk. Needs to be addressed given this is a known issue with the Ford variant. Mazda's smaller share of the market is not an excuse to ignore the safety risk.

- Canyon Country, CA, USA

Jan 172014

Tribute 4-cyl

I was driving home from work and I reached a stop light. I pushed the gas and it went to the floor and revved up very high but did not move. I did this three times. The third time I did this it revved and went to floor but actually moved as normal. This cycle happened twice through stop lights before the orange wrench came on. It began feeling very weird to drive so I drove it straight to a Firestone where they told me my transmission was almost shot. This car is very well taken care of and was fine that morning prior to the incident. It was scary to drive and continued for 18 miles until I reached the Firestone.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jul 282012

Tribute 4-cyl

Took the vehicle to the local Firestone store for service to have the transmission fluid changed and flushed and they told me that the transmission cooler was leaking and this was a common problem with the 2008 Mazda Tribute and Ford escort and the only way to fix it was to replace the entire radiator because they were built into the same part. They told me $550 min. To replace. I then did some online research and went to the local Mazda dealer. They said it was a common problem and that Mazda had a program to fix this but the date was up and that there was nothing to do but pay to fix it. The Mazda dealer said $1100 to fix it. I went nuts and told them this was a rip-off. They said they would call Mazda to see if they would do anything to help with the cost since this was a known problem and there was a program to fix it for customers. They call back last Thursday to tell me that Mazda was not interested in helping in anyway and rejected the request. I told them this would make the decision for me on buying a fourth Mazda. I'm a repeat customer and they didn't even ask that information prior to making a decision. The is a bad problem with these vehicles and Mazda needs to step up and fix it!!!

- Greer, SC, USA

May 012012

Tribute 4-cyl

Automatic transmission oil leaking from transmission cooler.

- Amston, CT, USA

Feb 262011

Tribute

The contact owns a 2008 Mazda Tribute. The contact stated that when driving at any speed, the vehicle would jerk abnormally. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was told that transmission coolant was leaking and causing the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 21,590.

- New York, NY, USA

Feb 242010

Tribute

My 2008 Mazda Tribute AWD 4I gas pedal sticks in cold weather and sometimes in warm weather (exact problem compared to 2005 model year complaints). It happens usually when I get into the car on a cold morning and have not properly warmed the car up. A few times it has happened on the highway after I have fully taken my foot off the gas (say to brake) and then return my foot to the gas pedal. The pedal will refuse to push down even with my full body weight (240lb man) on the pedal. I find I have to jiggle my foot and step on the pedal multiple times to get it to go down. A few times I had to pull over and play with it. Every time I get it to the dealer, the problem goes away and they say there is nothing they can do for me. My main concern is that all the complaints from the 2005 Mazda Tribute are exactly the same as what I am experiencing and I am worried.

- Dover, NH, USA

Aug 292009

Tribute

Leaking transmission cooler at 42,300 miles. Leaking fluid is being picked up by the cooling fan and air moving through the engine compartment and being spread through the engine compartment and thus a fire hazard. Also, if the leak had not been caught the transmission would have run dry and locked up potentially causing a wreck.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Sep 072008

Tribute

We are having transmission cooler problems. Our 2008 Tribute has a major leak...or shall I say pour. The item is recalled. We live 1100 km away from dealership.....so we could potentially ruin the transmission if we drive that far...and we do not have $4000 to get it towed. So here we are with a 2008 Mazda Tribute that we can not drive because of a tranny leak. What to do.

- Yellowknife, 00, USA