2008 Mazda Tribute engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Mazda Tribute:

2008 Mazda Tribute Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Apr 202012

Tribute 4-cyl

As others have reported, I could not depress the accelerator. It was stuck. This happened about 3 times during a drive cross country. It really wasn't that cold - in the 40S or 50S. No matter how hard I pressed (while the car was running and in neutral), it wouldn't go down. Finally after trying it a number of times, I could depress the accelerator and drive. This is very dangerous, as one is trying to turn into traffic and nothing happens other than rolling forward since there is no acceleration. This should be a major recall to repair this issue!!!!

- Methuen, MA, USA

Apr 092012

Tribute 4-cyl

Accelerator pedal gets stuck in partial acceleration position during acceleration and will not press down further past partial to full acceleration during cold mornings to accelerate faster (less than 35 degrees farenheit). Pedal typically works fine after vehicle warms up. Releasing pressure from pedal usually allows pedal to return to rest/nominal position for next attempt to press down to accelerate. Sometimes it is stuck again sometimes it works.

- Flat Rock, MI, USA

Dec 282011

I purchased my Mazda Tribute new in 2007. This problem started in 2010 in the winter. From time to time, the gas pedal would stick in the upright position, usually when accelerating from a full stop, but sometimes driving in traffic. The past few weeks, my son has been driving the car and has noticed the sticking pedal situation also. I had asked the dealership previously to check this out, but they said they could not get the pedal to stick when they drove it. I am taking it back in tomorrow and leaving it so they can test it after it is cold for a while. This is very dangerous. I have had problems when stopped to make a left turn, and then trying to accelerate to make the turn. So far I have been lucky, but left turns after a full stop are scary to say the least.

- Geneva, IL, USA

Dec 042011

Tribute 4-cyl

My gas pedal keeps sticking on occasion when in idle or slow driving. I need to press the gas pedal harder to get it from being stuck and then my vehicle lunges forward. Called for a service appointment.

- South Williamsport, PA, USA

Oct 302011

The throttle cable was jammed in the idle position, and the car would not go forward after backing out of the driveway at idle, I had to pull the car back into the driveway with are 2nd car to let traffic go by as are driveway is on a slight incline, this could have been a real problem if my wife had not been home to help steer one of the cars or if someone had come speeding down the road and not seen it crossways of the road.

- Goodlettsville , TN, USA

Oct 292011

Gas pedal would not compress, stuck for several minutes in the upright position. Could not accelerate onto the highway. Had to coast slowly onto shoulder of the onramp in heavy traffic. Turning the car off and back on did not fix the problem. Tried for several minutes to compress, finally it became unstuck on its own. Happened again approaching train tracks, got stuck on the tracks with no acceleration, luckily it was only for a few seconds this time. Very unsafe.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Jan 102008

Gas pedal sticks on acceleration. Mostly happens on cold mornings and when shifting from low to high speeds. I don't feel safe driving this vehicle and it should be a Mazda recall. I have contacted my local Mazda dealership and was told they never heard of such an issue. After doing some internet research it appears the gas pedal is the number one issue with the 2008 Mazda Tribute. Also when contacting the dealership they informed me my warranty expired the day before and refused to look at car without charging me.

- Springfield, OR, USA

Mar 122011

Tribute 4WD 6-cyl

Acceleration issue. Throttle cable snapped at the firewall nearest to the gas pedal, so I was unable to accelerate and had to coast to the shoulder of the expressway.

- New York, NY, USA

Nov 022010

The contact owns a 2008 Mazda Tribute. The contact stated that the accelerator pedal was stuck and would not depress when the contact attempted to accelerate from a stop. After applying heavy pressure to the pedal, the vehicle began to accelerate. The failure occurred intermittently during cold weather. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was told this was a known failure and the throttle body assembly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 28,000 and the current mileage was 33,000.

- Newburgh, IN, USA

Jan 172011

2008 Mazda Tribute gas pedal sticks. This has happened on several occasions even when having to accelerate. My vehicle jerks forward when I have to press the pedal hard to get my vehicle to move. It is uncomfortable and yet scary when driving.

- Richlands, NC, USA

Dec 272010

Tribute 4-cyl

2008 Mazda Tribute, approx, 72,000 miles. The gas pedal sticks in cold weather. We live in the baton rouge area so it doesn't get cold often, but the last few day's we've had lows in the 20's and the gas pedal has a sticking issue. It's hard to press and when it finally does the vehicle lunges forward. We had this same issue last year when it also got abnormally cold for this area.

- Prairieville, LA, USA

Dec 012010

Accelerator became stiff on cold mornings. Accelerator cable clip broke, Tribute would not accelerate at all. (fell to floor) clip replaced, still sticking. Taking back to dealership to see what else is going on.

- Rougon, LA, USA

Oct 102009

Tribute 4-cyl

I have a 2008 Mazda Tribute that has a sticking accelerator, especially when the weather is cold. Even after the car is warm the accelerator will sometimes stick and will not allow the vehicle to accelerate. Today after driving the vehicle about five miles it would not accelerate when I tried to get on the interstate. This has been going on that I have noticed for about a year. It first happened October 2009.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Nov 142010

My 2008 Mazda Tribute has about 68,500 miles. The gas pedal stuck, at intervals, all through my drive back home from my parents. It is about a 25 mile drive on the highway. The pedal became stuck once I depressed it. In order to accelerate, I had to press on the pedal with abnormal force. The car would jerk forward once the pedal became unstuck and I was able to accelerate again. This is not the first time that my 2008 Mazda Tribute does this. It did a while back when my car had about 30,000 miles. It did it two times. However, it never did it again until today, 11-14-2010. This time, however, the pedal got stuck well over 10 times. The car would decelerate while I used more and more force on the gas pedal until the pedal gave and I was able to accelerate again. I had my wife and children in the car. I did not feel safe driving the SUV. Doing research on the net and on the NHTSA this seems to be a problem which is happening to an abnormal number of 2008 Mazda Tributes throughout the usa. Why hasn't Mazda done a recall" why hasn't the NHTSA ordered a recall" this is very dangerous!

- Glen Ellyn, IL, USA

Nov 052010

Tribute 4-cyl

The gas pedal is sticking, not allowing you to accelerate. My wife and I purchased this car so that our son would be safe. It has happened at stop signs and on the highway going 65-70mph. It happened around ten separate occasions, mostly in the morning. I would hate for my family to be in the car when something were to happen. We want to fix the problem but this seems to be a chronic issue with the Mazda Tribute. We love our car. Can you please help?

- Owasso, OK, USA

Feb 012010

Accelerator pedal is sticky. It becomes very difficult to push, then will suddenly release and allow you to accelerate. Happens every morning, and lasts for about 5-10 minutes. Condition is worsening. Dealer "cleaned throttle body", but it did not fix the problem. I returned the vehicle to the dealer who said the throttle body should be replaced. Mazda extended warranty initially denied my claim for repair stating "not a covered part". however, they now say it is a covered part, but still have not yet agreed to pay for the repair. I was told that if I pay $100 that the dealer would run some type of cleaner into my gas tank, but with no guarantee it would work. This would not be covered by my extended warranty. A badly sticking accelerator pedal should now be classified as a safety concern!

- Dexter, MI, USA

Mar 142010

Gas pedal sticks, preventing you from accelerating the vehicle. So when driving down the road you might be fine, or you could be sitting idle, until the gas pedal will free up. This has probably happened 30 times or more. Needs to be recalled. Also around 30,000 miles the paint started coming off all the door trim.

- Sneedville, TN, USA

Mar 072010

2008 Mazda Tribute: Accelerator sticks in the unaccelerated position. Have had I fixed before and the mechanic new exactly what the problem was. He fixes at least two a week. He said the throttle cable runs through the intake and it accumulates grime until it sticks. Costs me $75 bucks everytime. One day mr Mazda is going to be sitting infront of a congressional hearing explaining why a mother and her kids couldn't get off of the rxr tracks in time. Because her pedal stuck.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Feb 162010

The gas pedal of my vehicle sticks when it is first depressed, after setting idle at traffic stops. It also sticks when first accelerating the vehicle on most mornings. This has occurred several times, and has become very frequent. The most recent incident was on Tuesday, February 16, 2010.

- Columbia, MS, USA

Dec 152009

The gas pedal sticks. You must press gas pedal abnormally hard and then when it gives the car lunges forward dangerously and unexpectedly. Requires repeated throttle body cleaning. Dealership recommends replacing the throttle body every time--a $130 part.

- Charlotte, NC, USA