2.6

2007 Mercedes-Benz C230 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Mercedes-Benz C230:

2007 Mercedes-Benz C230 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jan 302014

C230 6-cyl

While driving wouldn't accelerate RPM's went up but no acceleration I was finally able to pull over and tried to accelerate got high RPM's but barely moved. Placed in park shifted very hard shifted back to drive shifted hard again. Same thing happened got high RPM's very little movement. Turned car off then started back up everything was ok. Has happened quite a few times can be hot, cold, driving around a lot or just started up.

- Concord, CA, USA

Jan 232014

C230

The transmission slips form takeoff allowing the engine to rev without engaging. I am concerned that a vehicle with such low mileage would exhibit such issues. After reading about the numerous complaints and Mercedes response to customers, one would conclude that this is caused by a faulty design. Case in point, Mercedes will not allow the faulty part to be rebuilt. They require that the part is replaced with a "new" part from the factory. Again, one is only left to conclude that they are covering up the failure by not allowing the part to be rebuilt in the field. Surely, if it were a maintenance issue they would have rebuild kits available. However, their solution is to bury the expense and hide the problem leaving customers to bear the entire burden of repairing a faulty design. I find this to be in parallel with the "Ford pinto gas tank."

- Midway, UT, USA

Nov 072013

C230

I have been driving and on multiple occasions I have had the car unable to shift out of gear, each time I had to turn the car off and restart. Today after attempting to try this again today Dec.17, 2013 I finally had to car a tow truck because the car would not shift gears.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Feb 052013

C230

The contact owns a 2007 Mercedes Benz C230. The contact stated that while at a traffic stop, there was an increase in engines rpms as the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the transmission speed sensor was defective and needed to be reset. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 67,000 and the current mileage was 74,000.

- Yuba , CA, USA

Jul 112013

C230

While driving, my car would not shift to the next gear. I pulled over and shifted into park. The car jerked hard. Then I put the car in drive and it jerked hard again. I pulled away and the car had low power and then would not shift passed second gear. I pulled over again and shifted the car to park, turned off the engine, turned it back on and shifted to drive and it worked fine. It's now done this about 15 times while driving at different speeds.

- Provo, UT, USA

Oct 012013

C230

The contact owns a 2007 Mercedes Benz C230. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the vehicle failed to respond to acceleration attempts. The contact started the vehicle and attempted to accelerate but the vehicle would not engage past first gear as the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic, who stated that the speed sensor had to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure and current mileage was 82,000. The VIN was not available.

- Marietta, GA, USA

May 012012

C230 6-cyl

I purchased my 2007 C230 new from the dealership. My car has been experiencing transmission issues of the car not down shifting into the next gear and the car's speed declining while driving. This has happened driving on surface streets at 20mph and on the freeway going 65mph. I've even attempted to take it out of automatic drive and into manual shift and the car will not respond. The only way to "reboot" it is if I pull over and turn the vehicle off and restart it after a few minutes. This is a major mechanical/manufacturer defect as my vehicle has been well maintained and only has 40,000 miles!!! to have to pull over on a major interstate is not safe by any means. When taking it to the dealership they inspected it and diagnosed the problem as a transmission valve failure that will need replacement at a cost of $1300. For a vehicle that only has 40,000 miles, well maintained with regular service this is unacceptable. I purchased a Mercedes based on their reliability and when contacting corporate for review in the matter they said they would be able to offer me a 10% discount. I do not have a problem paying for regular up keep and if other items need to be updated/replaced to keep the car in good condition but to have transmission issues at 40,000 miles is absolutely unacceptable and is a manufacture defect that needs review and recall.

- Hermosa Beach, CA, USA

May 242013

C230

I was driving about 60 mph suddenly my car was jerking and shaking the speed started to decrease and the car suddenly turned off I was able to pull over to the side of the road and I had to turn the key to start it the engine light turned on and I was able to drive off like regular. The next day I was on the freeway exiting I was going like 40 mph when I decreased my speed to stop and make a turn my RPM was at high 4-5 and my speed was 20mph I had to step on the pedal all the way just to get to 20 mph.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Feb 042013

C230

Car will not go over 20 miles after stopping. I have to pull over put the car in park and restart. The car will run fine for awhile and a day or so later, the problem returns. This is extremely unsafe when your in traffic. I'm so afraid I'm going to get hit from behind trying to get off the road. I have been to 3 mechanics and told they cannot fix the problem due the theft deterrent on the car. I have an appointment at Mercedes on Friday and have been told it will be approx. $2000 to replace the plate in the transmission. Something needs to be done.

- Fairhope, AL, USA

Nov 142012

C230 6-cyl

My original complaint was on 08/16/2012 (number 10473170).... again, the transmission gear indicator went blank. Car went into "limp home" mode. This time removing the key and restarting did not reset the module and I had the repair done. The repair on this was almost $2000! it was the transmission speed sensor which is part of the electrical conductor plate assembly. Prior to this incident, the dealership service rep admitted that they have many repairs with transmission control problems and encouraged me to buy an extended warranty! online there are many complaints regarding the 2006- 2007 C230's with the same problem. There is clearly a defect going on and I too would like a recall investigation through the NHTSA. Mb needs to admit this is a problem and recall all the vehicles with this defect.

- Portland, OR, USA

Jan 072013

C230 6-cyl

I was stopped at a red light and when I accelerated the car didn't change from 2nd to 3rd gear and the tachometer was reading very high since I was trying to accelerate. Since the car wouldn't excel I pulled over and turned off the engine. When I turned it on again it was okay. I took the car to the Mercedes dealership 1/8/13 but they couldn't find a problem. This has happened a total of 4 times since 1/7/13 and each time I have to pull over and turn off the engine to reset it. Additionally, I have had a problem with the car lurching (jumping) when putting it into drive or reverse and when accelerating after this the car doesn't change from 1st to 2nd gear. Also, I have had 2 incidents where the car has not accelerated to the appropriate gear (higher gear) on a highway ramp and I have had to pull over and turn the engine off to reset it. Sometimes when I pull over and turn the car off I have to do this again as it doesn't correct the problem the 1st time in my opinion this is a safety issue, but not only that it is very annoying and every time I get into the car I wonder whether it is going to happen again.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Nov 012007

C230

The contact owns a 2007 Mercedes Benz C230. The contact stated that the engine rpms increased to 4,000 however, the vehicle would not accelerate over 20 mph. The failure was experienced numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times for the failure. The dealer performed a diagnostic that was unable to locate a failure code. The vehicle was taken back the dealer and a second diagnostic was performed which located the failure at the transmission conductor plate. The dealer flushed the transmission and replaced the conductor plate. The failure was not corrected. The vehicle still would not accelerate over 20 mph. The contact coasted to the shoulder, turned the engine off and restarted the vehicle in order to gain acceleration abilities. The failure mileage was 9,392 and the current mileage was 32,000.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Nov 212012

C230 6-cyl

I have periodically had this problem. From a stop, the car will not accelerate. It feels like it is stuck in a higher gear. Or, the opposite happens. I will accelerate, and the car will not change from second to third gear. I have to pull over and restart the engine, and then it works. I have seen numerous complaints online from other owners that they have the same problem. I took it to mb and paid $1450.34 to get the electric hydro control unit in my transmission replaced.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

May 152012

C230 6-cyl

I purchased my car brand new, it was never previously owned and directly from a Mercedes Benz dealer. I started having problems with speed and gear shifting back in May 2012. When driving on the freeway normal speed (55mph) the car would begin to slow down no matter how much I pressed the accelerator the car would slow to a complete stop. I would have to attempt to pull over off the freeway, turn the car completely off, let it sit and then start it again and the car would run normal. When I get off the freeway or now even when I am driving on a back road going 35 mph the car would shake as I came to a stop sign or traffic light (as if I was driving a stick shift and didn't put the car in neutral or press the clutch) and then it would shut down completely. Now I am having a third issue in addition to these issues where the car will shift gears on it's own and I'm driving in automatic mode not as a 5 speed. This is completely ridiculous for me to have transmission issue on a Mercedes Benz that I purchased new. I took it to a dealer who claims that I have to replace the entire transmission due to one small piece within the transmission system. I have checked online and have seen that hundreds of other Benz owners are having the same problems with no resolution from the manufacturer. I am requesting an investigation and a recall. This is an extreme safety hazard that a car will completely shut down while on a freeway and there have been times when I have almost collided with other cars due to the immediate decline in speed. I have to always find a way to pull over to shut off the car. I purchased this car because of the quality that it should provide. Please follow up with me regarding this issue I am extremely concerned that requests are being ignored by the manufacturer and no one is looking into this matter.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Oct 232012

C230 6-cyl

I was driving on the freeway and noticed that my car would not accelerate and rev high in RPM. I have to pull over on the shoulder of the freeway since I am losing control of the car. I was about to call the tow service but I recover after I restarted the engine. At the dealership, the dealer has determined to a sensor on the transmission but said since my warranty expired, I have to pay $1300 to get the sensor replaced. This is terrible since my car has only 45000 miles on it. In addition, this is a common issue based on the forum discussion and Mercedes should have a recall on this issue. This is a terrible customer experience and I don't know how I can trust them.

- Cupertino, CA, USA

Sep 162011

C230 6-cyl

I was on the highway and the car suddenly stopped accelerating and the RPM's ran way up and the car would not accelerate. I tried putting it in neutral then drive and nothing. I pulled over turned the car off for a few min. Then back on. The car operated normally. The check engine light also came on and I had all the necessary service done on the car at that time. The car has done this increasingly for the last year and it is now becoming a hazard. The car has started jumping when put in drive and it is alarming. I cannot afford to replace the transmission and I feel Mercedes should take responsibility for a defect in this model. I have children and this is my only car. I don't feel safe in it anymore and my children don't either.

- Hoover, AL, USA

Aug 162012

C230

It occurred on the freeway in stop-and-go traffic. The vehicle would not accelerate and the RPM ran high. The transmission gear indicator went blank. I had to pull over, turn the car off, let it sit, then when I restarted the vehicle, it was normal again. I had only 38,400 miles on the vehicle at the time of the failure! online there are many complaints regarding the 2006 2007 C230's with the same problem. An independent repair shop said it is perhaps the transmission speed sensor which is part of the electrical conductor plate assembly. When talking to the dealership about my vehicles camshaft sensor failure repair and possible balance shaft issues, 7 months prior to this incident, the service rep admitted that they have many repairs with transmission control problems and encouraged me to buy an extended warranty! here is a quote from an independent repair shop: "these units are failing so often that the dealer has restricted selling them even in their own shop. To order a part, the dealer must submit a request with computer scans and control unit log reports of the suspected failed vehicle's electronics. The factory then sends the parts they deem necessary for the repair (conductor plate assembly, or complete valve body)." There is clearly a defect going on and I too would like a recall investigation through the NHTSA. The repair on this is thousands of dollars!

- Portland, OR, USA

Jul 092012

C230 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Mercedes C230. The contact stated that while exiting the highway, the vehicle engaged from park to neutral independently and decelerated. The contact stated that the vehicle had to be turned off in order to correct the problem. The contact took the vehicle to a mechanic and was told that the failure could have been a problem with the transmission internal speed sensor or the shaft balancer. The failure mileage was 71,321 but updated 9/10/12

- Regall Park, NY, USA

Jun 222012

C230

I have a C230 sports sedan with 45,000 miles. The transmission had been sticking in gear, but if I turned the car off and removed the key it would reset and usually be ok for a while. Now it is stuck in first gear, and nothing I have tried has done any good. It will not shift out of first gear. It has an automatic manual transmission but the manual function does not work and even trying to shift manually does no good. This is a common problem with this model and yet mb has never issued a recall. This is pretty clearly a factory defect and needs to be addressed.

- Mountain Brook, AL, USA

Jun 302011

C230 6-cyl

Car seems to stay in one gear and does not downshift or upshift when needed. The only solution is to stop car, turn off and restart. It is a risk to enter a main road because of not knowing what gear the auto trans is locked or if it will shift to another gear to get up to speed. Dealer checked car once and said they could not find anything wrong but it seems it is a known issue the transmission problem for these model year.

- Mason, OH, USA