2008 Mercedes-Benz C300 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Mercedes-Benz C300:

2008 Mercedes-Benz C300 Owner Comments (Page 5 of 9)

Oct 252014

C300

I drove to the store and when I got in my car to leave the ignition would not start when I put the key in and tried to turn it on. The steering wheel was locked and I could not change the gears of the car to neutral or any other gear. I had my car towed to the nearest Mercedes Benz dealership and they performed a full inspection and found that the steering is locked.

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Oct 152014

C300

Electronic steering lock malfunctioned. I'm now out $1100 because of a problem so common, a guy who hadn't even seen my car was able to guess the make, model, and year of my car just by telling him the issue. How has a recall not been made on this problem? car worked fine just two hours before it wouldn't start... unbelievable.

- Union City, CA, USA

Oct 112014

C300 6-cyl

This vehicle has had a trend among many people with their steering randomly defaulting. To get it fixed they quoted me 1300 dollars. Many people seem to have this problem right after their warranty expires. The person who contacted me said "there was a faulty steering problem". please correct me if I am wrong, but to me faulty means working badly or unreliably because of imperfections. I feel that this is a ridiculous thing to pay for especially knowing that this car is only 6 years old and I bought the car 6 months ago.I have never experienced something so vile and crooked from a company like this in my life. The car seemed to be working perfectly fine minutes before it decided to give out, 3 minutes to be exact. If I were to have been driving and the steering wheel where to have locked up on me on an interstate like that it could have been fatal. Someone needs to do something about this because it is getting out of control for a company to be able to scam customers like this.

- Del Rio, TX, USA

Oct 102014

C300 6-cyl

Walk home scenario due to vehicle not starting. Parked the car at work in the morning and in the evening going back home the car would not start. The ignition key turns but there was no cranking. Has an 8 month old battery. All electricals -like head lamp etc work. Checked all the fuses and they were ok. Googled on the internet and found that eis (electronic ignition switch) problem is a very common one on the C300's. could be a potential safety issue if the ignition switch doesnt work while the vehicle is running and vehicle stalls.

- Northville, MI, USA

Sep 292014

C300 6-cyl

Parked car in the garage from the day before. Was leaving for work the next morning and it would not start. I called for a tow truck. When the driver arrived, he tested the battery and said that its not the problem. So I drove my other car to work. A co worker has the same model car stated that she had the same problem. Her car was towed to dealership and she was told it was an ignition issue. What a coincidence!! after work I went home to see if the car would not start. The first attempt...nothing...the second attempt it started right away. Someone has to look into this. Two same model cars with the same issues. Had it been a dire situation where I need to flee from injury, the car could possible not start. NHTSA could you please check into this more thoroughly.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Oct 112011

C300 6-cyl

I turned on the command video screen and heavy smoke stated coming out of it.

- Macungie, PA, USA

Sep 262014

C300 6-cyl

My wife parked the car to get gas in a not so good neighborhood, due to being a school teacher in that area, key would unlock and lock door, and would let you turn key, but will not unlock steering wheel, and will not start car, neither did the lights on the dash light up (check engine, ABS, TPMS, ABS, etc), called roadside, towed to dealer, diagnosed and came up with bad steering lock(esl), was quoted $1200 for the repair, told them to go ahead since we need the car, car is still there today, did google search on this issue and found hundreds of customers with this same complaint. Now, I thought I bought a dependable car being that its a Mercedes, gonna get rid of it now and not buy this brand again, there is even a campaign service bulletin on this issue, I do have a case, which they will contact me tomorrow about this, Mercedes should cover this cost being that it is a safety issue, what if my wife was robbed, or even rapped because of where this happened, or what if the component decided to lock up at highway speeds, then will they recall this?

- Tamarac, FL, USA

Sep 092014

C300 6-cyl

I parked & locked my car walked away from it for 10 mins, when I cam back I was able to unlock the car the side mirror folded out. When I placed the key in the ignition the key turned but the engine did not start nor could I take the gear out of park. The dash had a message stating remove key from ignition. Thinking that the battery was dead I had the battery replace. I took it to a mechanic and was told that the problem was with the ignition switch & steering lock assembly.

- Hayward, CA, USA

Sep 012014

C300

Mercedes electronic steering lock (esl) failed. Car would not start due to the key not being recognized. I was able to close and open the doors, lights came on, but would not start. Battery was tested was is fine. Starter was fine. All fuses were fine. Towed to Mercedes and the esl is being changed at the cost of $1200. The automobile is still at the dealership one week later. Heard a lot of similar complaints online about this particular failure with the same models. I have spoken to Mercedes Benz of America in montvale NJ, but they insist since the auto is past the warranty period they cannot help me financially with the repairs, there should be a recall as Mercedes is aware of this and is not owning up to their mistake. There are many similar experiences and complaints from other owners with the C300 2008, 2009, and 2010 models. I knew what the mechanical/electrical issue was from reading the varied stories online and experiences from other owners, before it was diagnosed and looked at from the Mercedes dealership.

- Stamford , CT, USA

Sep 012012

C300 6-cyl

This complaint is being marked for deletion because it is an inadvertent duplicate of ODI# 10631875 TL* the contact owns a 2008 Mercedes Benz C300. The contact stated that the doors failed to lock manually. The contact mentioned that the power door lock switch had to be used in order for the doors to lock. In addition, when the driver side door was open and the power lock switch was activated, all the doors, except for the driver side door, failed to lock. The failure occurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 48,000. Updated 10/22/2014

- Wynnewood, OK, USA

Sep 012012

C300 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Mercedes Benz C300. The contact stated that the doors failed to lock manually. The contact mentioned that the power door lock switch had to be used in order for the doors to lock. In addition, when the driver side door was open and the power lock switch was activated, all the doors, except for the driver side door, failed to lock. The failure occurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 48,000. Updated 10/24/14 updated 4/16/2015

- Wynnewood, OK, USA

Sep 072014

C300 6-cyl

Mercedes electronic steering lock (esl) failed. Car would not start due to the key not being recognized. Everything else in the car works electronically, radio, windows, lights, etc. Battery was tested was is fine. Starter was fine. All fuses were fine. Towed to Mercedes and had esl changed for more than a thousand dollars. Heard a lot of similar complaints online about this particular failure with same models. This should be a recall as Mercedes is aware of this and is not owning up to their mistake.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Aug 312014

C300 6-cyl

I was driving when I got a right rear light tail and brake warning not working for the second time. I just replaced the bulbs a month ago July 2014. When I checked to replace them I smell something burnt and upon further close inspection I saw bared brown wire burnt connector (outer edge wire on the connector) and some signs of melting on the light assembly. The brown wire that was bare burnt through the connection that probably caused the shorting.

- Temecula, CA, USA

Aug 292014

C300

Parked by car as usual, came out an hour later and my car wouldn't start. The key fob locks and unlocks the door and the lights still come on but when I put the key in the ignition and turn the key the car won't start. The road side service technician stated the key fob is not being recognized and that is the reason the car won't start.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Aug 222014

C300 6-cyl

Eis steering failure, car unable to start! this happened less that a month after bringing my car in for expensive dealership service and everything checked out! buyer beware!

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 112014

C300

The engine dies. This is known by Mercedes Benz and is being reported all over. The ignition system needs to be recalled and replaced. Why is NHTSA dragging its feet on this issue. Someone will be injured or killed by this, if it has not already happened.

- Plantation, FL, USA

Aug 132014

C300 6-cyl

Parked the car in the garage and the next morning, the car would not start. First, I thought it was a battery problem. Changed the battery and used a new electronic key but the car would not start.

- San Leandro, CA, USA

Aug 162014

C300

The contact owns a 2008 Mercedes Benz C300. The contact stated that while parked the vehicle caught on fire, which started from the rear passenger side. The contact stated that a neighbor extinguished the fire. A police report was filed. The fire department determined that a failed fuse box caused the fire. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 52,000.

- Miami, FL, USA

Aug 082014

C300 6-cyl

Car would not start morning of 8/8. aaa was called. Tow truck driver determined it was not the battery and towed the car to mb service. Mercedes diagnosed the following issues with my 2008 C300 with 55K miles: Replace electrical ignition switch, $561 for the part. Replace electronic steering lock, $384 for the part. Reprogram both keys, $595. Labor for all of the above, tbd, as my car is still with Mercedes as I file this complaint with NHTSA on 8/15. These are obviously major and ongoing issues experienced by many C300 owners, and Mercedes is very well aware of the problem. They have simply found a great way to extort money from their customers, rather than doing the right thing and recalling these faulty parts before someone really gets hurt.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Jun 052013

C300

Many people have complained about the same issue in many forums. I wonder if someone has to be injured or killed (if not already) before something is done. The car arbitrarily and without notice dies and will not restart. It leaves the driver completely vulnerable, wherever it occurs. This is what happened in my situation. Nothing worked, I had to call, to be told that this is a battery issue. It was not, as determined by the tow truck company and the dealership, after the car was towed to them. Is this ever going to be investigated and recalled before further damage and/or injury occurs ?

- Plantation, FL, USA