2008 Mercedes-Benz C300 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Mercedes-Benz C300:

2008 Mercedes-Benz C300 Owner Comments (Page 8 of 9)

Dec 062013

C300 6-cyl

Started to get the message to check my rear, right turninf signa, fog lamps, brake lights. Checked all the bulbs and they are fine. Put the harness back and realized it was a little hot and when I looked the wire to the far right I think is expose and on the other side it is burnt through the plastic. Message comes off and on during driving.

- Vista, CA, USA

Nov 012013

C300 6-cyl

Connector (harness) is melted and shorted the circuit board for tail lights and is now inop.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 312013

C300

I drove my car home from work. Everything was working fine and ten minutes later when I went to go back to work, the car would not start. I could get all the electrical working, but the car would just not start up. I was told it was the steering lock, and it needs replaced.I got towed to the dealership and was told that my steering lock needs to be replaced. I don't feel safe driving this car anymore. Imaging driving in a bad part of town suddenly your "steering lock" malfunctions or my wife is driving and is stuck in a bad part of new orleans.

- Covington, LA, USA

Oct 182013

C300

My right passenger side tail light connector board is melted. All my lights stopped working at once and dealer stated its a faulty connector board that needs to be replaced. Same issue so many others have reported. Mb needs to recall this issue bc it makes no since I have to pay $400 for a well known issue that is hazardous which the dealer advised.

- Elgin, SC, USA

Sep 022013

C300 6-cyl

As reported multiple times by others, tail light connector is insufficient to handle the heat emanating from the ground (brown) wire. Connector burns. Cable covering melts. All tail lights (including brakes, turning and reverse) stop functioning. - safety issue- (not to mention gas tank sitting not too far from source of fire) preliminary symptoms: Random warning messages in dashboard about lights malfunctioning. One tail light dimmer than the other. Repairs required: New connector/new pins plus regrounding to avoid certain recurrence authorized dealers know well about the problem. "recall should be issued" "recall is surely coming" but will not replace if out of warranty references: Prior report chain NHTSA id number: 10499828 pictures and multiple information mbworld.org/forums/C-class-W204/465331-tail-light-connector-melted.html.

- Cold Spring Harbor, NY, USA

Jul 182013

C300 6-cyl

The wiring harness to the tail lamp on the right side was fried & filled with smoke and now the tail lamp goes very dim & almost off, but replacing with new bulb doesn't help.

- Alameda, CA, USA

Dec 142012

C300 6-cyl

Tail light message. Found harness melted on the passenger side tail light. Now I get a message from both sides.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jan 092013

C300

The contact owns a 2008 Mercedes Benz C300. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, the fuel gauge reading displayed empty although the fuel capacity level was half full. There was a recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number was 08V303000 (electrical system). The VIN was not included. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 45,000.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Aug 162013

C300 6-cyl

Cars automated warning system indicated problems with right rear lighting system ("check right rear turn signal etc"). took car to mechanic. There had been a short in the right rear electrical system...plastic circuit box exhibited signs of a short and melted plastic. Mechanic replaced wiring, circuit box and lights. Could very easily have had a fire in the trunk of the car.

- Greenville, SC, USA

Aug 012013

C300 6-cyl

Burning smell and melted connectors on rear tail light assembly.

- Garland, TX, USA

Jun 122013

C300 6-cyl

The left rear light was noticed to be dimmer than the right one. Once the light cluster was open up, a burn /melting of the electrical socket was noticed.

- Mclean, VA, USA

Aug 022013

C300

The left tail light connector and the plate connection melted. Reported the issue to mb dealer and mb cac but they refused to accept it as a design flaw. The explanation given to me was it melted because of heat of light bulbs. The same flaw has been reported on many forum and I think it is a recall item.

- Lawrenceville, NJ, USA

Jun 152013

C300 6-cyl

The right rear bulb assembly and harness have melted and are only intermittently functional.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Aug 242012

C300 6-cyl

Both tail lights lamp carriers and contact bushings had melted around ground wires in my 2008 C300 Mercedes.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Aug 062013

C300

Driver information system showed that the rear right brake lamp was out. While checking the rear tail light to replace the bulbs we checked the harness and it was completely melted! then I knew why I had smelt a burning smell before. I called my nearest Mercedes dealer ship and they said it would cost around $500-$600 to fix. I didn't have to explain he knew exactly what was talking about but im out of warranty. This should be fixed by Mercedes. Its absurd and needs to be brought to attention for our safety.

- Channelview, TX, USA

Apr 012013

C300 6-cyl

Ground wire to rear right tail light melted at the connection point to the tail light board and harness. Smelled smoke and found damage shortly after.

- Santa Rosa Beach , FL, USA

Jun 012011

C300 6-cyl

Noticed for the first time that the left rear brake and tail light was much more dim than the corresponding lights on the right side. I also noticed that these same lamps also flickered from dim to slightly brighter and reported on the next service appointment. When it came back from the dealer the problem was marginally better; however, it still exists to this day. I see numerous complaints on Mercedes owners hotlines with various degrees of success at that dealers. I have also seen comments about a so-called fix that has been mentioned. My complaint was never printed out on my copy of the work order for that service date either. I've given up.on complaining to Mercedes as I had another complaint to the factory which ended up just being brushed off as normal. Once again no documentation of that visit was given even thought a factory rep was present. My belief is that the tail lamps should be fairly equally bright in order to provide vehicles behind you an accurate location of the rear of my vehicle. A proper fix that completely corrects this issue should be required to be performed on these vehicles at no charge to the owners. I am the original purchaser of this vehicle.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Feb 202013

C300

Started the vehicle and there was a failure for head lights, tail lights and turn signals. I took the vehicle in to repair the bulbs and they told me the control board failed, melted and they replaced it. I was later told this is a common issue with the 2008 C300.

- Sherman Oaks, CA, USA

Jun 282013

C300 6-cyl

I have had numerous messages on my 2008 C300 Mercedes regarding tail light/ brake light out. I have noticed that my passenger side tail lights/ running lights are much dimmer than the driver side lights. I have inspected the wiring harness assembly on the passenger side and noticed significant discoloration with the "brown wire" and associated connector; the connector has also been "hot" to the touch. I have an appointment with my local Mercedes dealer next week to have it inspected/ evaluated. I really became more cautious following the recent news article regarding 2008-2009 Mercedes tail light issues. Something is not right and it needs to be addressed/ corrected.

- Suffolk, VA, USA

Dec 182012

C300 6-cyl

The right rear tail lights stopped working. After examining the wiring and harness were melted. Had to bring in to fix. The back board were the lights are on was also burnt. Now having problems on the left side. I just saw on the national news were other people are having the same problem with this year car. It seems the wiring is not proper size to handle the electric load. This is very dangerous driving this vehicle with the rear lights going out. The lights are running way to hot. Seems to be a defect on this year 2008 vehicle. I heard that this is being investigated by you. My wife is afraid to drive the car because of getting hit from behind because the problem with lights burning out or maybe a fire from the wiring melting. Mercedes says they will not fix and that this is not a problem.

- Zephyrhills, FL, USA