2008 Mercedes-Benz C300 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Mercedes-Benz C300:

2008 Mercedes-Benz C300 Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Oct 252014

I drove to the store and when I got in my car to leave the ignition would not start when I put the key in and tried to turn it on. The steering wheel was locked and I could not change the gears of the car to neutral or any other gear. I had my car towed to the nearest Mercedes Benz dealership and they performed a full inspection and found that the steering is locked.

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Oct 152014

Electronic steering lock malfunctioned. I'm now out $1100 because of a problem so common, a guy who hadn't even seen my car was able to guess the make, model, and year of my car just by telling him the issue. How has a recall not been made on this problem? car worked fine just two hours before it wouldn't start... unbelievable.

- Union City, CA, USA

Oct 112014

C300 6-cyl

This vehicle has had a trend among many people with their steering randomly defaulting. To get it fixed they quoted me 1300 dollars. Many people seem to have this problem right after their warranty expires. The person who contacted me said "there was a faulty steering problem". please correct me if I am wrong, but to me faulty means working badly or unreliably because of imperfections. I feel that this is a ridiculous thing to pay for especially knowing that this car is only 6 years old and I bought the car 6 months ago.I have never experienced something so vile and crooked from a company like this in my life. The car seemed to be working perfectly fine minutes before it decided to give out, 3 minutes to be exact. If I were to have been driving and the steering wheel where to have locked up on me on an interstate like that it could have been fatal. Someone needs to do something about this because it is getting out of control for a company to be able to scam customers like this.

- Del Rio, TX, USA

Sep 092014

C300 6-cyl

I parked & locked my car walked away from it for 10 mins, when I cam back I was able to unlock the car the side mirror folded out. When I placed the key in the ignition the key turned but the engine did not start nor could I take the gear out of park. The dash had a message stating remove key from ignition. Thinking that the battery was dead I had the battery replace. I took it to a mechanic and was told that the problem was with the ignition switch & steering lock assembly.

- Hayward, CA, USA

Sep 012014

Mercedes electronic steering lock (esl) failed. Car would not start due to the key not being recognized. I was able to close and open the doors, lights came on, but would not start. Battery was tested was is fine. Starter was fine. All fuses were fine. Towed to Mercedes and the esl is being changed at the cost of $1200. The automobile is still at the dealership one week later. Heard a lot of similar complaints online about this particular failure with the same models. I have spoken to Mercedes Benz of America in montvale NJ, but they insist since the auto is past the warranty period they cannot help me financially with the repairs, there should be a recall as Mercedes is aware of this and is not owning up to their mistake. There are many similar experiences and complaints from other owners with the C300 2008, 2009, and 2010 models. I knew what the mechanical/electrical issue was from reading the varied stories online and experiences from other owners, before it was diagnosed and looked at from the Mercedes dealership.

- Stamford , CT, USA

Sep 072014

C300 6-cyl

Mercedes electronic steering lock (esl) failed. Car would not start due to the key not being recognized. Everything else in the car works electronically, radio, windows, lights, etc. Battery was tested was is fine. Starter was fine. All fuses were fine. Towed to Mercedes and had esl changed for more than a thousand dollars. Heard a lot of similar complaints online about this particular failure with same models. This should be a recall as Mercedes is aware of this and is not owning up to their mistake.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Aug 312014

The contact owns a 2008 Mercedes Benz C300. The contact stated the vehicle failed to start and no warning sensors illuminated. The vehicle was towed to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the electronic steering lock failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 101,000.

- Stamford, CT, USA

Sep 022014

The contact owns a 2008 Mercedes C300. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technician stated that the steering wheel lock needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not available.the approximate failure mileage was 51,918.

- Inglewood, CA, USA

Aug 292014

Parked by car as usual, came out an hour later and my car wouldn't start. The key fob locks and unlocks the door and the lights still come on but when I put the key in the ignition and turn the key the car won't start. The road side service technician stated the key fob is not being recognized and that is the reason the car won't start.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Aug 222014

C300 6-cyl

Eis steering failure, car unable to start! this happened less that a month after bringing my car in for expensive dealership service and everything checked out! buyer beware!

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 082014

C300 6-cyl

Car would not start morning of 8/8. aaa was called. Tow truck driver determined it was not the battery and towed the car to mb service. Mercedes diagnosed the following issues with my 2008 C300 with 55K miles: Replace electrical ignition switch, $561 for the part. Replace electronic steering lock, $384 for the part. Reprogram both keys, $595. Labor for all of the above, tbd, as my car is still with Mercedes as I file this complaint with NHTSA on 8/15. These are obviously major and ongoing issues experienced by many C300 owners, and Mercedes is very well aware of the problem. They have simply found a great way to extort money from their customers, rather than doing the right thing and recalling these faulty parts before someone really gets hurt.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Jun 052013

Many people have complained about the same issue in many forums. I wonder if someone has to be injured or killed (if not already) before something is done. The car arbitrarily and without notice dies and will not restart. It leaves the driver completely vulnerable, wherever it occurs. This is what happened in my situation. Nothing worked, I had to call, to be told that this is a battery issue. It was not, as determined by the tow truck company and the dealership, after the car was towed to them. Is this ever going to be investigated and recalled before further damage and/or injury occurs ?

- Plantation, FL, USA

Aug 082014

C300 6-cyl

Car would not start or shift gears. Battery was found to be fully charged. Gears and steering completely locked out. No dash board lighting. Mercedes Benz dispatched but could not jump start. Towing only after forcing cover off gear shifter and overriding gears to put vehicle in neutral. 69K miles.

- Glen Allen, VA, USA

Aug 012014

Car would not start. Drove vehicle to work and worked perfectly but later that morning when I tried to turn on the vehicle nothing would happen when I attempted to turn it on. The lights and locks worked. Road side assistance attempted to jump vehicle but was told battery was not the issue. Had vehicle towed to dealership. Was told steering lock needs to be replaced. Seems this is a typical problem for this model year.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jul 302014

C300 6-cyl

Parked car at a gas station for 5 mins. Returned and car would not start. Dash states remove key from ignition. Dealer states eis failure. Very common in these cars. This should be recalled!! Mercedes Benz should be accountable for this failure. Very dangerous and could happen anywhere at anytime.

- Dix Hills, NY, USA

Jul 142014

C300 6-cyl

I went to start my car after just using it and it did not start. The lights worked, radio worked, everything but the car would not start. The car wouldn't even turn over as if it was attempting to turn on. I removed the battery and got it checked. Auto zone stated the battery was at 79% but this should not keep the car from running. I got my car towed to the Mercedes Benz dealership in georgetown tx. I was advised after the diagnostic was ran that the problem was the "steering lock assembly" needed to be replaced. With parts and labor I was quoted about $1,067.

- Temple, TX, USA

Jul 072014

Car will not start. Windows, sunroof, steering inoperable. No power to car with exception of radio and lock/unlock. Need to override to get car out of park. Occurred first time on 7/7 and I was stranded in a parking lot. Second time occurred on 7/12, car was parked on side of road and would not start. Needed to be towed on flatbed to dealer. Dealer confirmed electronic steering lock defective and $1,000 for replacement and part. Very common in Mercedes C300 models. Please research to see if there should be a recall. I performed a google search on the issue and there are multiple owners and forums complaining of the same issue from a number of countries including usa. Thank you.

- Taunton, MA, USA

Jul 032014

The contact owns a 2008 Mercedes Benz C300. The contact stated while attempting to start the engine, the electronic steering lock engaged and caused the engine to fail. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnose that the electronic steering lock was faulty and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 113,000.

- Harbor City , CA, USA

Jun 162014

C300 6-cyl

I was driving to work and I felt the steering wheel was having weird problem when I was trying to turn, after I turned the steering wheel while I was driving and it didn't turn back to its own position, so I had to turn it by myself. At first, I thought it was the power steering pump or the rack had problem, but then I bought to the shop and the mechanic told me the pump and the rack worked fine and they did run computerize on my car and couldn't see any problem, but when he drove he did felt something is weir from the steering wheel stiffness and still now we all don't know what the problem. The mechanic told me my car is still very new, it has been 6 years, it has only 39,654 and it shouldn't have any problem yet at this time.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

May 132014

Good morning, I am emailing you regarding an incident that occurred on May 13, 2014 on the lie 495. My vehicle, a 208 Mercedes C300 stalled in the emergency lane and the wheel locked soon afterward. I was unable to move my car, causing a very dangerous situation for me. I want to make sure that this situation goes noticed. This issue consists in these vehicles and I urge for it to get recalled. The issue is the "steering lock column". this causes the wheel to lock and become immovable. I am aware that an incident such as mine happened to a friend who has the same vehicle. It is not safe and needs to be fixed before it risks somebody else's life. Thank you for your time.

- Plainview, NY, USA