2008 Mercedes-Benz C300 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Mercedes-Benz C300:

2008 Mercedes-Benz C300 Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Jan 152015

C300

The contact owns a 2008 Mercedes C class. The contact stated that while stopped, the steering wheel seized without warning. The vehicle was towed to a dealer, where it was diagnosed that the steering system seized and needed to be repaired. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 70,000.

- Autaugaville, AL, USA

Jan 292015

C300 6-cyl

I drove to work on the 29th, and to and back an appointment, I went to leave work that evening and my car would not start. The was no indication that there was a problem. And we were in the middle of an ice storm, I called Mercedes road side assistance and I guess my assistance expired so they told me it would be $175 to tow my car, so I used my verizon roadside assistance to pick up and take to a friends shop to fix but because of the storm I was not able to get my car picked up for 25 hours and since it was Friday night by that time my car didn't get looked at by my friends repair shop until Monday 4 days later I find out that the vehicle cant be fixed by anyone else but Mercedes, because everything in the car is seized up and no one knew how to get it unseized. So Monday at noon I called Mercedes roadsideagain to get the car towed again. Because of the wonderful customer service from the roadside assistance team at Mercedes they ended up sending 3 tow trucks over to pick my car up, the first one showed up after my first shop closed, the second tow truck was unable to pick up the car because they didn't know it wouldn't go into gear so finally another 24 hours had past before they got my car which is 1/4 of a mile away from the repair shop where it was. My car has been broke for almost a whole week know and still know one knows what is wrong with the car in the mean time the dealership has no loaner car for me to use and I spent 3 hours sitiing in a disabled car in an ice storm waiting for someone to come and get me. It really sounds like the same problem everyone else on this site has experienced who knows how long it will take them to kfigure it out at this pace, I will update this if I ever find out.

- Akron, OH, USA

Jan 162015

C300

I drove car to work in the a.M. when I got ready to leave for the day the car would not start. The lights and locks and radio worked, but the engine wouldn't turn over. It was towed to the dealership and has been there for a few days. Just got a call that they think it is both the eis and esl, but they need my second key to be sure. After reading multiple forums with this problem, and calling another dealership, it seems the real issue my only be the esl. I say only because it cuts my cost in half, but it really sucks that this is obviously a very common problem and Mercedes has yet to do anything about it.

- Richmond, TX, USA

Dec 312014

C300 6-cyl

My car would not start, but the key turned over. I had it towed and was told it was the electronic steering lock, and Mercedes Benz dealership was the only one that can repair it. I was told that a technical service bulletin was issued for this part. I had the car towed to the dealership. I did research and saw that hundreds of cars of the same model had a problem with this part. I informed the dealer that I was amazed that there is not a recall because it is evident that there is a defect with this product and Mercedes needs to address it, and I don't feel I should be responsible for the repair. My service advisor admitted that there was a problem with this part but no recall has been issued. The general manager forwarded my concerns to Mercedes. They called me back and said there was nothing they could do. It is between the dealer and me, so as of now, I am probably gonna end up paying nearly a $1000 for a part that is clearly defective. There needs to be a recall on this. It is unacceptable that there is not one!

- Nashville, TN, USA

Dec 172014

C300

The contact owns a 2008 Mercedes Benz C300. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was towed to a dealer who diagnosed that the steering lock needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000.

- Hesperia, CA, USA

Nov 242014

C300

Car won't start. Key will turn but nothing happens. Tried jump starting the car but did not work. Brought to the dealership and was told that the steering lock is the problem and needs to be replaced.

- Milpitas, CA, USA

Nov 232014

C300

My car was parked in my garage when I turned the key in the ignition and tried to start the car. There was nothing. I tried several times, turning the key back and forth, taking it out, turning it. Still nothing. I called aaa. They tested the battery. It was functioning. The aaa technician noted that the door locks and audio locking signals were working. I called, bill, my service tech at the mbz dealership and left a message for him to phone me. In the meantime, I called a local mechanic that had repaired other family vehicles. He said he would take a look at it. So I had it towed to his shop. Bill called me back late afternoon and asked me to try the spare key to see if it would start. I had my neighbor drive me to the shop where my car was and tried the spare key. Still nothing. I spoke with the family mechanic. He was not able to start the vehicle, nor had he serviced it. He believed that it was a problem with the eis and said the dealer needed to do the repair. I called bill back. Let him know the spare did not work and arranged to have my car towed to the dealership the next day. Later the next day, bill called me and stated that the issue was with the electronic ignition system. I needed to replace the steering lock. He could order the part. The cost would be $1,100. I asked what would cause the part to fail. He said that electronic systems, like his tv, just fail over time. I authorized the repair. I have always taken my car into this dealership for its regularly scheduled maintenance and was surprised that it would need such a critical and costly repair. I checked online and noted that this is a common problem with the 2008 mbz C300. I am surprised that the manufacturer has not notified vehicles owners and taken responsibility for this apparent defect.

- Gold Canyon, AZ, USA

Nov 142014

C300 4WD 6-cyl

C300 2008 with 217,000 miles. Went to start car and it would not turn over. Power everywhere but the engine. Towed to dealership for diagnosis. Steering locked and had to be replaced. Same complaint as hundreds of others on this site and many more read online at various sites. Should be a recall from Mercedes. Over $1,500 in repair costs. Also problems with front lights same as rear lights that are on recall. Mercedes would not repair the front lights and wanted to charge over $700 to fix one light. With 217K miles and barely any other repairs I suppose I should be happy but this seems to be a recurring complaint from so many it is obviously an issue.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Nov 192014

C300

Car year: 2008 model: C300 4matic sport mileage at time of failure: 30,893 warranty: Expire on due to age of car, not mileage estimate cause: Manufacturing defect part effected: Eis (electronic ignition switch), esl (electronic steering lock), ECU estimated effected vins based on extensive online research and customer complaints: Thousands estimate cost of individual repairs per incident due to defect: $1,200. To $1,990. Estimate profit for dealerships: $100mm+ research keywords: Mercedes Benz, eis, esl, C300 source of 99% of complaints: www.mbworld.com & independently owned and operated mb dealership. "service campaign bulletin" campaign no. 2008020003, March 2008 recall: Not issued this is regards to a consistent and repeated know manufacturer defect in several years Mercedes Benz models, that the company, Mercedes Benz (mb) is aware of and has issued a "service campaign bulletin" campaign no. 2008020003, March 2008. Unfortunately mb claims that this issue only affects "approximately 10 vehicles". a 08 Mercedes C300 that I bought on 6/12/2013 with 9,025 miles when I bought it and now has about 30,896 miles today 11/20/2014. On 11/19/2014 my car stopped working. \ after researching online I noticed hundreds upon thousands of people are having the same issue with the 08 C300 knowing as the eis, esl, or the ignition failure and repairs up to $2000 in some cases. I will need to have my car towed to a mb dealership to have this fix. Thank you for your assistance, your time and consideration.

- Southampton, NY, USA

Oct 272014

C300

The contact owns a 2008 Mercedes Benz C300. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start and the steering seized. The contact stated that the failure recurred multiples. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated that the steering wheel lock needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,005.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Nov 042014

C300 6-cyl

Parked in the garage at night in the morning it would not start, steering locked, transmission locked and the worse the tires were half turned, after 3 hours we were able to get it out and tow it to mbz dealer, after 2 days diagnosed as ignition failure and steering locked, it took 5 days to get repaired at a $1000, from day one this car only serviced by mbz dealer and I see so many same complaints by owners and cannot believe mbz wont do anything about this issue, now I'm kind of scarred if it happened again while I'm driving.

- Sherman Oaks, CA, USA

Oct 252014

C300

I drove to the store and when I got in my car to leave the ignition would not start when I put the key in and tried to turn it on. The steering wheel was locked and I could not change the gears of the car to neutral or any other gear. I had my car towed to the nearest Mercedes Benz dealership and they performed a full inspection and found that the steering is locked.

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Oct 152014

C300

Electronic steering lock malfunctioned. I'm now out $1100 because of a problem so common, a guy who hadn't even seen my car was able to guess the make, model, and year of my car just by telling him the issue. How has a recall not been made on this problem? car worked fine just two hours before it wouldn't start... unbelievable.

- Union City, CA, USA

Oct 112014

C300 6-cyl

This vehicle has had a trend among many people with their steering randomly defaulting. To get it fixed they quoted me 1300 dollars. Many people seem to have this problem right after their warranty expires. The person who contacted me said "there was a faulty steering problem". please correct me if I am wrong, but to me faulty means working badly or unreliably because of imperfections. I feel that this is a ridiculous thing to pay for especially knowing that this car is only 6 years old and I bought the car 6 months ago.I have never experienced something so vile and crooked from a company like this in my life. The car seemed to be working perfectly fine minutes before it decided to give out, 3 minutes to be exact. If I were to have been driving and the steering wheel where to have locked up on me on an interstate like that it could have been fatal. Someone needs to do something about this because it is getting out of control for a company to be able to scam customers like this.

- Del Rio, TX, USA

Sep 092014

C300 6-cyl

I parked & locked my car walked away from it for 10 mins, when I cam back I was able to unlock the car the side mirror folded out. When I placed the key in the ignition the key turned but the engine did not start nor could I take the gear out of park. The dash had a message stating remove key from ignition. Thinking that the battery was dead I had the battery replace. I took it to a mechanic and was told that the problem was with the ignition switch & steering lock assembly.

- Hayward, CA, USA

Sep 012014

C300

Mercedes electronic steering lock (esl) failed. Car would not start due to the key not being recognized. I was able to close and open the doors, lights came on, but would not start. Battery was tested was is fine. Starter was fine. All fuses were fine. Towed to Mercedes and the esl is being changed at the cost of $1200. The automobile is still at the dealership one week later. Heard a lot of similar complaints online about this particular failure with the same models. I have spoken to Mercedes Benz of America in montvale NJ, but they insist since the auto is past the warranty period they cannot help me financially with the repairs, there should be a recall as Mercedes is aware of this and is not owning up to their mistake. There are many similar experiences and complaints from other owners with the C300 2008, 2009, and 2010 models. I knew what the mechanical/electrical issue was from reading the varied stories online and experiences from other owners, before it was diagnosed and looked at from the Mercedes dealership.

- Stamford , CT, USA

Sep 072014

C300 6-cyl

Mercedes electronic steering lock (esl) failed. Car would not start due to the key not being recognized. Everything else in the car works electronically, radio, windows, lights, etc. Battery was tested was is fine. Starter was fine. All fuses were fine. Towed to Mercedes and had esl changed for more than a thousand dollars. Heard a lot of similar complaints online about this particular failure with same models. This should be a recall as Mercedes is aware of this and is not owning up to their mistake.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Aug 312014

C300

The contact owns a 2008 Mercedes Benz C300. The contact stated the vehicle failed to start and no warning sensors illuminated. The vehicle was towed to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the electronic steering lock failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 101,000.

- Stamford, CT, USA

Sep 022014

C300

The contact owns a 2008 Mercedes C300. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technician stated that the steering wheel lock needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not available.the approximate failure mileage was 51,918.

- Inglewood, CA, USA

Aug 292014

C300

Parked by car as usual, came out an hour later and my car wouldn't start. The key fob locks and unlocks the door and the lights still come on but when I put the key in the ignition and turn the key the car won't start. The road side service technician stated the key fob is not being recognized and that is the reason the car won't start.

- Dallas, TX, USA