2004 Mercedes-Benz CL500 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Mercedes-Benz CL500:

2004 Mercedes-Benz CL500 Owner Comments

Jun 212012

CL500 4-cyl

I have black Mercedes C230 kompressor sports sedan 2004 model. Car was purchased brand new at Mercedes authorized dealer. There is no modification made to this car and all the servicing done at Mercedes authorized dealer since I bought this car. It had only 58000 miles. Last B servicing which checked any safety related issues and includes regular maintenance, was done at authorized dealer on 02/18/2012. No issue was informed on 02/18/2012 to us by Mercedes authorized dealer servicing department. On 06/21/2012, when I was driving this car from work to home, I turned on A/C, A/C shutdown and I started smelling smoke. On left side of my car there is A/C vent and I saw fire inside the hood through that vent.I pulled over car right away and electricity went out with in 1 min of my pulling over and within 4 min, whole car was burning. My car is now totaled. This poses following security concerns: 1. Mercedes C230 2004 is made of highly inflammable material and driver and users of car has very less chance to survive if there is fire. 2. Mercedes C230 2004 model A/C unit is not of highest quality and electrical system is faulty. Both of above issues poses very serious security risks to public and it needs through investigation. I contacted Mercedes head quarter for investigation and Mercedes declined to investigate. Geico stated in report that hood is stuck and cause of fire is unknown. Geico insurance company authorized Mercedes engineers to investigate further upon my request and Mercedes usa does not want to investigate further. I have pictures of burnt car and can share if it helps in investigation to rule out above 2 concerns. We do not want others to go through same ordeal as we went through. Updated 06/13/13 updated 06/17/2013

- North Potomac, MD, USA

Nov 012011

2004 Mercedes Benz C- class wagon. Consumer writes in regards to defect that allows coolant to leak into the transmission, requiring replacement of the transmission, torque converter and radiator the consumer stated he was forced to spend over six thousand dollars to have the transmission replaced, to correct a defect Mercedes Benz was aware of.

- Pittsboro, NC, USA