6.1

2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250:

2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 022016

CLA250

Vehicle became inoperative while driving on a highway. Happened twice today on speeds of 60+ mph in heavy traffic. Vehicle decelerated quickly and lost speed, I was lucky to avoid collisions. The console popped up flashing message 'pre-safe functions limited' on the console. The vehicle did not respond to accelerator. After switching the ignition off and on again, the problem temporary disappeared, but then happened again. The vehicle is duly serviced and is still on warranty, there was no accidents or mechanical faults prior to date. Scary and very dangerous. Could have easily injured myself or someone else who would have hit the vehicle which suddenly becomes inoperative.

- Whitehouse Station, NJ, USA

Jun 122016

CLA250

I have had the same issue as many others. I was driving my car down the highway in the left lane at 65 mph. All of a sudden the speedometer dropped to 0 and I could not accelerate. I had to pull over to the side of the road and turn off the car. This first happened to me twice in December 2013. I took it into the dealership and they did several things to try and fix it. They told me they updated the software. I was scared to continue driving the car, but they assured me it wouldn't happen again. But, the same issue just happened to me again (June 2016). Why hasn't Mercedes done anything to fix this? I don't wan to drive a car that loses speed while I'm on a busy highway, it's not safe.

- Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Apr 042016

CLA250

The contact owns a 2014 Mercedes-Benz Cla250. While driving at various speeds, the inoperable pre-safe warning light illuminated and the vehicle began to stall. The failure was persistent. While the accelerator pedal was depressed, the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle was able to restart. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the pins failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was approximately 24,000. The VIN was not available.

- Wantagh, NY, USA

Mar 192016

CLA250

Multiple episodes of "pre-safe functions limited" occurring. When this message appears the car suddenly loses acceleration and you are not able to go above 30 mph despite pressing on the gas pedal. This has occurred on normal 35-45 mph streets but has happened multiple times on the highway when the car is going 65 mph. Luckily, no motor vehicle accidents have occurred because of this issue. The car is able to accelerate and function normally after turning the engine off and on again. Have gone to Mercedes dealer multiple times to fix issue. The first time it occurred, Mercedes updated system software. Next they replaced vehicle sensors. Most recently they claimed the issue was due to oil pump failure. They replaced an oil control valve and oil pan. Four days after the repair I received the same "pre-safe functions limited message, my car stalled while I was going 40 mph. I have returned the car to the dealer once again to run diagnostics. This has occurred many times in the two and a half years that I've owned the vehicle. It is currently at 49,200 miles and has been properly serviced. Each time I bring the car in for this error message Mercedes replaces a new part but it does not solve the problem.

- Romeoville, IL, USA

Dec 062015

CLA250

While driving at highway speed the accelerator pedal suddenly failed. The engine would not respond to any input of the gas pedal. I pumped the pedal, floored the pedal all with no response. The engine would not rev past idle and the car lost speed making changing lanes difficult and dangerous. The error messages shown in the photos appeared in the dashboard. This has happened twice (11/30/15 and 12/6/15).

- Charlestown, MA, USA

Nov 112014

CLA250

What is the problem-pre safe malfunction error when does it happen-while driving is it predictable-no is it safe-no why-the car suddenly loses acceleration, when the pre-safe error comes on. Scenario-driving a cla 250 at 60 mph on a motorway on a quiet road in front of a truck.... pre-safe malfunction kicks in the car slows down and loses accln. The truck driver cannot predict this behavior a this is not a normal pattern to slow down suddenly from 60mph on a quiet freeway. Very very dangerous.

- Clifton Park, NY, USA

Apr 282015

CLA250

While driving my cla that I have only had 4 months the car turned off and said it's inoperable! I was almost hit multiple times, when dropped it of at dealer they wouldn't even give me a loan. I bought this car brand new!

- West Chester, PA, USA

Mar 112015

CLA250

Car had no acceleration while driving in traffic on a major parkway. Vehicle inoperable pre safety features disabled flashed on the message center. Engine light also came on. Vehicle taken to be serviced and the accelerator module replaced. My car seemed okay until it happened 4 more times again while driving on a parkway. This occurred approximately 5 weeks after the car was "fixed". same exact problem and message. Is mb waiting for someone to get killed? so many people having the same problem. I don't need to get in an accident. I thought I was buying a safe dependable vehicle with exceptional service. I should have kept my sonata. I'm really afraid to drive this car again once I get it back.

- Freeport, NY, USA

Apr 232015

CLA250

Recently, every time I MA driving in the rain, no matter how light the rain is, the traction control light comes on and a message stating"pre safe, functions limited, inoperative" shows up. The vehicle has looses acceleration. This happened to me on the freeway today. This is potentially dangerous as it could cause a serious accident. This seems to be a recurrent problem based on a simple online search.

- Edmonds, WA, USA

Apr 212015

CLA250

I was driving and all of a sudden the pre safe mode popped up saying "inoperative" and "see owners manual". the check engine light came on as well as some sort of traction control light. I was nearly in a accident because the car wouldn't accelerate. When getting stopped at a red light the car would not accelerate after pushing the pedal. Then it would accelerate real fast. Luckily I was only 20 minutes from my local Mercedes dealer so I called them and told them I was bringing the car directly to them. This is very scary and from seeing other complaints there must be something that needs to be addressed.

- Smyrna, DE, USA

Apr 062015

CLA250

Accelerating from an intersection after the light turned green, the engine began chugging and thumping. The check engine light came on immediately and the eco light started flashing. The engine stalled several times. We drove straight to the dealership with the car. At every intersection with a red light, it seemed as though the car would stall again. We did make it to the dealership. They kept it for three days, and determined that it was a defective manifold pressure sensor. This is the second time the manifold pressure sensor has had to be replaced. In the first episode on October 9th, 2014, the car died completely and the message "inoperable" appeared in the message screen. The car had to be towed in that time. Both instances required replacement of the same sensor and an update to the software.

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Mar 242015

CLA250

Car inability to, accelerate pre safe lights come on and check engine light come on.

- Brentwood , NY, USA

Mar 132015

CLA250

The car showed "pre-safe unavailable" and showed that the stability control off light on the dash. It went into "limp" mode just before a dangerous Y shaped intersection where I was turning to the left leg of the Y and the oncoming traffic was from the right side of the Y. the car was almost totally unresponsive to throttle inputs, and as I had to slow down to see down the hill to the right side of the Y, acceleration across the intersection was less than normal walking speed. Luckily, there was no traffic coming to the right or behind me. Dealer was unable to find the cause. I traded the car in for the next year model due to feeling unsafe driving it.

- Utica, NY, USA

Mar 152015

CLA250

I lease a 2014 Mercedes Benz Cla250. While driving at 70 mph, the engine stalled as the message board displayed inoperative pre safe functions limited see owners manual. Additionally, the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle was diagnosed and repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 1600.

- Parker, CO, USA

Mar 072015

CLA250

I was driving on a busy surface street in los angeles when my car lost all acceleration and the message popped up, "inoperable, see manual". I tried to push the gas pedal to quickly move over to the right lane where I could put on my hazard lights but I could not accelerate. I turned off the car quickly and started it again and it went back to working for now. I am terrified for this to happen again, especially because if it happened on a los angeles freeway, I could easily be killed. I am 8 months pregnant and fear for my safety and the safety of my child.

- Torrance, CA, USA

Jan 062015

CLA250

The pre safe mode has happened 5 times on my cla 250 since I bought the car last January. I think the pre safe mode is not safe at all. All of a sudden, the car just lost power, no any feedback when I stepped the gas pedal, the best thing is the brake still worked. After restarting the car, the car went well but the engine light was on. However, after two days, the engine light was off so I didn't even have a chance to show to the dealer. It's very dangerous to drive this car on high way, especially in traffic jam.

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 262014

CLA250

Vehicle lost acceleration twice within a quarter mile distance on freeway after approximately 10 minutes of driving time. This is a second occurrence of same problem. Vehicle displayed pre-safe inoperative error message. After pulling over and restarting the engine, the issue was resolved for a short distance. The vehicle was towed to the dealership where the entire accelerator pedal assembly was replaced. My family is very skeptical of this cars reliability and is seeking options with attorney under state lemon laws.

- Girard, OH, USA

Dec 132014

CLA250

The contact owns a 2014 Mercedes Benz Cla250. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 40 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the sensor software failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 20,000.

- Middleburg, FL, USA

Oct 172014

CLA250

On October 17, 2014, vehicle 'pre safe functions limited, inoperative' light came on the vehicle while driving on interstate at approximately 50-60 mph. Vehicle would not accelerate so coasted to side of interstate and came to a stop. Tried to accelerate from a stop, car would only move at a few mph and the transmission felt like it was stuck in the highest gear. Turned car off and back on. Problem seemed to reset and was able to drive home. Did not take to dealership for this incident due to reading about others' experience and that dealerships are unable to replicate.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Sep 102014

CLA250 4-cyl

On September 10, 2014 and September 21, 2014, vehicle 'pre safe functions limited, inoperative' light comes on the vehicle and the vehicle loses power. Both times driving approximately 50-60 mph. First time driving on street and was able to coast home. Second time I was on major highway....very dangerous! unable to accelerate both times. Took vehicle into local dealership on September 11th, they were unable to replicate issue and returned car. Did not drive vehicle for 1 week due to travel, returned and within 2 days of driving the car, error message returned and I was unable to accelerate car. To get the car to function, must turn the vehicle off and back on and then it drive-able. Vehicle is currently back at the dealership for repair. This issue actually occurred several weeks prior but I did not report to the dealership because the light came on and quickly went back off. Also experienced slow acceleration issues when moving from a complete stop.

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA