2.2

2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS500 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS500:

2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS500 Owner Comments

Jan 192016

CLS500

Strong smell of gasoline in interior of car along with smell in garage after overnight parking. Checked engine for leaks as well as general tank area. Negative. I think that the fuel sending unit (under rear seat may be loose or defective. Can't over emphasize the strong gas smell, while stationary--seems to dissipate on movement.

- Naples, FL, USA

Dec 102014

CLS500 8-cyl

Fuel pump leaks and vapor smell is very prevalent. Fuel tank assembly has been ordered, but apparently Mercedes is very slow on shipping the parts because there are so many cars with this same problem. Besides the smell, I think this could be dangerous. I have always been told that where there are fumes an explosion is possible.I have been told that parts have to come from germany since no one in the states has them. Mercedes should be ashamed and held to a higher standard.

- Potomac, MD, USA

Aug 082014

CLS500

When fuel tank is filled completely there is an extremely strong odor of gasoline inside and outside car. Fuel pump has been replaced and the fuel tank seals have been replaced multiple times with no improvement. Gas cap warning light now comes on intermittently and check engine light remains on. Have been advised to replace fuel tank now.

- Santa Rosa , CA, USA

Aug 222014

CLS500

The contact owns a 2006 Mercedes Benz Cls500. While driving approximately 45 mph, the contact noticed a strong fuel odor inside the vehicle. The dealer diagnosed that the fuel pump needed to be replaced. The manufacturer had not been notified. The approximate failure mileage was 109,000.

- Gonzales , LA, USA

Mar 032014

CLS500 6-cyl

We smelled the odor of gasoline in our garage, so took our vehicle to Mercedes of henderson. We were informed that the fuel tank was cracked around the top mounting bolt and needed to be replaced. Upon further investigation, we noted that this is an ongoing problem with the Mercedes E and Clk class vehicles. The fact that the car has never been in an accident, this is obviously a defect in the manufacturing process. When researching on the internet, we observed numerous Mercedes owners with the same problem. Does our home have to burn to the ground before something is done to have Mercedes correct this problem.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Dec 042013

CLS500

The contact owns a 2006 Mercedes Benz Cls500. The contact stated that fuel was continuously leaking from under the front driver's side seat. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis, who stated that the fuel sending unit needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 72,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Apr 242013

CLS500 8-cyl

When I filled the fuel tank, the inside of the car smells very strongly of gas fumes. The whole garage smelled strongly of gas fumes and gas was dripping on the floor of the garage. If the hot water heater decided to ignite, it could have caused a fire or explosion. I believe this is a similar issue to NHTSA investigation ea 13-003. The Cls class and the E class share the same chassis and fuel tank. If possible, please expand your investigation to include Cls class vehicles.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Jan 012013

CLS500 8-cyl

Just like the other Mercedes vehicles, the fuel pumps are under the back seat. My daughter rides in the back. One morning I wake up and my car smelled as if someone poured gasoline all throughout the automobile. I let the windows down and took my car to american auto tech where I spent over $700. It took over 2months to get the smell out of the car and I had to replace the cover and lining that separates the back seat cushion portion from the entrance of the fuel pumps that sit under both back seats of this car. This is not only an issue with the E class but most Mercedes made through out that year. I have a receipt in which I have paid and feel that Mercedes need to compensate me and others for this defective part or fuel leakage. It even leaks from under the car. This is very dangerous to my family and others around.

- Mesquite, TX, USA

Feb 082013

CLS500 8-cyl

Through some checking, gasoline seems to be running out of the top of the gas tank when it is full. It is not coming from the fuel pump module seal. This is both dangerous and a pollution and health risk. I just bought the car, so I don't know how long the problem has existed. He told me that is the problem with the fuel sending unit is leaking underneath of the seats. He also told me that he just fixed two cars with the same problem. There is also a recall campaign number (2008-020001) out here stating the same issue, but mb at arlington told me that it will cost me to get it fix between $400 to $730 and my car is not cover under this recall. He pulled up the VIN of my car and told me sorry that your car doesn't have any records for recall. So, I took my car back and asked him to provided me the cost estimate, I called the extended warranty and it is not cover under my basic plans. So, I drove the car home, smelling like the I have being showered by the smell of leaking fuel. I also, gave a call to mbusa and file my complain, and someone checked my VIN and told me that my car doesn't cover under the recall, but she will put the file together and will bring it up to the upper manager to review the case and told me that someone will give me a call back on Monday since they are closing on the weekend. The warranty doesn't cover the sending units. By now I have all my research handy (and have already priced out the replacement of both units - $2,000) and said "well there's been a recall for this exact issue on this exact car, it's a major safety concern that's why I want to share my problem with other people on the matter." I provided the recall campaign number (2008-020001) and advise her please let them know of the pledged to look into it. Wish me luck :(.

- Herndon, VA, USA

Sep 032012

CLS500 8-cyl

I filled my gas tank and drove home, parked in the garage overnight. The next morning I entered the garage and was overwhelmed by the smell of raw gas. The garage was closed and it contains a hot water heater which could have easily lit the gas fumes and started a fire or explosion. My 2 kids' bedrooms are above the garage. Through some checking, gasoline seems to be running out of the top of the gas tank when it is full. It is not coming from the fuel pump module seal. This is both dangerous and a pollution and health risk. I just bought the car, so I don't know how long the problem has existed.

- Chandler, AZ, USA