2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS55 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS55:

2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS55 Owner Comments

Jun 032016

Fuel leaks after filling up car very strong smell, after parking, while running smells until your tank is almost empty.

- Magnolia, AR, USA

Aug 212015

The vehicle was sended to inspection due to a "brake warning" started showing at the gauges control panel. Mercedes Benz dealer service manager indicates that they not have a correct tool to recode to actualize the brake system and /or fix the problem at that time. Three visits and several phone calls been made to the dealer. The service advisor is always with other customer. I'm stop to drive my vehicle, because I never knew how deep is the problem. Doing a visual inspection I observed that the rear brake pads are not applying good enough, the surfaces of the rotors are different. The Mercedes Benz dealer representative still not notify me. This is a safety issue. This vehicle is not making any noise or have any vibration during braking. But I notice that is braking more at front than the rear. *brake fluid is been changed by the dealer. Service advisor stated that this car have an "extended recall" for brake mal-function/on different areas, but nothing is been done to fix the codes: Hydraulic faults/C25D0/C2514/C249F/C22B5 & C223C. This may be the ABS control box fault. After been waiting from 07:30 - 13:00 (5.5 hrs) on my last visit. I received my car back just with few words front the advisor; " we need to order a part to re-coded your system, we contact you later (21 Aug 2015). Note: Recall # 05V133000 did you can assist me with this problem/ situation? thanks in advance. V/ respectfully, Mr. W.ortiz

- Bayaymon, PR, USA

Jan 022015

Recall campaign number 2008-020001. This is a known defect that Mercedes refuses to repair. Very dangerous fuel leak. Fuel puddling inside cabin under rear seat. Fire hazard and health hazard.

- Leander, TX, USA

Mar 012013

CLS55 8-cyl

Fuel sender unit was recalled in 2008, only months before we purchased the vehicle as the 2nd owner. This was purchased as a certified pre owned vehicle. We have obtained a vehicle master inquiry from Mercedes Benz and there is nothing that makes it very clear that the original recall was ever handled properly. In 2013, we experienced S strong odor of fuel when the car was filled with gasoline. The car seemed to lag at takeoff, out of turns, and idled roughly. When the vehicle was brought in for service, we were told nothing of the recall, and were charged $1,015 to replace the part (which was the exact part # of the faulty unit). Over the last few months, we noticed the smell again once in a while. The vehicle displayed the same signs as the previous time. At this point, the fuel smell is so strong, the vehicle is almost undriveable. When in the garage, you can smell the fuel through the wall into the closet (the closest room beyond the garage). We are in firm belief that we should be reimbursed by Mercedes Benz for charging us for repairs that should have been repaired under the recall notice, which our VIN is included under, and we should now receive the repairs free of charge due to the recurring nature, original recall, handling of the situation, and ongoing investigation. This is no coincidence, and mb is attempting to sweep the situation under the rug. They are failing to stand behind their claims of "german engineering, " excellent customer service, etc. Etc. This is not what you expect from a vehicle with a $94,000 base price.

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 252014

The contact owns a 2006 Mercedes Benz Cls55. The contact stated that fuel fumes were emitting from the rear of the vehicle and the check engine light illuminated. After inspecting the vehicle, the contact discovered a puddle of fuel under the back seat. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The failure mileage was 117,000.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Nov 132013

CLS55 8-cyl

Every time I fill up the car with gasoline, there is a very strong odor of fuel both inside and outside the cabin. This odor will last for a few days until the gas evaporate. I have check with the mb service dealer, they told me that a service campaign #2008020001 for the fuel filter module had been done on my car in May 2008 by mb. It looks that the same problem occurring again. I have purchase this car in November 2013 and always had this problem since.

- Champlain, NY, USA

Mar 012012

CLS55 8-cyl

I am among the hundreds of complaints I have read about with Mercedes fuel tanks leaking. I have a Cls55 and for the last 2+ years I have been arguing with Mercedes about a very strong fuel smell inside and out of the vehicle. While in warranty, my local dealer tried to repair the problem by replacing the sending unit twice. To no avail, the problem was never diagnosed and or repaired correctly. Now that I am currently out of warranty, they seem to know what the problem is. I need a new fuel tank. I won't mention what they quoted to repair it. I had an outside mechanic inspect the sending unit and tank and I could very clearly see the fuel pouring from the top of the tank and pooling at the sending unit. The fuel pump was also leaking. I have spent many hundreds of hours discussing this with dealers as well as mbusa, and the end result was that it will not be repaired. They offered to replace the tank for $1000 out of pocket cost to me. I am disgusted by the way I have been treated and their lack of responsibility for the safety of everyone on the road. If you ever see a silver Cls55 in the houston area, please do not smoke or light a match next to it.

- Spring, TX, USA

Mar 032014

CLS55 6-cyl

We smelled the odor of gasoline in our garage, so took our vehicle to Mercedes of henderson. We were informed that the fuel tank was cracked around the top mounting bolt and needed to be replaced. Upon further investigation, we noted that this is an ongoing problem with the Mercedes E and Clk class vehicles. The fact that the car has never been in an accident, this is obviously a defect in the manufacturing process. When researching on the internet, we observed numerous Mercedes owners with the same problem. Does our home have to burn to the ground before something is done to have Mercedes correct this problem.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Mar 202013

CLS55 8-cyl

Leaks gas from fuel sending unit. Like the rest of these cars do, or will.

- Milbridge, ME, USA

Apr 242013

CLS55 8-cyl

When I filled the fuel tank, the inside of the car smells very strongly of gas fumes. The whole garage smelled strongly of gas fumes and gas was dripping on the floor of the garage. If the hot water heater decided to ignite, it could have caused a fire or explosion. I believe this is a similar issue to NHTSA investigation ea 13-003. The Cls class and the E class share the same chassis and fuel tank. If possible, please expand your investigation to include Cls class vehicles.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Mar 152012

CLS55 8-cyl

I oqn a 2006 Mercedes Cls55 amg. Last year I started to smell fuel from outside the car and especially on the driver side. The the smell started to permiate the interior. This was especially evident when the tank was nearly full. I took it to the dealer and was told it was sending units and I paid $1200 (aprox) to have two new sending units installed. Now, one year later I am noticing the severe smell again. I removed the back seat and see fuel exposed on the top of the tank. This can not be good! I am sure you are aware that the cls is on the same chasis as the E-class. I have already read of the ongoing problem with this model. I want to make you aware of the same situation on my model.

- Hummelstown, PA, USA

Oct 152008

CLS55 8-cyl

Strong fuel odor inside cabin, and fuel leak on ground outside. Repaired twice under warranty. First repair failed; second repair temporarily successful. Since second repair, fuel odor faint but noticeable, sporadic, but with no fuel leak visible on ground outside. Usually occurs when car is started after sitting in the sun for some time in hot weather, after a recent refueling. Incidence about once monthly (car is usually not parked outside). The car is no longer under any warranty. Independent mechanic showed me the (original) plastic part over the fuel tank under the left rear seat which showed slight fuel seepage (the replaced-under-warranty plastic part under the right rear seat still looks new and unaffected). In my opinion, this matter is related to the 2003-2008 Mercedes-Benz E-class fuel odor incidents under current (recently upgraded) NHTSA investigation.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Sep 142010

CLS55 8-cyl

After filling gas tank there is strong smell of gas inside and outside car. Dealer replaced left fuel level sender and right side seal at a cost of $1535.86. Problem is recurring after each fill up.

- Brookeville, MD, USA

Sep 152012

CLS55 8-cyl

Reference PE12001 & EA13003 after filling up I smelled a strong gasoline odor in the car. Upon further inspection, the odor was coming from the rear of the car. It smelled like the drivers side rear seat cushion had been soaked in gasoline. The odor was so strong, driving the car with the windows up was impossible. I did some research online and found out that this was a common problem with the Mercedes amg cars. As instructed online, I removed the seat cushion opened an access panel and could see liquid gasoline pooling on top of the fuel level sender unit. I could also see where the unit had cracked, allowing gas to escape the tank. I contacted mbusa about this problem and they advised me to see the dealer. As expected, the dealer diagnosed it as a faulty fuel sender unit. They contacted Mercedes on my behalf to attempt to get assistance with this repair. Mercedes denied all assistance under the standard and emissions warranty leaving me with over $1000 in repairs. In 2009, my car was previously repaired under recall #2008-020001 which was supposed to fix this problem, but it clearly failed to fix the problem permanently. I had to get my car repaired by a third party repair shop and feel disgusted by the Mercedes inability to fix such a faulty and serious design flaw. They would rather make their customers pay $1000-2000 to avoid passing out from gasoline fumes or risk being killed in an explosion from a collision.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Sep 012012

CLS55 8-cyl

My vehicle is a 2006 mb Cls55. After filling up my vehicle with fuel, I noticed a leak in my garage and a strong odor coming from inside the car both while running and while shut off. I brought my vehicle to an independent mechanic and verified that both fuel pumps are leaking from the top. These leaks result in a pool of fuel directly under the rear seats. I received a $2,200 dollar verbal quote from a dealership to replace both fuel pumps. They advised that this was a common problem with all 55 series vehicles.

- West Palm Beach , FL, USA

Feb 012013

CLS55 8-cyl

The fuel sender has a leak at the top of the seal, when the gas tank is full fuel leaks out the top.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Aug 012011

CLS55 8-cyl

Whenever I fill the gas tank full with fuel, there is an over whelming smell of gas in the garage. There appears to be a leak when the tank is near full. Once I drive the car around for a while, the smell of gas goes away.

- Clarksville, MD, USA