2.4

2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS55 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS55:

2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS55 Owner Comments

Jun 132014

CLS55 8-cyl

After purchasing a used mb Cls55 amg I noticed I kept smelling fuel inside the cabin of my vehicle after filling up with fuel. Did not put any mind to it till after the third fill up. And I did a research online and noticed its a common problem I then called the 800# and asked if the recall campaign #2008-020001 was ever performed on my vehicle and they said it was done in 2008 by the previous owner. I told him that the problem seems to be happening again and the customer service rep told me they only perform the recall once and it is up to the owner to pay for the problem the second time. So I guess im stuck with a big bill for something that was never repaired properly from the first time. Thats what led me to this site hopefully somebody will read this and do something about a bandaid that was placed on the car (basically replaced part with the same part but newer that was defective from day1).

- Webster, MA, USA

May 012012

CLS55 8-cyl

Cracks at the top of the fuel sending unit cause fuel to leak out after filling tank. Fuel smell in cabin extreme, fuel then leaks out near left rear wheel and pools where parked. Certainly a safety issue!

- Kapolei, HI, USA

Apr 032014

CLS55 8-cyl

After fill up started smelling strong fumes of gas in vehicle. After about 2 days of sitting got in vehicle the smell was unbearable. Tried to ride some of the fuel off thinking it would take away smell, but to no avail. Decided to remove back seats to see if sending units were leaking in which I had heard about thru mb forums and wow there it was the rear passenger seat the side where the fuel goes in was soaked underneath and very damp on top of tank with fuel, on the driver's side it was the fuel smell not damp like the other side, but seat was strong of the odor of gas. What can be done about this is what I want to know. This could be very dangerous im afraid to drive car now.

- Auburn, AL, USA

Jan 172014

CLS55 8-cyl

Strong odor of fuel after filling tank. This quickly lead to fuel odor anytime car was started. I became aware of similar problems posted about my vehicle online. I removed the back passenger seat and inspected the fuel pump below panels and found that the driver side plastic pump hanger assembly is leaking at the plastic 90 degree fitting and filling the area with fuel and spilling over onto the top of the tank. The vehicle is unsafe to drive with the amount of fuel escaping.

- Etters, PA, USA

Mar 202013

CLS55 8-cyl

Leaks gas from fuel sending unit. Like the rest of these cars do, or will.

- Milbridge, ME, USA

Jul 012011

CLS55 8-cyl

Gasoline leak creating extreme odor inside and around car exterior. Dealership states fuel sending units and tank need to be replaced at my expense. My car was included in the related recall #2008-020001 and was subsequently serviced at dealership 1/19/09 to address the issue. Obviously the proposed remedy was ineffective. According to testimony of hundreds of other E/cls owners with identical, persistent issues- this is a definitive design issue and has created a serious safety and health issue that requires mb to sufficiently rectify once and for all.

- Dallas, TX, USA