1.6

2004 Mercedes-Benz E320 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Mercedes-Benz E320:

2004 Mercedes-Benz E320 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Jul 302014

E320

The contact owns a 2004 Mercedes Benz E320. The contact stated while driving 30 mph after refueling the fuel tank, she smelled a strong fuel odor. The odor was present on 35 occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic however, the failure was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 89,854.

- Apple Valley, MN, USA

Jun 272014

E320 6-cyl

Gasoline smell in garage and inside the cabin. Read online stating that recall on E class for 2004 on gas tank leaks or faulty fuel sending unit. However, mb denied there is any recall link to the VIN of my vehicle.

- Kingston, NY, USA

Jan 122012

E320

I am disappointed because we?ve known about this problem only for a short time since last year when we went to our dealership the complaint of smelling gas fumes after pumping gas. We smelled the fumes in the rear cabin area primarily. We had the dealership and a couple other certified Mercedes Benz shops look at the issue determining that the sending unit needs to be replaced. We were going to do the service later after one dealership told us to just keep the car half full with fuel until you are ready to complete the service repair for over $1,000 out of our own pockets.

- Severn, MD, USA

Feb 122014

E320

The contact owns a 2004 Mercedes Benz E320. The contact stated that fuel was pooling on the floor board of the rear seat. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the sending unit was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 55,000 and the current mileage was 56,000.

- Kihei , HI, USA

Nov 042013

E320

The contact owns a 2004 Mercedes-Benz E320. The contact stated that a gasoline odor was smelled around the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 120,000.

- Cambridge, MA, USA

Sep 252013

E320

The contact owns a 2004 Mercedes Benz E320. The contact stated that a strong gasoline fuel odor emitted in the rear seating area of the vehicle. The contact performed an inspection and found that the plastic casting of the fuel pump injector valve top was fractured and caused gasoline to leak and penetrate the cabin. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 69,000.

- Tujunga, CA, USA

Sep 232013

E320

The contact owns a 2004 Mercedes-Benz E320. The contact stated that a gasoline fuel smell was in the cabin of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was found that the fuel tank had failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Yorba Linda, CA, USA

Jul 022012

E320

I am filing this complaint regarding the fuel smell coming into the cabin. I have owned a 2005 C230 compressor and had the same issue and mb took care of this with no issues. No I have an E320 and they wont fix this issue. After filling up driving with the smell of fuel in the cabin has caused serious headaches for me and my family. Even parking in my garage has filled my whole house with the smell of fuel. I have a $5000 dollar parrot this is very sensitive to smells and this could be a serious affect to everyone's health and safety. If mb can fix this issue on one car why cant they fix it on all cars.

- Temecula , CA, USA

Jul 202013

E320

The contact owns a 2004 Mercedes-Benz E320. The contact stated that after refueling, fuel was smelled while in the cabin. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 107,000

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Jun 142012

E320

My E 320 has gas smell in my garage after refueling since June/2012. The smell is getting even stronger for last a few months.

- San Jose , CA, USA

Jun 242013

E320 6-cyl

Strong gas smell the problem fuel sending unit leaking vapor.

- Windermere, FL, USA

Jun 142013

E320 6-cyl

Very strong gasoline odor coming out of left rear wheel well after filling up the gas tank. The odor reduced as I drove for a few days. It seems like gasoline is leaking from the top of the fuel tank.

- Diamond Bar, CA, USA

Jun 062013

E320

Strong order of gas from left side near back seat area, always after fill up, thought just loose gas cap, removed rear seat and left fuel sending unit cover, found puddle of gas on and round gas tank. Was told from dealer parts dept, very common for seal to weep, replaced, but still same problem, after last fill up, dried around pump and gas just weeped though top of sending unit, hair line crack I assume, will replace sending unit myself. Disappointed that this doesn't meet recall standards per Mercedes.

- Derry, NH, USA

Apr 012011

E320 6-cyl

We noticed a strong gas smell especially right after fueling up the car. We parked our car in an enclosed garage so the entire garage smelled off gas. As the gas level was reduced from operating the car the gas smell went away. When we filled up again the gas smell was back. We moved and had our car in an open air parking stall and it didn't seem as much of a problem. Now we have an enclosed garage again and the smell of gas is very noticeable. Again the smell is the strongest right after fueling. We recently replaced the charcoal canister and shutoff valve (regeneration valve and purge valve) for a cost of $700 but this has not fixed the problem.

- Germantown, TN, USA

May 122013

E320 6-cyl

While traveling on the Washington DC beltway in the fast lane, in heavy traffic, the engine completely shut down leaving us stranded in very heavy traffic. Needless to say, this was a very precarious position. Fortunately, police assistance arrived and called a towing service and got us out of harm's way. The problem was diagnosed as a failed crank shaft position sensor. This results in the computer turning off the ignition creating an obviously hazardous situation. I reported this to Mercedes customer service, but they're reaction was that this occurs infrequently, but they were aware that it does happen. So I am notifying you for your information.

- Annapolis, MD, USA

May 012012

E320 6-cyl

After refueling, the car has a strong gasoline odor inside and outside the car. The air brakes make a roaring noise when pressed. The air bag is deactivated SRS indicator remains on.

- Mesquite, TX, USA

Apr 022013

E320 6-cyl

After refueling, the car has a strong gasoline odor inside and outside the car. The air brakes make a roaring noise when pressed. The air bag is deactivated.

- Stone Mountain, GA, USA

Jan 062013

E320

The contact owns a 2004 Mercedes-Benz E320. The contact stated that there was a fuel odor being emitted from the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 68,000.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jan 152013

E320

The contact owns a 2004 Mercedes Benz E320. The contact stated that there was a gasoline fuel odor inside the vehicle. The contact inspected the vehicle and discovered a fuel leak in the fuel pump. The contact took the vehicle to a local mechanic, who advised that the seal around the fuel pump needed to be replaced. The contact did not replace the seal. The failure mileage was 128,100.

- Jefferson, GA, USA

Apr 012012

E320 6-cyl

There has been a strong smell of gasoline in my garage where E320 is parked on multiple occassions over the past year. Most recently, fuel pump was replaced by Benz dealer service technician and the smell became stronger and stronger only to find gas leaking from car 2 days later.

- Vista, CA, USA