2004 Mercedes-Benz E320 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Mercedes-Benz E320:

2004 Mercedes-Benz E320 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Oct 102012

The contact owns a 2004 Mercedes Benz E320. The contact stated that refueling the vehicle, there would be an strong gasoline fuel odor inside the cabin. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection and was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 110,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Grayson, GA, USA

Apr 112012

The contact owns a 2004 Mercedes Benz E320. The contact stated that when she refilled the gas tank, she smelled a strong gasoline smell inside and outside the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the gas tank and all associated parts would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 76,000 and the current mileage was 92,000.

- Falls Church, VA, USA

Apr 052013

E320 6-cyl

I took my vehicle to my regular independent Mercedes-Benz mechanic because there was strong gasoline smell inside the passenger area of the car and I noticed there was a small puddle of gasoline under the car whenever I filled up my tank. My mechanic inspected the car and found gasoline pooled up in the recess where the fuel pump attached to the fuel tank. He informed me that the leaking fuel posed a serious safety hazard and could possibly lead to a fire, or even a possible explosion should I park inside my garage. He said the water heater Pilot light or any other source of spark could ignite the fumes and burn my house down. In addition, he stated he had seen this same problem many times before and that Mercedes-Benz has been aware of the problem for many years but refuses to accept that they had installed a defective part in the thousands of vehicles of this model they produced. It would simply be too expensive to remedy. If I wanted it repaired it would be at my own expense since Mercedes-Benz is accepting no responsibility for this known issue.the leak has caused my vehicle to be unsafe to operate.

- Canyon Lake, CA, USA

Mar 262013

The contact owns a 2004 Mercedes Benz E-320. The contact stated that gasoline fuel fumes were emitted into the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that there was a leak in the sending unit. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 104,000.

- San Fernando, CA, USA

Mar 252013

E320 6-cyl

After filling the tank at a gas station, I went home (5 miles) and parked the vehicle in the driveway. When went back out to driveway about15 minutes later noticed a bad gas smell around the vehicle. Smell was worst under left rear door. Looked under vehicle and could see smell gas in the tray below the gas tank. I pulled the tray down slightly and a few drop of gas dripped out. I could feel gas in the tray with my fingers. I think gas tank is leaking from top of tank. Glad I didn't park in the garage.

- Bloomfield Hills, MI, USA

Sep 212011

After fueling the vehicle there is a strong smell of fuel almost like it is leaking.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Oct 172012

E320 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Mercedes Benz 320E. The contact stated that while the vehicle was parked, she noticed a strong gasoline fuel odor around the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis. The technician stated that the fuel pump would have to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 78,000. Updated 05/08/13 updated 05/22/2013

- Corona Del Mar, CA, USA

Mar 012012

• 1,013,000 miles
When we fill up the car with gas we have a residual smell of gasoline upon return to our garage. This does not happen if we do not fill it up fully. We thought we must have a leak somewhere, but are not sure and although we discussed it with our mechanic, we have had no resolution to date.

- Carpinteria, CA, USA

Mar 212013

E320 6-cyl

Strong smell of gas in garage after a fuel fill-up.

- Delray Beach, FL, USA

Oct 232012

E320 6-cyl

Mercedes E320 2004 smells like gasoline in my garage, especially left side (though fuel door on right). I took to my mechanic who told me gasoline puddling on top of tank and I needed fuel pump, fuel pump seals left and right, fuel pump bracket and cable harness. Spent $625 to fix. I saw in newspaper yesterday (March 20, 2013) NHTSA has received 533 complaints regarding fuel leaks regarding Mercedes. I think there is something wrong.

- Austin, TX, USA

May 312012

E320 6-cyl

Car started reading SRS airbag malfunction (still needs to be repaired) car is sometimes unable to read how much gas is in the vehicle. Car couldn't pass emissions. Check engine light on.the car smells of a strong gas odor. Unable to park the car in the garage because of the strong smell. Every time the tank is filled with gas the car presents a strong gas odor until it gets below half a tank. Mercedes wanted to charge me $4000 to have it fix so I took my car to a foreign car repair shop who charge me $1,300. Problem fixed, however I recently took my car to Mercedes because my check engine light came back on so they charged me $2,100 to fix that along with regular maintenance.

- Fairburn, GA, USA

Feb 152012

E320 6-cyl

A strong smell of fuel was present after starting the vehicle in my driveway. Checked the vehicle for leaks and found none. The following day, the same occurred in my driveway but fuel seeped from the rear of the vehicle when I backed up. Took the car to my Mercedes mechanic who inspected the vehicle and replaced the fuel pump and lines located above the fuel tank.

- Grapevine, TX, USA

Feb 092013

E320 6-cyl

Reference NHTSA action # PE12001 February 8, 2013 I bought a car from a dealer. On a next day I filled full tank and found gasoline smell from driver side next to the rear door. I did some research on internet and found many similar issue. To verify if I have same problem I raise a rear seat cushion, unscrew 6 bolts on small bay from driver side to get access to fuel sending unit and found a crack on it along with gasoline spilling over.

- Houston, TX, USA

Feb 122013

E320 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Mercedes Benz E320. The contact stated that she could smell gasoline fuel from the exterior and interior of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who inspected the failure and advised that there was a fracture in the fuel tank, which needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Carmichael, CA, USA

Jun 022012

E320 6-cyl

NHTSA action# PE12001 heavy fuel smell for several days after filling vehicle up with fuel.

- Fayetteville, GA, USA

Dec 182012

E320 6-cyl

I noticed a strong gas smell in the cabin. There was a pool of gas when I removed the rear seat. It came out of the top of the fuel tank. I also got a obe2 error code. NHTSA should do something to protect citizens.

- Duluth, GA, USA

Mar 012012

E320 6-cyl

When the gas tank is filled it results in a bad gas odor smell.

- Torrance, CA, USA

Nov 082012

E320 8-cyl

Had to replace the fuel pump now I have to replace the fuel tank. Can not fill my fuel tank if so the fuel smell fills my home because I park in the garage. Took it to my mechanic and was told to watch for flames it could cause serious problems. Please help with this issue.

- Harvey, LA, USA

Oct 162012

E320 6-cyl

We recently purchased a 2004 E320 with 71000 miles in August 2012. Last week, now with 74000 miles, we noticed a strong gas smell in the car. After doing some research online and in Mercedes forums we concluded that it may be the fuel unit. We pulled the rear seat and took off the cap and noticed a pool of gas, right under where our 2 yr olds car seat is, about 2 cups that I took out by soaking numerous papertowels.I also took pictures just in case it may be needed it the future. Throughout all my searches online I've noticed that this problem is very common in the E class and numerous people have tried to resolve it through Mercedes but nothing has been done. A recall was issued for the E55 trim but no other, which makes us wonder why. We will not drive it until it gets fixed (as of today it has not been ) because we feel it is not safe for our family to have a pool of gas with electrical wires right beneath our seats.

- Wichita Falls, TX, USA

Feb 182010

E320 6-cyl

My 2004 Mercedes Benz E-320 began emitting a strong odor of gasoline in 2010 and was taken to the local dealership (schumacher Mercedes in scottsdale, Arizona) for inspection when it was determined that there was a leak in the fuel tank and that it needed to be replaced along with the left sender pressure sensor and tank fittings. The vehicle had approximately 60,000 miles at this time and was outside of the initial warranty so the $2,500 repair was undertaken. Approximately 2 years later and 40,000 miles later, the same symptoms returned and the vehicle was taken back to the same dealership for inspection. It was determined once again that the same problem was occurring and the fuel level sensors were leaking fuel and needed to be replaced again. The cost for this repair was estimated to be $1,200 and this time the repair was rejected. The service advisor at the dealership claimed this is a common problem with these cars and there was nothing they could do about it. The vehicle had always been maintained by the dealership since the beginning and apparently there have been no recalls issued that we were aware of for these malfunctions and defects. I have contacted Mercedes corporate office and they opened up an investigation only to determine that the dealership acknowledged the problem with the vehicles but neither party was willing to accept responsibility for the defect and no additional assistance would be available or commissioned for me. This is a major safety issue and should not be considered a common issue or routine maintenance for any car, let alone a Mercedes Benz. If something does not get rectified with this epidemic malfunction of these vehicles, it could lead to a major accident or even death.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA