2006 Mercedes-Benz E350 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Mercedes-Benz E350:

2006 Mercedes-Benz E350 Owner Comments

Jan 272015

There is a serious safety issue with 2006 Mercedes-Benz E class (mbec) because of a manufacturer's and/or design defect which causes this vehicle to not go into proper gear and/or stall suddenly putting the public at risk. I barely escaped being smashed into by oncoming traffic while making a routine left hand turn into a gas station because my mbec was stuck in gear and did not accelerate as it was manufactured and designed to do but rather sputtered at less than 5 miles per hour (mph). The only reason I was not T-boned and likely seriously injured along with other people was because the other drivers swerved into oncoming traffic causing those drivers to also swerve. Miraculously no one was injured, this time. Also, the reason why I was turning into the gas station was because I was forced to get off the highway because my mbec would not change gear after I got on the highway and was approaching red-lining at and it seemed like the engine might blow. The tiptronic also failed during this malfunction. I had the authorized mb dealer that I have used since I purchased my mbec pickup my vehicle to look into this issue and my advisor told me I needed a new balance shaft because the one in my vehicle had prematurely worn (even though I have always stringently followed my mb advisor's suggestions) and it would cost roughly $6,500. S/he also said this occurs in roughly 15-20% of '06 mbec. But mb would not fix this safety defect unless I paid. Worse yet, my advisor never made me aware of this serious safety issue even though S/he previously knew or should have known and as a result put the public at risk by not enabling me to resolve this serious safety issue with my model year vehicle until the occurrence of a near catastrophe. There should be a safety recall now that this safety defect has come to light and unless there is, the public will remain at serious risk.

- Dorchester, MA, USA

Dec 202014

Gearing mechanism suddenly failed while driving thus causing the vehicle to stall. Was unable to move forward until the car was shut off, restarted and then car moved forward with a very jerky motion situation posed a dangerous hazard to passengers as well as other vehicles in the flow of traffic.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Dec 022013

Balance shift worned

- Rowlett, TX, USA

Aug 012014

The contact owns a 2006 Mercedes Benz E350. While driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle jerked, stalled, and the check engine warning light illuminated. In order for the vehicle to be restarted, the key had to be taken out of the ignition and re- inserted. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the balance shift and crank shaft needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 87,000.

- Mineral Springs, AR, USA

Dec 032012

Check engine light comes on and when check indicates cam sensor problem. I was told that Mercedes knows about this problem.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Nov 012014

PO16, PO17 needs to replace balanceshaft timing chain will cost 8-10K. Engine will fail if not replaced. There is a notice on this. Check engine light stays on. Mercedes refues to pay, cover cost when it is manufacturer defect. The engine should last longer.

- New Windsor, NY, USA

Oct 142014

Balance shaft manufacturing defect causes gear teeth to wear prematurely. This is a internal engine component. Poor materials caused the camshaft sprocket teeth to wear out thus this is a manufacturing problem. Internal engine components like balance shaft sprockets are meant to last at least 150000 miles on mb cars thus they are difficult to replace & repairs so expensive. Symtpom starts with camshaft position related check engine light - repair costs $7000. This occurs for many many many cars with that M272 engine. This is a environmental and safety hazard. Mercedes should be forced to do a recall. Ref: mbworld.org/forums/E-class-W211/442004-dreaded-M272-balance-shaft.html ref: mbworld.org/forums/C-class-W203/376585-P0016-P0017-camshaft-position-sensor-location-please-help.html

- San Jose, CA, USA

Aug 012014

E350 6-cyl

Check engine light comes on shortly after fill up of gasoline. Light goes out when tank is about 1/2. repeats at next fill up. Check engine code is P0456: Evap system very small leak.

- Herndon, VA, USA

May 012013

E350 6-cyl

About a year ago (May 2013) we noticed gas smell in the compartment of the car. Initially it was sporadic. We thought it was from outside of the car or may be under the car, or gas tank cap was not tightened properly. After I took my car to Mercedes Benz dealership on 9/6/13, I found out that the smell was not from either of the above scenarios. It was indeed from inside the cabin and the Mercedes Benz technician told me that it was from fuel leakage under the back seat and it would cost $1380 to fix it. Additionally he said that he had seen numerous cases like mine, and some were so bad that they would not be able to drive it in, and had to tow the car in. Because of the high cost in addition to the other repairs that I had to do worth $1,200, I decided to delay this repair. Now we can not even drive the car because of the intense smell and will cost me probably more that $1,380 to fix it. I believe strongly that this is a manufacturer defect and should be fixed and paid for by Mercedes Benz.

- Glendale, CA, USA

May 072012

E350 6-cyl

After refueling, I noticed a strong odor of gasoline in the garage where I park my car. After driving the vehicle a few miles and parking in the garage, the odor was no longer there. I started noticing a pattern that whenever I refueled the vehicle, there was a strong odor of gasoline in the garage that dissipated once the vehicle was driven a few miles. Right after I started noticing the gas smell, the vehicle check engine light came on. I recently had the vehicle checked by an authorized Mercedes Benz service center who stated gas tank has crack at the top and is leaking fuel. The entire tank and all the components will need to be replaced at $3,000. I mentioned that there are a lot of other vehicles with this problem and a couple of class action lawsuits and it appears that the vehicle's gas tank is defective. The service technician refused to repair the components under any campaign or recall.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Mar 052014

The contact owns a 2006 Mercedes-Benz E350. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the engine seized. The vehicle was taken to the manufacturer where it was found that the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 97,000.

- Redding, MA, USA

Jan 122014

E350 6-cyl

While driving 70 on hwy, check engine light came on, so I immediately stopped and called a tow truck. Mechanic's diagnosis was that the tumble flap was broken in the air intake manifold. The only fix is replacing the entire manifold for $2000 plus labor, tax and gaskets. The flaps are small and could be an inexpensive fix but all dealerships that I called confirmed that the only fix available is to replace the entire air intake manifold. Research tells me that this is a very common problem on this and many other models within the same years.

- Southlake , TX, USA

May 282013

E350 6-cyl

Purchased 2006 Mercedes-Benz E350 4matic with 47,851 miles on odometer from mattie imports, Inc., fall river, MA on May 27, 2013. Automobile had approximately one-quarter of a tank of gasoline at purchase. Salesperson declined purchaser's request to "top-off" the gas tank prior to buyer leaving sellers lot. On May 28, 2013 buyer filled gas tank with fuel. Buyer immediately noticed a strong gasoline odor which continued after exiting fueling station. Odor progressed from exterior of automobile into automobile cabin. Buyer checked fuel tank filler cap and confirmed it was properly engaged. Buyer inspected the entire automobile for any leaking fluids and found none. The strong odor of gasoline persisted throughout the night while the automobile was parked in buyer's garage. Buyer left the garage door partially open and placed a fan in the opening and set the fan to exhaust in an effort to remove the strong fuel odor. The following morning the strong gasoline odor was still present. Buyer's 13 year old son was unable to withstand the odor and had to cover his nose and mouth while passing through buyer's garage. Buyer has experienced nausea and lightheadedness since being exposed to the odor. Upon research buyer learned that there exists and ongoing NHTSA investigation into this issue and a class-action lawsuit as well.

- Fairhaven, MA, USA

Nov 192011

The contact owns a 2006 Mercedes-Benz E350. The contact stated the check engine light illuminated. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer who stated that the cam shaft was unbalanced and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 158,510.

- Norwalk, CT, USA

Mar 102013

E350 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Mercedes Benz E-350. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle jerked and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was diagnosed that the cam shaft needed to be rebuilt. The manufactured was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage and current mileage was 64,000.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Oct 312012

I have appr. 64,0000 miles on my Mercedes E350 and the check engine light came on. Sent it to the Mercedes dealership and said that the car had a balance shaft problem. Sold me the car in 2008. Service bulletins were out since 2007. Mercedes will only help minimally with the cost. Total cost so far is $3750. To much for me. Told Mercedes that I would have to drive around in a defective vehicle with my family and asked the rep. If that was safe, he replied "no". rep. Said that there was no campaign out on this problem. Something needs to get done before casualties occur.

- Mooresville, NC, USA

Feb 012012

E350 6-cyl

I had so many problem with my Mercedes E350, but when the engine light was on I couldn't believe was the balance shaft. It was in warranty so I didn't pay a cent but when they returned the car back was not the same any more, the tail light was cracked and the A/C opening are inside. The car is not any more the same, sometimes is shaking, and has so many other problems. I saw online that Mercedes has to many cars with this defects that brings more problems, so I'm asking what are you waiting for a recall"????"

- Boca Raton, FL, USA