2006 Mercedes-Benz E350 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Mercedes-Benz E350:

2006 Mercedes-Benz E350 Owner Comments (Page 6 of 6)

Oct 082010

E350 6-cyl

Fuel sending unit leaking.

- Orange, CA, USA

Oct 052012

E350 6-cyl

Fuel tank leaking fuel at vent hose in top of tank. The complete gas tank had to be replaced. This was discovered after safety complaint ODI number 10476789 was filed outlining another severe gas tank leak. I followed the servicing dealer's instruction for eliminating gas smell from the vehicle by leaving windows open while vehicle was garaged and driving with the windows down following my own instincts for survival. However, the gas smell did not dissipate. I continued to smell gas when I would approach the vehicle; and the gas odor would get stronger the longer the vehicle sat. I took the vehicle back to the dealer and the 2nd leak was discovered, prompting them to replace the entire gas tank. The severe fumes have created allergy and sinus irritation issues for me; and a phobia of driving the vehicle, especially when cigarettes are thrown from vehicles in front of me. I am so afraid that my vehicle will explode with me inside of it...just imagine!

- Orlando, FL, USA

Sep 252012

The contact owns a 2006 Mercedes-Benz E350. The contact stated that while approaching the vehicle, she smelled an overpowering gasoline odor being emitted from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was confirmed that the fuel tank seam had failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the issue and informed the contact that the dealer would be handling the repair costs however, the dealer stated that the manufacturer would handle the repair costs. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was unavailable and the current mileage was 74,000.

- Palm Desert, CA, USA

Sep 252012

E350 6-cyl

Car smells of gas. I read many complaints on the 2006 E class, with the same issue.

- Palm Desert, CA, USA

Sep 272012

E350 6-cyl

For several months there has been a strong odor of gasoline after fueling the vehicle. The odor has become steadily worse and we took the vehicle to the dealership for assistance. We were told that the fuel tank was cracked and had to be replaced. When I inquired how this could have occurred, I was told it could be due to impact or trauma (which is impossible as the vehicle was not involved in any incident). Was informed that it would cost $2,300 to repair vehicle. Called mb-usa and asked for assistance. Was informed that there was not a recall on the fuel tank and I would have to pay the cost. As the vehicle was unsafe, I had the work performed and received a 10% "goodwill" discount. Picked up vehicle and drove a short distance and continued to smell fuel. Called dealership and they came to pick-up. Acknowledged that they did not tighten a clamp or something. We picked it up again and the odor was persistent. Immediately called the dealership back and we subsequently traded the vehicle in. Bottom line.... I do not think that a fuel tank should fail on a vehicle with less than 90,000 miles. I have the old tank and believe that mb should reimbursement for the cost of the tank.

- Aynnor, SC, USA

Aug 052009

Strong smell of gasoline mostly outside the car whenever I fill the gas tank. I never overfill. The smell exists even when I don't fill to the very top. The garage has a strong smell of gasoline whenever I fill the car with gas and park the car in the garage. I am afraid the gasoline fumes may ignite and blow-up my house.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Sep 102012

E350 6-cyl

Heavy gas smell inside and outside vehicle. Fuel leaking from defective elbow hose connection allowing gas to leak inside the vehicle under the back seat insulation and fuel cover; fuel traveled outside of the vehicle by way of dripping from underneath the back of the vehicle along the exhaust pipe causing strong gas fumes when parked and while driving.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Sep 052012

E350 6-cyl

2006 Mercedes Benz model E350. Strong fuel odor emanating from rear area (trunk) of vehicle on the outside. Car would not start and towed by aaa to Mercedes Benz dealership/car repair. Aaa tow driver stated that the odor of gasoline was so strong he was tempted in calling the fire department. Mercedes Benz service representative informed us at first that car was full of water. Originally the mechanic claimed he found a pool of water inside the car's trunk. The service representative informed the technician of our complaint of a strong odor of fuel coming from both inside and outside the vehicle. It was at this time the technician stated that he found a heavy pool of fuel in the trunk area of the vehicle. They were unable to identify the source of the fuel leak. They changed the gasoline tank and fuel pump but were uncertain of the actual cause of the leak. The vehicle remained at the dealership for one week. Mercedes Benz service manager refused to acknowledge the fuel leak was caused by a factory defect and not by wear and tear of the parts and we were charged for all the repairs. We are aware that similar incidents have been reported for the same Mercedes Benz model in other states. We feel this needs to be addressed urgently before someone either gets hurt or loses their life.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Aug 222012

E350 6-cyl

Strong smell of gasoline vapors inside cabin while driving and also while parked. Got headache while driving from fumes. First noticed smell of gasoline when I entered my garage. Then I noticed gasoline leaking near rear driver wheel. Towed car to mechanic. Mechanic said there was a leak in the fuel sending unit on the drivers side. Mechanic replaced the fuel sending unit. Seems to me that gasoline vapors in my garage or inside the cabin are a health hazard and potential for explosion.

- Austin , TX, USA

May 072012

E350 6-cyl

Reference NHTSA action number: PE12001. Smell fuel after filling tank. Smell noticeable outside car. Smell would go away when fuel level drops. 6/22/12, during normal maintenance visit at dealer, I mentioned fuel smell. They found fuel smell coming from a leaking fuel pump O-ring seal. They replaced the O-ring on the top of the fuel tank. I filled the tank 5 days later. Smelled fuel again. I removed the back seat and opened the fuel pump access port. The well around the fuel pump housing was full of fuel. 7/5/12, returned car to dealer. They said that the tank was "warped" and needed to be replaced. The leak seems to have stopped, but fuel had leaked onto the insulation under the back seat. The interior of the car now reeks of gasoline, almost to the point of not being able to drive due to smell.

- Claremore, OK, USA

Feb 062008

Everytime I fill the car up with gas I smell a gas leak coming from the fuel pump under the rear seat driverside.

- East Elmhurst, NY, USA

Feb 222012

E350 6-cyl

Fuel vapor leek around the fuel tank. If tank is filled beyond 3/4 a strong odor of gas permeates the cabin as well as the immediate area surrounding the car. Can not keep in an enclosed garage for fear of explosion.

- Austin, TX, USA

Oct 032011

E350 6-cyl

Strong gasoline smell inside car....fuel sending unit under rear seat pooling with gasoline......occurs at fillup and smell reduces as tank empties.....

- Nashville, TN, USA

May 122012

E350 6-cyl

Fuel smell when vehicle is filled up...fuel leaking at top of fuel tank...this is a know problem with the W211 E class cars from 2003 to 2009 dealer wants $2000 to repair this flaw in the fuel system Mercedes will not help at all with this known problem.

- St Johns, FL, USA