2006 Mercedes-Benz E350 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Mercedes-Benz E350:

2006 Mercedes-Benz E350 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Mar 182011

E350 6-cyl

Strong smell of gas in my garage after filling up with fuel.

- Shelton, CT, USA

Aug 232012

E350 6-cyl

After each visit to the gas station to fill up with fuel have heavy odor of fuel around entire car. Especially when parked in garage overnight and entire garage smells of gas. Now have to park car outside.

- Santa Clarita, CA, USA

Sep 062013

E350 6-cyl

There is an extremely strong gasoline smell in the cabin and exterior of my vehicle. It is very strong smell immediately after filling the fuel tank, but continues to smell throughout the levels in the tank. I am very afraid of a possible fire due to the what seems to be excess gasoline. I am extremely fearful should I ever get involved in a rear end type accident. I feel that myself and my family are in danger until this situation is evaluated. This is a known condition that the manufacturer should take responsibility for and rectify the situation.

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Aug 292013

E350 6-cyl

Strong fuel odor was detected in my E350 Mercedes Benz car for few days. Called my Mercedes Benz maintenance shop( Mercedes Benz -green way plaza at houston tx). They checked the car and they told me this a common in this series car. The fuel leak was from fuel pump on top of the fuel tank. This is a very dangerous issue, especially in hot weather area like houston. I don't understand why there is no "recall" on this issue. Updated 09/10/13 updated 12/21/13

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 272013

E350 6-cyl

Based on news items regarding Mercedes-Benz W211 (U.S.a. model year 2003-2008 E class) vehicles experiencing fuel leaks, an inspection of the fuel system was performed on the above listed vehicle. Gross exam revealed no fuel puddling on the ground beneath the vehicle and a lack of fuel odor within the interior and exterior environment immediately adjacent to the vehicle. However, removal of the rear seat bench, underlying insulation pad and left fuel pump access plate revealed fuel odor; closer inspection revealed the superior outer aspect of the fuel pump assembly to be wet with gasoline; fuel-induced discoloration (white to brown) of the plastic comprising this superior aspect was clearly evident. Pooling of fuel within the left pump well of the plastic fuel tank was not present. The clamped black rubber fuel delivery hose was secure and dry, as was the outflow nipple to which it was attached. The plastic immediately adjacent to the nipple was not discolored. No remedial action was taken at this point, however, installation of a new style pump (delivery unit with fluid level sensor, M-B pn A211 470 41 94) and seal ring (M-B pn A211 471 05 79) is planned in the immediate future.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Aug 012013

E350 6-cyl

After filling fuel tank, noticed strong fuel odor on drivers side of car. Opened fuel sending unit access panel under rear seat and noticed fuel pooled on top of the sending unit. The fuel odor dissipates as fuel is consumed. However, the odor returns on each full tank fill. Summary: Gasoline is leaking from the fuel tank under the rear seat behind the driver.

- Mebane, NC, USA

Sep 032009

E350 6-cyl

Gas smell/leak when tank is full.

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Jan 232013

E350 6-cyl

The same day plate light, trunk remote opener stop working due to melted brown wire in the trunk dealer do not want to fix actually asked for 300 to check the problem. A lots of discussion is going on the web to solve but I could not. Fuel smell in the garage often.

- Bedford, TX, USA

Jan 152013

E350 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Mercedes Benz E350. The contact stated that while parked he noticed a strong gasoline smell. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who stated that the fuel tank would have to be replaced because the fuel pump assembly was leaking fuel. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 84,000.

- Van Nuys, CA, USA

Jul 052013

E350 6-cyl

After returning home from the filling station and parking my E350 Mercedes in the garage, I noticed a strong fuel smell outside the driver's side rear of the vehicle, and to a lesser extent inside the car. I was certain I had not somehow "over-filled" it, and after repeated fuelings since then, I know that is not the case. This problem is occurring when the tank is above 3/4-full. It progressively lessens as the amount of fuel in the tank is reduced. I took the car to the Mercedes dealer (where I bought it new) and they advised that the fuel-sending unit is leaking. They wanted $659 for the repair which I declined as I wanted to first do some research and possibly get another quote since the price was absurd. I was then astounded to learn that this is a very common problem on these expensive vehicles, with numerous complaints documented within various automotive forums and filings with the NHTSA. It is wrong that a fundamental part like this should leak fuel. This is not a part that should require any service and in most circumstances should be expected to last the life of the vehicle. There are millions of other vehicles out there without such problems. So, clearly Mercedes did not get it right on their design. I am now concerned about parking the car in my garage since it presents a safety hazard due to the fumes. I expect this problem will only get worse. Mercedes needs to step-up and retrofit these vehicles now instead of leaving it up to the consumer to absorb the cost of their manufacturing mistake.

- Fullerton, CA, USA

Jul 012012

E350 6-cyl

Vehicle at 80,000 has fuel smells in and out of the passenger compartment. Had to replace the fuel tank to remedy the situation. Over $2,000 repair. Found out from the service manager at Mercedes Benz that it is a factory defect. Not good.

- Frisco, TX, USA

Jun 292013

E350 6-cyl

Strong gas odor inside the car. It made me dizzy and had to open the window fully. Closed the window with ac on at maximum fan speed would not help. The odor lasted for 2 weeks. I found the gas accumulated on top of the tank at driver side after I removed the rear seat.

- Rowland Heights, CA, USA

Jul 132013

E350 6-cyl

Leak on the sending unit in fuel tank. Possibly need to replace fuel tank as well. Strong gas smell. Evidently this happens on most of these card and no recall gas been made by mb.

- Dallas, TX, USA

May 132013

E350 6-cyl

The issue originated as a faint fuel smell when the tank was 3/4 full or higher, parked on slight inclines. The problem has become increasingly worse, and today left a trail of fuel behind it. Calling local dealership tomorrow. Current mileage is 123,3xx.

- Xenia, OH, USA

Jul 182011

When entering the vehicle after it has been sitting for a period of time there is the smell of gasoline that lingers until the vehicle has been run for a short time. It happens no matter how much fuel is in the tank but it does not happen all of the time. It can go a week or more sometimes and not happen and then occur for several days straight.

- Lutz, FL, USA

Jun 292013

E350 6-cyl

Very strong, lasting, gas odor inside and outside the car. I searched forum of and found many similar complaints. The cause could be a leaking fuel lever sender due to broken seal. I removed the rear seat and found a puddle of gas on top of the tank. The dealer I called told me there was no recall on this matter and I world have to pay $160 for diagnostic even this is emission related safety issue.

- Rowland Heights, CA, USA

Jun 062013

E350 6-cyl

I took our car to the dealership for regular maintenance and state inspection. After receiving a phone that the gas tank had leaks and needed to be replaced for $2500 in order to pass state inspection I did some research and discovered that there are over 500 complaints being reported with this problem. Obviously, a gas leak is a major safety issue and given that it appears to be a common defect we are surprised that it has not been put into a recall status.

- Glen Allen, VA, USA

May 282013

E350 6-cyl

Purchased 2006 Mercedes-Benz E350 4matic with 47,851 miles on odometer from mattie imports, Inc., fall river, MA on May 27, 2013. Automobile had approximately one-quarter of a tank of gasoline at purchase. Salesperson declined purchaser's request to "top-off" the gas tank prior to buyer leaving sellers lot. On May 28, 2013 buyer filled gas tank with fuel. Buyer immediately noticed a strong gasoline odor which continued after exiting fueling station. Odor progressed from exterior of automobile into automobile cabin. Buyer checked fuel tank filler cap and confirmed it was properly engaged. Buyer inspected the entire automobile for any leaking fluids and found none. The strong odor of gasoline persisted throughout the night while the automobile was parked in buyer's garage. Buyer left the garage door partially open and placed a fan in the opening and set the fan to exhaust in an effort to remove the strong fuel odor. The following morning the strong gasoline odor was still present. Buyer's 13 year old son was unable to withstand the odor and had to cover his nose and mouth while passing through buyer's garage. Buyer has experienced nausea and lightheadedness since being exposed to the odor. Upon research buyer learned that there exists and ongoing NHTSA investigation into this issue and a class-action lawsuit as well.

- Fairhaven, MA, USA

Nov 062012

E350 6-cyl

It has been about a month since purchase when I notice a gas odor inside the car. It smells like a fuel leak. The smell comes & goes. One day I took my car to the Mercedes dealer due to a recall & inquired about a gas leak/odor that I noticed since purchase. I was told that I will have to pay for the diagnostics then if it is the fuel system then it will cost approximately $3000 - $5000. It's been almost a year since I purchase my car & the smell still lingers throughout the inside of my car. I don't drive my car as often as I want to due to fear of a faulty fuel system.

- Lacey, WA, USA

May 062013

E350 6-cyl

When I filled the gas tank I started noticing strong gasoline smell inside the car. The strong odor stayed for more than a few days then went away as the gas was used in driving. Three days ago I had the gas tank filled again and I looked up the problem on online forums and found out that this is a complaint lodged with NHTSA. I'd like to file my safety complaint too as my car is an accident waiting to happen. My garage is filled with gasoline fumes and when I tried to pull the car out of the garage yesterday, I noticed physical gasoline dripping near the back wheel. I called mb usa and the local mb dealer, they all said that I should stop driving it as its a fire/safety hazard and take it into the local mb dealer. Unfortunately, mb will not cover the cost of this repair as its outside the 4 years/50K miles warranty. I've been told that the repair can be expensive and since there's no recall from mb, I'd have to pay for it. If there's a recall (whenever that happens, it could take month/years!!) then mb 'might' reimburse me. I think that this issue needs to be taken care of asap by the relevant authorities and mb should provide the right assistance in getting this hazardous and life threatening issue addressed.

- Acton, MA, USA