2.1

2008 Mercedes-Benz E350 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Mercedes-Benz E350:

2008 Mercedes-Benz E350 Owner Comments

Dec 102014

E350 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Mercedes Benz E350. The contact noticed a strong fuel odor after refueling. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the fuel system needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired at a cost of $3,000. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 124,000.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Dec 152014

E350 6-cyl

Vehicle diagnosed with a leaking fuel tank.

- Alpharetta, GA, USA

Sep 252014

E350 6-cyl

Very strong raw gasoline smell coming from the drivers rear after driving. I checked around car I founded leak.so I can not believe it!

- Fresh Meadows, NY, USA

Jan 012013

E350 6-cyl

For approximately a year and a half, when filling my gas tank, a strong gas smell occurs in the cabin of the car and in the house garage for a few days. To try and avoid this problem I avoid filling my car completely as the smell dissipates as gas is consumed. On July 19, 2014, I filled my tank to the click and proceeded home, parking in the garage. My bedroom is above the garage. While sleeping for a few hours, I awoke with a horrible headache and the strong smell of gasoline in my room. I went to the garage and the smell of gas was overwhelming. I stated my car and moved it out of the garage to the driveway for health and safety reasons.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jun 102014

E350 6-cyl

After filling up gas tank, strong odor of gasoline detected in the real wheel well on the passenger side. After driving for 50 or so miles, odor is gone. Took car to Mercedes dealership and was told the fuel sending unit needed replaced and the repairs would be covered under cpo warranty.

- Belpre, OH, USA

Jun 102014

E350 6-cyl

After filling up the gas from gas station, we see gas leak/gas dripping under the car (underneath the rear seat). We can see gas dripping and the smell of the gas inside the car as well as outside the car. When I looked at the internet, there has been lot of incidents reported by plenty of customers and I don't know why Mercedes is taking a look at it. It can cause serious fire issues since gas is exposed to air. I hope you will take this seriously. The contact merc dealership where we got this vehicle is 17510 North fwy, houston, tx (281) 305-8970. Thanks

- Cypress, TX, USA

May 012012

E350 6-cyl

At the beginning it was a slight smell of gas upon filling up. Thought on occasion it might have topped off to full. Smell of gas dissipated after a couple of days. Smell has now grown to the obnoxious stage and does not dissipate until tank shows roughly 3/4 full. Noted that many other mb owners have registered the same complaint. Please add my name to the list. Based on others experience requesting the dealer to deal with it would have little or no effect. Collectively perhaps you can start some action against them to take action and fix this potentially life threatening problem. A repair cost is suggested to be over $1,000 and frankly the car can not be sold with this existing problem, the liability would be catastrophic!

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Jun 102013

E350 6-cyl

Gas tank fuel sending unit failure causing inaccurate readings. One incident my wife was driving on the freeway in the fast lane and gas gauge indicated 1/2 tank of fuel remaining and car stalled because of no fuel causing a very unsafe situation due to no area to pull over safely. Please reference NHTSA action number: PE12001.

- Oxnard, CA, USA

Mar 012013

E350 6-cyl

My wife and I noticed the strong smell of gasoline each time we bought gas and filled up the tank. Have mentioned this numerous times to personnel at the dealership and every person just expressed puzzlement over the problem and offered to take a look at the car and see what the cause might be. I finally scheduled an appointment about a year later to correct this issue or at least fine the cause because the odor was getting stronger....especially because the car is parked in the garage. The dealership called me and said it would cost about $2000 to repair the seals but they would split the cost with me. They said if I did not repair the seals the car was still safe to drive...we just could not fill up the tank. I went ahead with the repairs but searched the internet and found numerous other complaints on the problem and the ongoing class action lawsuit in the northern district of Georgia and the June 16, 2013 request by NHTSA for information due to 528 similar complaints....please add this complaint to the previous 528. I think someone at Mercedes should have been aware of the ongoing question of tank leakage....the car is not safe to drive with a leaking tank.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Jan 292014

E350 6-cyl

Went over bad bump in the road and the car now has a fuel smell from a leak. Gas fumes are apparent in the passenger compartment.

- Gilsum, NH, USA

Nov 182013

E350 6-cyl

The car exudes a very strong smell of gasoline. The gasoline odor is so strong that I can no longer park the car in the garage of our house as the fumes are so overpowering they seep into the home living areas and cannot be tolerated (breathing). Overall, the gas fumes are strong enough that I do fear that something external (cooking, water heater Pilot light) could possibly cause spontaneous fume ignition/fire.

- Heath, TX, USA

Feb 152013

E350

Every time I fill my 2008 Mercedes E350 up with gas, there is a very strong gas odor coming from the car. This strong gas smell emits from the car until I drive about 100 miles (reducing gas levels in the tank). I park my car in my attached garage at night. When I wake up, my garage and parts of my house smell like a very strong gas odor.

- Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA

Jul 012013

E350 6-cyl

There is the smell of gas inside of the vehicle when driving, as well as outside which is particularly noticeable when garaged.

- Plano, TX, USA

Jul 172013

E350 6-cyl

Reference NHTSA action number: PE12001 2008 E350 rwd, after filling up full tank of gas today 07/17/2013 and park in the home's garage, strong gasoline odor smell coming from rear left (behind driver side) wheel....updated 10-24-13 updated 11/1/2013

- Pomona, CA, USA

Feb 012013

E350 6-cyl

There is a very strong smell of gasoline after refueling. The problem has gotten progressively worse over the last few months. It is now impossible to stay in the garage when the car is parked there - unable to breathe due to the gas fumes. It only happens right after refueling, or when the tank is nearly full.

- Duluth, GA, USA

Apr 032013

E350 6-cyl

Reference PE12001 I occasionally smell gas after filling up my vehicle. Until now, I'd just figured I stepped in some fuel at the station and that the smell was coming from my shoes, but understand that there is an issue with the fuel system.

- Moreland Hills, OH, USA

Oct 102010

E350

I own a 2008 Mercedes E350 4matic. After a trip, with the car sitting at the airport for a week in warm weather, I entered the car and noticed a strong gasoline odor. I vented the car and drove home. The odor remained. Subsequently I had the car put on a lift and there was a stain coming down around the sides of the gas tank. I also removed the rear seat and noticed that the seat foam was saturated with a gasoline smell directly above the access panel for what I believe is the fuel pump assembly. I understand from local mechanics that this may be a frequent occurrence with mb E series cars. This leads to a very dangerous situation in terms of potential fire/explosion as well as excessive evaporative emissions. Mb usa stated that they do not have an active recall campaign for this problem.

- Stevensville, MD, USA