2004 Mercedes-Benz E500 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Mercedes-Benz E500:

2004 Mercedes-Benz E500 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jul 202013

The contact owns a 2004 Mercedes-Benz E500. The contact stated that fuel was smelled around the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the fuel tank needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 115,000.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Jun 142012

My E 320 has gas smell in my garage after refueling since June/2012. The smell is getting even stronger for last a few months.

- San Jose , CA, USA

Apr 082013

E500 8-cyl

Reference NHTSA action number: PE12001. There is a distinct fuel smell after filling up the tank. Do not smell inside vehicle but do smell after the car is put away inside garage. No sign of leakage under the car (puddling or drips). Goes away after fuel tank is less than full. There is no smell if you only fill to 3/4.

- Punta Gorda, FL, USA

Aug 222012

E500 8-cyl

The fuel tank cannot be filled up completely. Doing so causes the car to smell like gasoline. There seems to be a fuel leak on the tank which causes the gasoline to spill. The odor comes mostly from the back seat of the car. If the tank is filled, the car will have the gasoline odor for weeks even with the windows left open. This is quite dangerous in many ways since I have an infant who is required by law to sit in the backseat rear faced.

- Miami, FL, USA

Mar 202013

E500 8-cyl

There was a fuel leak that caused the car to smell of gas when the tank is near full (3/4) to completely filled. The fuel has not been leaking to the ground and I have been unable to pinpoint exact location. When I would go into my closed garage after the car had been parked for a while the smell of fuel is too strong to ignore. My mechanic told me the source is the sending unit and tank assembly. He told me the failure was common and the situation could become very dangerous if ignored. The cost to replace the tank is going to run $2,000. The car has never been damaged and should not require a tank replacement at this point in its lifecycle.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Apr 022013

E500 8-cyl

After fill-up on April 2, 2013, vehicle has a strong smell of gasoline on the drivers side exterior of the vehicle. This problem is present whenever the vehicle is fueled above a certain level.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Feb 042013

E500 8-cyl

Vehicle has a strong smell of fuel after filling the tank. The dealer replaced the fuel pump support on 02/05/2013 but the problem was not solved. The dealer replaced the fuel tank on 03/01/2013. This appeared to solve the problem. The total cost of the repairs was $381.41 + $ $807.35 = $1,188.76.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Mar 012012

After refueling, car had strong odor of fuel leaking. Fills garage with fumes. Worried that Pilot light will ignite fumes. Also, fuel gauge sticks on 1/2 tank even when tank is empty.

- Mount Juliet , TN, USA

Feb 062013

E500 6-cyl

Very strong odor of gasoline especially after filling gas tank. Tank is not topped off at filling and a few days after filling the odor is gone. Reappears every time tank is filled. No visible leak under vehicle.

- Westboro, MA, USA

Mar 202013

E500 8-cyl

Gas tank leaks at the top near the sending unit. Above 3/4 tank level, leakage takes the form of puddles on the floor under the car an noxious fumes are very strong.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Mar 132013

E500 8-cyl

Very strong fuel smell when parked inside the garage. Fuel leaks around the fuel tank. I was afraid to open up the garage door because of the smell/fumes. Very concerned that the car might explode.

- Campbell, CA, USA

Dec 072012

E500 8-cyl

I have noticed strong gasoline odors emanating from my car after refueling. I purchased a new Mercedes Benz gas cap and installed it. Filled the gas tank and gasoline odor was still very strong. I do not 'top off' when refueling. Researched issue online at and discovered that the gas odor issue I am experiencing may be related to a problem being seen in numerous Mercedes Benz E-model vehicles. As advised by the other owners having this issue I detached the rear seat cushion from the car and removed the bolts from the circular access panel that covers a portion of the fuel tank on the driver's side of the vehicle. In the depression on top of the gas tank where numerous electrical wires attach to the fuel pump I found a significant quantity of raw gasoline pooled. This presents a very unsafe situation and I am no longer willing to park the vehicle in my garage due to the potential fire hazard. The pooling of raw gasoline also represents an environmental issue due to the evaporation and creation of toxic fumes. I understand that Mercedes Benz dealers are demanding $2,000. Or more to rectify the problem by removing and replacing the gas tanks in impacted vehicles. I feel that the manufacturer of this defective component should be held responsible to recall it and replace it. I understand that the NHTSA's current investigation action no. For this issue is PE 12001.

- Carrollton, GA, USA

Feb 132013

E500 8-cyl

Fuel collecting under the left rear seat. Strong smell of gasoline inside and outside. Took the rear seat cover out and saw puddle of fuel. I am extremely concerned if it will catch fire and injure or cause death of my children. Updated 3/13/13 pictures received 03/19/13

- Syosset, NY, USA

Oct 012012

E500 8-cyl

After refueling, fuel fumes were emitted into the vehicle and garage where parked. Extremely overwhelming smell and danger obvious. Taken to mechanic and fuel tank has leak at sensor and sending unit seals. The dealer has refused to repair as no recall issued. Owner found many others with exact same issue on this model series and year online and with mechanics experience. Strong potential for imminent fire hazard. Gasoline fumes are hazardous to vehicle passengers, with numerous medical issues noted in research. Strong enough in cabin to cause dizziness, illness or loss of consciousness.

- Escondido, CA, USA

Dec 152012

E500 8-cyl

Very strong smell of fuel, exterior rear left side. Found fuel leak, left rear of vehicle, dripping heavy underneath. Took vehicle to a european car shop, mechanic replaced fuel seal of fuel pump under rear seat. Mechanic removed large amount of fuel from the affected area (leak under rear seat).

- Vacaville, CA, USA

Sep 262011

E500 8-cyl

A strong gas smell in the passenger cabin as well as outside driver side passenger door and the check engine light prompted me to take the car to a local dealer. After diagnostic test, dealer indicated there was a leaking fuel purge valve and shut off valve. After a $1,600 quote, I requested they not do the work so I could take it for a second opinion. Was called back later that day and informed of a "miscommunication" and that the car was fixed with a $1,600 bill awaiting me. I worked out a payment agreement with the dealer and never took the car back despite intermittent gas smells in and outside the car and check engine light going on and off. The check engine light came back on for good less than 12 months later. Took car to another local shop where I was told one of the fuel pumps needed to be replaced. $600 later, and 4 more trips back to the shop, the check engine light and strong gas fumes still permeate the car. Took it to shop #3 today and was told there is a crack in the fuel tank. The quote is $1,700. I don't trust the dealer, and believe that the fuel pump replace by shop #2 was not the issue. It appears as if it's been the fuel tank all along. This is clearly a defect in the part as the car has never been in an accident and has less than 70K miles on it currently. It's a safety hazard and with two children, I don't have a choice but to fix the problem. Please let me know if there is anything additional necessary to help conclude this investigation. I'm hoping there will be recourse with mbusa to reimburse it's customers for the faulty part replacement and labor costs. Thank you.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Nov 082012

E500 8-cyl

Had to replace the fuel pump now I have to replace the fuel tank. Can not fill my fuel tank if so the fuel smell fills my home because I park in the garage. Took it to my mechanic and was told to watch for flames it could cause serious problems. Please help with this issue.

- Harvey, LA, USA

Aug 062012

E500 8-cyl

We purchased this vehicle recently from a private seller. The first time we filled up the tank, we noticed a very strong gasoline odor. I called the seller and he told me that the only way to avoid that is by not topping off the tank. I figured this wasn't normal, so I started doing some research. Turns out Mercedes E class vehicles have a problem with the fuel seal. In fact, there was a recall for this problem, but the local Mercedes dealer does not want to honor it because they say it is only for the amg models. But my model has the same problem. Then, upon further investigation, I found that a class action lawsuit against Mercedes was being filed this year for the same exact issue concerning E class vehicles from 2003-2009.

- Miami, FL, USA

Nov 012012

E500 8-cyl

Upon filling up the car emits a strong gas smell. The gas smell continues to be present all the time even when the car is parked and not turned on.

- North Babylon , NY, USA

Dec 012011

Everytime I fill my fuel tank I've noticed a strong fuel odor. Upon inspection I have found the fuel tank to have traces of fuel on the exterior of tank, so my tank has a leak somewhere.

- Bloomfield , NJ, USA