1.7

2004 Mercedes-Benz E500 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Mercedes-Benz E500:

2004 Mercedes-Benz E500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Mar 152016

E500

There is a very strong smell of gasoline coming from the back seat. When I fill the gas tank the smell is so strong it fills the entire garage. When I removed the back seat I found a small puddle of gas. I first started noticing the smell in the middle of last month -(March 2016)- and continues to get worse each time I fill the gas tank.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Dec 132014

E500

The contact owns a 2004 Mercedes Benz E500. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the brake pedal was engaged and failed to respond as the brake system warning light illuminated. The contact was able to avoid an accident. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the sbc unit needed to replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. On another occasion, the contact stated that while driving at a various speeds, a fuel odor emitted inside the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel tank was fractured and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired two separate times however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the reserve tank needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Rosedale, MD, USA

Nov 162015

E500

The contact owns a 2004 Mercedes Benz E500. The contact stated that while driving at 35 mph, the vehicle vibrated and a strong odor of fuel was noticed. In addition, the coolant warning light was illuminating after the coolant was refilled. The failure occurred constantly. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 127,000.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Dec 042015

E500

When filling the car with gasoline to a full tank, there is a strong smell of fuel that is very strong the next day. I have read in forums that this is a common problem with this model and that mb knows about this but is not doing anything about it. Is there a class action law suit on this matter" I bought this vehicle used. Am I protected under emissions laws or not"

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Nov 012014

E500

I purchased my car used at 132000 miles. This was a pre existing condition that dealer didn't mention anything about, because the next day I filled the tank as it was sold to me with less than 1/4 tank, now I know why, I got a very strong odor of gas that filled my garage and smelled inside the car as well. This happens every time I fill the tank. It also sets a check engine light. Dealership I purchased the car from (not a Mercedes Benz dealership) refuses any responsibility for the problem. Check engine light code is "evaporative emission leak detected (small leak)". also because of the issue my gas light will randomly start blinking and when I accelerate the center display beeps lights up red and said check fuel cap. Fuel cap is fine, I think it's related to the leak.

- Thornton, CO, USA

Mar 062015

E500 8-cyl

I felled my car up with gas at lunch 12 noon and when I got off work at 5pm the gas fumes were so strong I could breathe in my car. I tuck it to South bay Mercedes Benz and was told that the gas tank has a leak and the gas had leaked in to the cabin behind the back set of my car and that the repairs would be covered by the warranty. It's been over 2 weeks and they have no eta on when my car will be fixed. I have a loner but I check online and found that there are a lot of people with this same problem.

- Torrance, CA, USA

Mar 092015

E500

The contact owns a 2004 Mercedes Benz E500. The contact stated that there was a leak coming from the vehicle and a strong odor of fuel emitting into the vehicle when it was refueled. In addition, the contact stated that the vehicle would not start after making several attempts. The vehicle was towed to a dealer but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 191,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 052015

E500 8-cyl

Benz E500/55K miles. I have had two major safety issues with the car. One being fuel tank related and the second sbc pump failure while driving. On the first, too little too late, so many years after the incident and purchase of the car, Mercedes Benz has sent a letter covering the repair and parts for 15 years. I think that in itself is an offense and a crime. On the second issue, sbc pump Mercedes Benz refused to give me in detail the effect of failing sbc pump on other parts of the car or the effect of failed sbc pump. More importantly, service managers are telling customers that they are expecting all models equipped with sbc pump to come to the shop. Now that the 10 years is up in most cars and out of warranty.that is a scam when the dealer knows all these customers will come to the shop (because it cannot be fixed in any auto shop) thereby taking advantage of a safety issue. How do car manufacturers get away with things like this and how dealers get away with things like this. The right thing to do is extend the warranty on sbc pump to 15 years just like they did in fuel tank, that way dealer won't take advantage and customers have peace of mind and won't compromise on safety. Even that is a slap on the wrist compared to the offense and crime.

- Doral , FL, USA

Oct 222014

E500

After filling the gas tank, I parked the car in my attached garage the next day the gas fumes were so strong inside my basement that I called my plumber, thinking I had a gas leak from the furnace. Then I went into my garage, and the gas smell was overwhelming. When I took the vehicle to Mercedes Benz, they did a diagnostic and determined the fuel sensor was bad, along with cracked inner tank module. I had to replace all the associated parts (cable harness, auxiliary pump, bracket, seal ring, etc. Parts: $710.13 and labor: $496.80 = $1206.93. This issue should be reviewed as a manufacturer defect. I've had many automobiles, and never did I have this headache. And I certainly would not expect this from this car. Mercedes Benz needs to own up to these defaults!!! additionally, my battery died at the same time - another parts: $284.05, labor: $207.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Oct 252014

E500 8-cyl

2004 Mercedes Benz E500 smells of gasoline both inside and around the vehicle after refueling to the full tank level. It has become necessary to leave the garage door open after fueling in order to ventilate the garage and keep fumes out of the house. The odor gradually decreases when the vehicle is driven 40-50 miles and the fuel level in the tank drops.

- Chesterfield, VA, USA

Feb 142014

E500

Car makes an unusual, loud, humming noise from the rear of the car, upon starting and constantly, no matter the speed. On occasion, there is no noise, but more often than not, the humming is present. The noise emanates from the rear of the car, and can be heard on the interior and from the outside. Have brought the car into dealership 3X for the issue, and they claim they cannot duplicate the problem, and claim there is nothing wrong. It has been happening for the last 10K miles. Have also experienced the gas smell issue since 35K miles, and lost the brakes randomly; both issues described by others.

- Stamford, CT, USA

Apr 152014

E500

The contact owns a 2004 Mercedes Benz E500. The contact smelled fuel inside and outside the vehicle while refueling the tank. The odor was present on numerous occasions. The dealer recommended that the fuel gasket and fuel pump be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 106,000.

- Lititz , PA, USA

Jul 232014

E500 8-cyl

I have a fuel leak on the left side of my fuel tank. The fumes are so strong that I cannot operate the vehicle due the amount of fuel that settles on top of the pump/ regulator access outlet. The stream is emitting from the area of leakage so quickly that it takes about a minute to puddle and drip to the ground. The danger of a metal object being picked up by a tire and caught up on a piece of metal under my vehicle, at that location, would create a spark that would surely cause a blazing fire to erupt. Also, there is the danger of a passerby tossing a cigarette out of his/ her window, being caught up by the wind and sucked underneath my car, causing a fire.

- Elgin, SC, USA

Jun 132014

E500

You can not put gas into the vehicle it is like there is no vent holes or something because it took me 1hour and 20 minutes to put gas in the car because the pump kept cutting off like there was air in the tank. Maybe its a flap or filter problem, whatever it is it is so frustrating trying to put gas in this car.

- Junction City , KS, USA

May 122014

E500

The contact owns 2004 Mercedes Benz E500. The contact stated that there were fuel fumes emitted inside of the vehicle. The contact mentioned that the failure occurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where a diagnostic testing was not performed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 91,691.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Dec 152007

E500

The contact owns a 2004 Mercedes Benz E500. The contact stated that there was a strong odor of fuel emitted inside of the vehicle after refueling. Whenever three gallons or more of fuel was dispensed into the fuel tank, the fuel would spew from the filler neck onto the ground. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and they were unable to provide a remedy. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 42,000.

- Charlottesville, VA, USA

Nov 152013

E500

The contact owns a 2004 Mercedes Benz E-500. The contact stated that T he vehicle stalled after refueling accompanied by a strong gasoline odor. The vehicle was not taken for diagnosis or repairs. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 38,000.

- Paradise Valley, AZ, USA

Jun 012013

E500

The contact owns a 2004 Mercedes Benz E500. The contact stated that a strong gasoline fuel smell was in the cabin after refueling. There was also a fuel leak near the rear driver's side tire. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis. The mechanic stated that the O-rings would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 141,000.

- Bremerton, WA, USA

Dec 032012

E500

After filling my car with fuel, I have notice a strong odor of gas fumes in my garage which smells throughout my entire home and inside my car. But I don't see any leaks on the floor. After the gas tank drops to 3/4 of a tank, the smell of fumes goes away. This has been going on for a very long time. I believe this is a safety issue and that Mercedes should repair it asap. Thanks. Also the fuel cap sensor constantly stays blinking as if there is something wrong with the connection to the fuel tank opening, every time I re fuel. I have even had the fuel cap replaced with a new one and the sensor in the car still comes on every day.

- Moncks Corner, SC, USA

Jul 312013

E500

The contact owns a 2004 Mercedes Benz E500. The contact stated that while having the vehicle inspected, the mechanic informed the contact that the fuel filter module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 126,000.

- Elkridge, MD, USA