2001 Mercedes-Benz ML320 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Mercedes-Benz ML320:

2001 Mercedes-Benz ML320 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Dec 262009

While driving on I95 in Florida on Dec 26, 2009, my car's brakes suddenly and repeatedly (3 times) engaged on their own without warning. My tires locked up one tire at a time causing me to completely loose control over my vehicle (ML320 2001). Replaced a faulty yaw rate sensor.

- Delray Beach, FL, USA

Jul 252009

I have a 2001 ML320 in which the electronic stability program (esp) system light came on. While traveling at 70 mph, the brakes were applied electronically and the car came to a stand still. It was fortunate that I did not have an accident because the brakes caused the SUV to veer in another lane. Mercedes claims that their demonstration to the NHTSA that the systems applies the brakes for less than 0.3 seconds but that is untrue and it has happen three times with my vehicle (see PE07-007). I have replaced the sensor but yet the problem still exist. This defect will eventually result in death. The only way to resolve this is to get Mercedes to fix this flaw and recalled all affected cars.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Aug 242009

Approximately 10 times in the last 4 days, my 2001 ML320 upon driving @ approximately 40 mph +, brakes lock up suddenly by themselves. It about throws you through the windshield. Triangle light on dashboard flashes. Afterward bas/esp light comes on. This is an intermittent problem. I was driving normally in perfect weather conditions, nothing on the roadway. Four cars about rearended me the first time. It is very scary when this happens. If you look on the mbworld forums and mbenz forums this has happened to quite a few people. I am in the process of trying to replace the yaw rate sensor, being that is what other people on these forums have done. I will keep you posted.

- Oxnard, CA, USA

Mar 272009

My complaint is the same as an existing case #PE07007. After changing the brake switch and yaw sensors stated in the complaint as being the cause of the fault - the problems persist.

- Plantation, FL, USA

Dec 272008

While driving about 30mph in traffic, esp warning lamp in speedometer illuminated and brakes were automatically applied intermittently causing the vehicle to shake violently. The vehicle continued to stop and go until I was able to cross 2 lanes of traffic to exit to the shoulder. Vehicle was turned off and restarted at which time the bas esp malfunction indicator lamp illuminated. Several attempts to drive the vehicle resulted in the same stop and go action. After turning the vehicle off and on several times the stop and go action ceased but the vehicle felt as though it was pulling a heavy load. I was able to drive the vehicle home in this condition. The next day I started the vehicle and no malfunction codes were displayed. I drove the vehicle around the block without incident. I then drove the vehicle on some errands and, as luck would have it, the stop and go action started again as I was accelerating from a traffic signal about 600 yards from the Mercedes repair shop. I left the vehicle with the repair shop and he called a few hours later to say it needed a yaw sensor.

- Northport, NY, USA

Aug 282008

2001 Mercedes Benz ML320 incidents of uncommanded brake application. This happened four times in two weeks. I was driving at a steady speed of 60 mph on a highway when all of a sudden the car shook violently for a second, it felt like the ABS system engaged. And the esp light come on. The last time it happened I was accelerating from a traffic light (5mph).

- Lutz, FL, USA

Jul 102008

I have an 2001 Mercedes Benz ML320. I was driving steady at 40 mph when the right front brake locked up for approximately 3 seconds, it released for about 3 seconds then locked up again for about 3 seconds. The esp light (exclamation light on the console lights up as well) I never touched the brakes!! the SUV left skid marks on the street. I proceeded on and the same thing happened again. I never touched the brakes! the brake lights do not come on when it happens. Good thing I was not on the freeway or any cars slam me from behind.

- North Wales, PA, USA

Apr 152008

ML320 6-cyl

There was no prior indication that there would be a failure. The esp yaw sensor malfunctioned and locked up a rear brake while the 2001 ML320 doing about 70 miles per hour. I was able to regain control of the vehicle after swerving several times and pulled to the left shoulder of the road. I drove the vehicle to the jackson Mercedes-Volvo dealership in macon, ga. Even though the bas/esp light was on. The dealership recommended replacement of the yaw sensor. I was also told by the service rep. That the malfunction of this sensor can cause the brakes to lockup.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA