2007 Mercedes-Benz S550 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Mercedes-Benz S550:

2007 Mercedes-Benz S550 Owner Comments

Aug 072014

S550 8-cyl

My last two vehicles have been a 2007 Mercedes S550. My first one operated well until the last 6-months that I had it. During that time, I had six visits and $5000+ in repairs, before a freak flood totaled the car. I used the insurance money and purchased a second car, identical to the first. I have not even made the first payment, and the car has been diagnosed with a gasket leak between the upper / lower intake manifold. This is a molded gasket and is not field replaceable. The entire manifold must be replaced at $2000. In my research, it has been discovered that this has been a known issue with Mercedes, but they refuse to issue a recall to correct the problem. Instead, they allow the warranty to expire and allow the consumer to pay for the bill. I have contacted Mercedes Benz usa and they refuse to provide any compensation or even acknowledge that it is a known issue. This is totally unacceptable and shows a lack of commitment by Mercedes to stand behind their product. I might point out that they only have 48 month / 50K warranty, which is very low to other vehicles which have a standard 10 year / 100K warranty. This tells me that Mercedes does not have the faith in their cars to increase the warranty. This is a car that cost 100K new and one would expect a better warranty and support from a company that touts their cars as being the best. I can tell you that I will never buy another Mercedes or step foot into a dealership. On that note, I caught my local dealership attempting to overcharge me on a part by $400. Once I proved what other dealers where charging, they made an excuse and gave me the part at the rate that the other dealership was charging. What a shame. Buyer beware!!!

- Rincon, GA, USA

Apr 102014

I was driving my S550 and came to a red light. I stopped at the light and when it turned green, I took my foot off the brakes and pressed the accelerator, but there was to response to pressing the accelerator. The car rpms were increasing but the vehicle was crawling at less than 5mph. This led to me pulling over and parking the vehicle and turning it off. I waited 5 minutes and then restarted it and it began to work normally. The second time this happened was while making a left turn, I pressed the gas pedal and there was no response and the car was revving but traveling less than 5 mph with oncoming traffic having to stop short to prevent crashing into me while I was making the left turn. This was again resolved with me parking the vehicle, turning it off and then restarting it. After the second time this occurred out of no where I decided its a very dangerous safety issue.

- Shirley, NY, USA