2003 Mercedes-Benz SL500 suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Mercedes-Benz SL500:

2003 Mercedes-Benz SL500 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Feb 072009

I cannot believe that there is not or will not be a recall on the "suspension" issue. I too had the fate of my car collapsing on my way home from work-which is 35 miles away-it happened. On the dash it stated in bid bold letters "airmatic car too low". I pulled over and stepped out-my heart felt like it was going to come through my chest. Everyone in that situation understands just how I felt at that time. The front of the car was completely covering half of the front tires-if I turned the wheel it would have scraped the fenders. I left the car there overnite. The next day {Sunday} my partner's brother -who is a mechanic-went to retrieve my car not being familiarized with the Mercedes brand he started the car and pushed every button on the dash-he called me telling me the car was fine it was "fine". he drove my car to my home-much to my puzzlement. The car looked normal. The next day on Monday I started the car and on the dash in big red letters airmatic. Though the car looked fine I saw on closer inspection that one side in front was sagging lower, to sum this up-got the car to the dealer and was told the " air was leaking out of the bags in the front suspension".that cost $1,000 to repair-I think its cheaper to pay that than the alternative. As I write I am furious yes- I have another appointment this coming Monday for my SRS system. This is the second time. This time it has to do with the front passenger seat and the etr-they state there is a fault. I have to pay $540 to have a safe car" this is the second time the SRS light has come on-sounds kind of like the first time it happened too-only that was covered under warranty. I have 74,000 miles on this car. Whats going to happen next? Mercedes submitted a video showing an S class with a collapsed suspension showing that it was fit to be on the road along with other cars-people what are you thinking?this is supposed to be one of the safest cars on the road! that's why we bought it.and about the SRS light"

- Wassaic, NY, USA

Oct 252009

My suspension is horrible!! without warning my S430 airmatic light displayed "visit workshop", I pulled over and noticed my vehicle was riding extremely low...almost touching my front and back tires. Furthermore, there is a rubbing sound when the wheels are being turned. I contacted 4 dealers and they all claimed the suspension and/or airmatic system has been a common concern is why wasn't I notified about a recall" secondly, after scheduling an appointment for this week, mb is claiming that I will be charged for service a. this is unbelievable>>>why is Mercedes loosing their reputation for poor customer service" please contact me...I need my vehicle in operable condition and will expect to be reimbursed by Mercedes once this recall matter is approved and/or active. I'm glad to know that NHTSA cares...thank you.

- Richton Park, IL, USA

Jun 122009

Incident one: 1. while driving in atlanta, ga in February of 2007. The front airmatic suspension failed while crossing an "inactive" railroad track. Just imagine if it was active. Mercedes-Benz towed the car and replaced the defect. 2. a few days ago, I'm driving on a 40 mph speed limit road and my car starts to lower. Again. I was lucky that no one was behind me, otherwise it could have had a different outcome. How many times will someone need to report this "safety hazard" to the national highway and traffic safety administration. Does someone need to die, in order to be heard" please help me. I cannot afford to have the car I purchased, as the salesman said, "the safest car on the road, " become the reason for serious injury or even death to me and others. Thank you, I hope you'll contact me within a reasonable amount of time. We need to be heard. We want you to do something, because it will make us feel that you genuinely car about listening and creating action on these complaints. What does it cost you to recall something" I know what it'll cost me or the public if you don't.

- Fairport, NY, USA

Apr 262009

2003 Mercedes Benz 500sl driving down the road the car just dropped down, the active body control system failed it ruined the undercarriage of the vehicle the car does not even have 50,000 miles on it. It's hard to get it towed. It is very low and it can cause a very serious accident, the funny thing was the next day started the car up the car came up but knowing my undercarriage is destroyed. I had couple incidents happen to men luck I was not on the freeway. It also throws your alignment out.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Jul 182008

The airmatic warning came on my vehicle without prior incident. While driving normally last week, I suddenly noticed the panel flashing this warning. The car did not completely fail, but the car is much lower than it needs to be. When I searched this on-line I came across a forum called or com. There are hundreds of complaints about this problem and many people are calling for mbusa to recall this item. I called the corporate hq and was told to take the car in to the dealer, I was to ask the service manager for a" after warranty assistance". I am not sure what this means, but this is a very expensive item to repair and there may be many things contributing to this problem. Mbusa should stand behind this faulty feature and recall this item. I will take the car in on 07/28/08 and see what the outcome is. I suspect this will cost me close to 1K on a car that has 73K miles. I will ask for the old parts and hold them in reserve for your further instructions.

- Newark, DE, USA

Oct 232005

SL500 8-cyl

I purchased a 2003 Mercedes Benz SL500 in December of 2003. As of today 8 November 2005, the suspension apparently can not be repaired. The car has being taken back to the dealer for the eight (8th) time to repair the suspension. It is currently alexandria Virginia, Mercedes Benz as of November 9th, 2005. While driving the vehicle home from a dinner engagement, late October 2005, one of the front hydraulic shock dropped and the vehicle literally changed lanes. Fortunately, no cars were beside me at the time. I am writing to the NHTSA to get their assistance in determining the feasibility of driving this vehicle with its unpredictable level of safety. I am appalled by Mercedes Benz lack of concern to replace this vehicle, the manufacturer or their representatives, are unable to repair it. I request your assistance to determine my next steps or any actions you can take to compel the manufacturer to resolve this matter.

- Washington, Dc , DC, USA

Jun 252003

SL500 8-cyl

The vehicle (2003 mb slk320) was purchased on 4/14/2004 in AZ and began noticing problems on the drive back to nm. The most significant safety problem involves the transmission, which has been serviced by the manufacturer 8 times without resolution. The vehicle slips in and out of gear at highway speeds. The vehicle has spent a total of over 68 days in the shop for unsatisfactory repairs in a one-year period. To this date, the manufacturer has been uncooperative in resolving these problems forcing me to seek legal services.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA