8.0

1999 Mercury Cougar engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Mercury Cougar:

1999 Mercury Cougar Owner Comments

Apr 182011

Cougar 2.5L V6

The engine is cranking but its just not starting up, It was happening for a little while but only when the engine is warm, not it wont start at all. I thought it was the fuel pump but when I turn the key to on I can hear the fuel pump switch on and when I press the valve on the fuel rail I get possitive fuel pressure. I've replaces plugs and wires and and the starters been replaces and now I'm just at a loss. Any help?

- , Clarkston, MI, USA

Apr 132005

Cougar

Ok here's my problem. The engine will crank but wont fire sometimes. Took the car in and Ford told me they couldn't duplicate the problem, cause it started. I checked the battery and replaced it with a new one. I drove it for a few weeks and it did fine. then one day drove to friends house and it wouldnt start. Wouldnt start for 2 months.. then one day it started. driving down the road last weekend and the car quit. wouldnt start again. this is turning into a real pain in the ass... unreliable.. any help?

- , SPRINGTOWN, TX, USA