2003 Mercury Grand Marquis electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis:

2003 Mercury Grand Marquis Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 272016

Grand Marquis

Lcm recall - the dealer will not order parts from the manufacturer for a failing lighting control module for my 2003 Grand Marquis. They told me that the parts are not available, and just don't drive after dark. I cannot get my headlights to work at random times. They will just shut off, or not come on at all occasionally. Car can be in motion, or stationary.

- Pleasant Grove, UT, USA

Apr 182016

Grand Marquis

Headlights will not stay on need to hold back the headlight switch

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Aug 022016

Grand Marquis

Car stalls when you go over a bump in the road while driving at 30 mph on a 30 mph road

- Canandaigua, NY, USA

Oct 052015

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis. While driving 45 mph, the headlights, turn signal, instrument panel, and interior lighting failed without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the lighting control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 265,000.

- Pinellas Park, FL, USA

May 152015

Grand Marquis

While driving at night the head lights suddenly went out. The only way the lights would work after that is if you hold the high beam lever back.

- North Haven, CT, USA

Dec 082014

Grand Marquis

What is your vehicle sales or service issue?:I received a letter from the Ford company about getting my headlights replaced. My headlights does not work at all and I have to hold my high beams in order to have some lights at night in order to see. This is very uncomfortable when driving with one hand especially, when I have my babies in the car with me. When I went to the Ford dealership in March. They told me that the parts were on back order until June or July. I went back to the dealership (lilliston Ford in kingsland, ga)in the beginning of December 2014. They told me that the parts are still on back order and that they're are 3800 people waiting on those parts. I've been pulled over numerous of times because of my hands slipping off of the high beams and I've had 2 accidents because of my headlights. I need to be put in a rental car are something until my lights are fixed. This is dangerous and is not a safe way to be driving at night..

- Kingsland, GA, USA

Apr 172014

Grand Marquis

The headlights would turn on intermittently and then began to fail completely. With the dash switch in the proper place, the headlights would not come on. The high beams would continue to work, but the low beams would not. A Ford dealership declared that it was a bad lighting control module.

- Ames, IA, USA

Oct 152014

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

My husband and I have had to make other arrangements for us getting back and forth to work after the headlights stopped working on this car. We went to the dealership who stated the part was on back order. We were just able to get the part placed on 1/21/2015 and it worked for the first hour. We took it back on 1/22/2015 and was told that the lighting controls (the switch that turns the light on auto, off etc) is not their problem. It seems they allow these problems to occur long enough to allow it to effect other things on the car then state there was only one problem approved without the out of pocket. However we had no problems until the headlights stopped working. The next thing that went were the dash board lights and now the brake lights. How do we know that depending upon the timeframe problem exists, it may have an adverse affect on other things? this has been a huge inconvenience and it seems they want a fatality before something is done about it.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Oct 182014

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

After leaving home in the dark with no problems, I stopped at a fast food restaurant and went inside. When I came out and started onto an interstate highway, I noticed how dark it was in front of me. Even though the light switch was on, I had no headlights. I continued toward the next exit, only to be stopped by a highway patrolman who noticed I had no lights. While stopped and talking with him about the problem, the lights come on again. I'm now afraid to drive the car if there's a chance that I'll need the headlights. Fortunately, the patrolman was sympathetic and issued no ticket.

- Fairfield, OH, USA

Jul 272014

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

I was driving at early dawn when I realized in some shadier areas the headlights weren't working. I pulled over and confirmed this. I thought that instances of intermittent headlight failure the week before was a misperception on my part. I had received a letter from Ford weeks earlier; Ford has indeed confirmed this problem is due to their lighting control module, so much so that Ford's letter claims that the company will cover replacement for an additional 5 years. My car's module has now failed completely. I am unsure in how many earlier instances, especially in semi-lighter environments where it was less perceptible to me, this intermittent headlight failure put both myself and other drivers, pedestrians, and bicyclists around me in real danger. The failure of my car's module has since been confirmed by my local dealer. In addition, I contacted Ford directly. However, affected drivers, as well as potential future owners, both of whom have and will pose a danger to others, have not and will not have a remedy any time soon, according to Ford, despite their letter. Ford dealer and regional managers suggest that the part is out of stock indefinitely. Future drivers will have no remedy to their cars' unsafe conditions. An allusion has been made to some unsanctioned, uncovered, and pricey, unreimbursable fix with no guarantee of success, hence to guarantee of safety either. Worse still, Ford has categorized this issue as one not entitled to rental assistance despite their "covered" failed part being responsible. States' inspection processes will fail any vehicle exhibiting this clearly unsafe issue. The commonwealth will deem my unsafe and unroadworthy this month, leaving me with no recourse. And with no relief expected from the manufacturer, any other car suffering this failure will meet with the same fate. What is the worth of being "covered" without a safe fix?

- Topsfield, MA, USA

Jul 012014

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

Letter from congressman jones on behalf of constituent regarding a problem she has encountered with her 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis and Ford Motor Company; attn: William moore. The consumer received a customer satisfaction program notice, regarding a potential problem may exist with the electronic module, that supplied power to the headlights, may fail.

- Winterville, NC, USA

May 142014

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

Customer satisfaction program by Ford, #14N01: They (Ford) tell me in a letter that my headlights may fail without any notice of a problem. They (Ford) know this is not only possible, but that it has happened numerous times already. There are blogs that speak to this issue. If it is the function of your department to protect consumers then please do so. This is potentially a deadly safety issue..... if there is even the slightest chance this could happen I don't understand why this department has not rectified it and made Ford recall these vehicles.

- Napa, CA, USA

Apr 202014

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

The headlights on my 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis have stopped working. This has been an intermittent problem. The most recent issue left my wife and mother in law stranded along the roadside. The first time I thought it was the switch in the steering column because after working the blinkers the lights started working. The next time my wife was driving on the interstate highway and the lights just went off at interstate speeds. It seems this is a common issue and has stranded others.

- Trenton, OH, USA

Dec 132013

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

Headlights went off while driving.

- Newfane, NY, USA

Sep 302013

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

Driving down the road and the headlights went out. All other lights work fine, but the headlights work intermittently. I have to use the bright lights and hold the switch while driving in order to be able to drive at night and that is just crazy. I'm blinding everyone I pass and it's very hard to drive that way.

- Rossville, GA, USA

Dec 172013

Grand Marquis 8-cyl Diesel

At 69000 miles the lighting control module, climate control module, restraint control module stopped functioning. All at the same time. Odd they all go out at the same time. Safety issue.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Oct 192010

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

While driving at dusk on my way home (with my 5 year old little girl!), my headlights shut off without warning! we were fortunate that several drivers in the oncoming lane were concerned and conscientious and flashed their high beams to signal that something was wrong. Deductively, I ruled out my lights being off because the switch was on. That was until the traffic light turned red and I saw no reflection on the back of the car in front of me! I flipped the switch off then back on again to see if it was a bad connection in the switch or perhaps it was between positions and would possibly work if I repositioned it. No good! ugh, the light went green! I nervously pulled at the bright light selector to see if they worked! just in time to barely miss the SUV that obviously did not see us!!! I did not let it go until we were safe at home!!! phew!!! I guess now would be the time to change my pants!

- Plainview , NY, USA

May 172010

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

The headlights go out, apparently the lcm module has failed. They will come back on intermittently. When the lights are out the driver has to hold the high beam switch for lighting. Ford ought to voluntarily replace the lcm modules.

- Fowlerville, MI, USA

Aug 112011

Grand Marquis

2003 merc marquis low beam lights went out at 60mph unlit rural road. Almost crashed had I not raised high beam lever on steering column. Low beam operates intermittently. Diagnosed as electronic control module failure. Estimated repair cost $700. If no recall, someone will die.

- Valparaiso, FL, USA

Mar 092011

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact was driving approximately 55 to 60 mph when the head lights and the instrument panel lights failed without warning. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnosis or repairs. The contact stated that the electronic control module failed and that he would be replacing the component himself. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 48,000. The lighting module was replaced. Updated 09/16/11

- Springfield , MO, USA