1. 20 min and a soldering iron for a lasting fix (1 reports)
  2. had to replace the lighting control module for $450 (1 reports)
  4. removed and sent light control module for repair (1 reports)
2003 Mercury Grand Marquis lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis:

2003 Mercury Grand Marquis Owner Comments

Jun 222015

Grand Marquis ES V6

Becoming a nuisance. Driving down the road with my kids and I the lights cut off. I have to either sit on the side of the road to wait until they turn back on or hold the bright lights on while driving. Not to mention I was unable to drive out of town for a funeral because I could not do the night driving. Unacceptable!

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 152012

Grand Marquis LS 4.6L

After checking with the dealer and finding the lighting control module would cost over $600 and that it would have the same problem as the one it was replacing I had to find another solution. I removed the lighting control module and opened it up. There are 4 surface mounted relays on the boards and with the on and off cycles they have worked the solder joints to a point that they may or may not make electrical contact.

I grabbed my soldering iron and solder and hit each contact point on the relays making sure I had really good connection. Repair has been over a year with no issues at all. Works like a charm and really the only cost is my half hour of labor.

- , Rochester, NH, USA

Jul 162012

Grand Marquis

Ford and Mercury should have had a recall for cars with headlights just stopping at anytime - very dangerous - was able to use high beams by holding the dimmer switch in with one hand when lights didn't work at night, annoyed other drivers. Glad I found vendors on ebay who repaired the light control module and returned it promptly. No problems since repair, I used Taxi Parts for Less in South Florida for repairs. Only charged $49.99 for repair. I paid for shipping to them in Priority mail box at Post office, they paid return shipping to me.

- , Clermont, FL, USA

Jun 062008

Grand Marquis Marauder 4.6L Dohc V8

Low Beam Headlamps started cycling on and off, on my drive home from work, @ 1am, a few days in a row....had to take to the Mercury Dealership, to have them try to figure out what was going on.....determined, the Lighting Control Module was going Bad and had to have it replaced....

- , Syracuse, UT, USA