2004 Mercury Grand Marquis electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis:

2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 282016

Grand Marquis

My headlights fail intermittently, don't know when it going to happen. It causes a safety hazard for me and any driver around me on the road. I am afraid to drive the vehicle in the evening. Ford sent me notice of recall twice in two years but, no parts available till they call. Do I have to crash before they get the parts or they waiting for my car to die before it is fixed. A big gamble on Ford part. Guy57575@gmail.com

- Brookfield, WI, USA

Apr 012016

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V861000 (exterior lighting); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. Additionally, the contact stated that the headlights would intermittently become dim without warning. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 177,000...updated 05/02/16

- Dayton, OH, USA

Jan 192015

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis. While driving approximately 55 mph at night, the low beam headlights, tail lights, and instrument cluster failed to illuminate. In addition, the high beam headlights were inoperative. The vehicle was driven cautiously with the hazard warning lights activated. The vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 15V861000 (exterior lighting); however, the remedy involved the replacement of the lighting control module and not the other components that failed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 160,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Newnan, GA, USA

Dec 102014

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

Headlights go out unexpectedly and w/O warning. This has happened at all different speeds, in a parking lot 5-10mph, on roadway 30-45mph and on the highway65-70mph. Lights will come back on just as unexpectedly w/O apparent cause. Have shut down and restarted car with no effect, turned light switch on/off, no effect and then they will turn on after several minutes while parked. Sometimes the lights will turn on and off several times before staying light.

- Kc, MO, USA

Apr 092013

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that the front passenger side window switch was inoperable. The switch was previously replaced twice. The failure occurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 86,000. Updated 11/21/14 updated 8/13/2015

- Miller Place, NY, USA

Sep 012014

Grand Marquis

2004 Mercury Grand Marquis. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle headlights turn off randomly and consumer unable to turn them back on. The consumer stated the part needed, was on a 3 month back order.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jul 192014

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

Headlights would not light had to hold the dimmer switch to flash. What is the potential cost of a fatality due to the headlights going out while driving down the road" wakeup Ford.... don't you see the big picture or are your lights out too"!!!!

- Moravia, NY, USA

Apr 172014

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated whenever the air conditioner mechanism was activated the air failed to flow through the vents. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who informed the contact that the air conditioner control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Jonesville, SC, USA

Apr 082010

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

I have paid over 500 bucks the first time for the lighting control module. I had my headlights cut off on me while I was driving one day more than 3 years ago. I had tommy vaghun in houston tx repair it. Now I have the same problem again. This is a part that is very expenisve to repair. I have no clue what the problem is that makes this happen. This is a vehicle safety issue with no doubt. This should be a problem that Ford pays for the repairs. I can not drive anywhere at night with out the lights turning off. I have to hold the flash to pass to have headlights.

- Austin, TX, USA

Apr 232014

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

While driving in the evening on an unlit road with my 10yr old in the car my headlights just went out. There was no place to pull over and we came within inches of ending up in a ravine. I have read your NHTSA report on the issues with Ford lcms and I find it ridiculous that this is not considered a safety issue. The internet is full of complaints on this part that Ford knows will go bad and still there is no recall.

- North Olmsted, OH, USA

Jun 132013

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

While driving at night just prior to entering I-77 in columbia SC my headlights went off without warning. I could only keep them on by holding down the high beam lever until I got home. Since then they will sometime work and sometime not. I took it to the local Ford dealership and they gave me an estimate of $943 for parts and labor. In reading other complaints I see this is not an unusual complaint as it has happened to others. Is there any help from the manufacture as I am sure the local dealership is not sympathetic to the problem. This is a dangerous problem as it comes without warning and I could be anywhere at any speed. This was my mom's car and I thank god it happened to me and not her before she passed away.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Nov 012013

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

While driving down the street under normal conditions at night, my headlights went out unexpectedly. They would not turn back on, either in the automatic or manual "on" setting. This problem continues to happen. Sometimes the lights work, but then will turn off without warning. I researched this problem on the internet and there are many, many, other complaints exactly the same as mine, with the same make and model car. To me, this is a manufacturing defect and a major safety concern. Can you imagine this happening at night on the highway in a snowstorm? the faulty part seems to be the lighting control module, which in my area costs $551.78, and labor is about $90.

- Frederick, MD, USA

Nov 042013

Grand Marquis

I was traveling down the highway at 55 when I noticed my headlights were not reflecting off the road signs. I pulled over and checked my lights and noticed I only had parking lights not headlights at all. I got back in the car and tried the light switch but nothing came on. I had to have the car towed and was told the lcm lighting control module has failed. At a cost of 400 dollars. Safety hazard Ford knows about but is doing nothing about it.

- Bristol, RI, USA

Aug 222013

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

While driving pa turnpike headlights cut off with no warning or any"flickering",replace, bulbs & fuses. Didn't help.. the headlights would not work on auto or manual. The only way we were able to safely get off highway was holding bright lite switch forward. This issue has made recalls of "certain models and certain, but not mine"?? why aren't marquis and crown vic, that are"outside" the recall car list, that have the same problem included???is it because not enough people injured or died?? so I'm stuck with a car I can only drive during the day !!! wth? I live on disability and was told it was a thousand dollar repair... why wouldn't Mercury consider cars "outside" the recall years be treated like they were part of the recall, since all the symptoms are the same?" the dealer made me feel like I was trying to rip him off or scam him. The headlights cut off and back on at their discretion.. I don't fell safe driving my, fairly low mileage car(well maintained).don't believe I'll be driving Ford products after this. If Ford would at least help those of us out here, by making the lcm sold to us at a free/at cost, pricing !I feel that would be fair. I'm sure many cars not having this problem don't need "recalled". I would have thought Ford would be honest enough to stand by their products, and address this safety issue?! mail me one and I'll put it in...thank you

- Toledo, OH, USA

Aug 162013

Grand Marquis

While driving home with my wife and granddaughter my wipers started to go on in delay mood and my lights turned on.I was shocked at this because my wiper switch was in the off setting and my light switch was in auto setting and it was a bright sunny day.after about ten or 15 minutes the wipers stopped and lights went out.a few day later I was going to the store and it started all over wipers staying on in the delay mood and this time did not stop.I call my brother in Florida whom is a auto tech and he told me that it seemed like the multifuction switch and told me to change it out which I did.it did not resolve the issue and the car remains down due to this issue.there is only 42300 on this car which my father gave me as a gift and he bought it new from leominster Lincoln mecury and I feel this issue is a safety problem which could lead to complete wiper failing or worse a car fire from some defective system that controls this wiper system.car remains down as of the writing of this report.due to myself being disabled and on S/S disability I do not have the money to fix this problem because I feel a dealer service tech should take this issue from here.I have disconected the battey and the car now sits in my driveway.

- Leominster, MA, USA

Feb 122013

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that the instrument panel malfunctioned. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 30,035 and the current mileage was 30,050.

- West Burlington, IA, USA

Dec 312012

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis. While driving approximately 50 mph, the headlights suddenly failed. The headlights became operable within ten minutes. The malfunction occurred four times. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer twice for the same failure. The second time a diagnostic test was performed, the technician stated the computer chip needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000..... updated 03-28-13 the consumer stated at no time when the lights went off did an indicator on the dash board come on. The dealer advised the lighting control module needed to be replaced. Updated 04/09/2013

- Springfield, VA, USA

Jul 282012

Grand Marquis

My mother-in-law has a 2004 Grand Marquis & last night when she started the car to go home after visiting us, the headlights would not come on at all....additionally, the interior lights have come on all by themselves intermittently, and consequently, the battery is drained each time it happens. The interior problem may or may not fix itself by starting/shutting off/opening/closing door. All I did was type "2004 Mercury Grand Marquis" in yahoo search & a multitude of similar problems came up in the results: All stating a defective light control module (lcm). I am going to take the one out of her car today & take it apart & inspect it for cracked ("cold solder") solder joints as almost anything with a pc board ( (made in the last 25 years especially) tends to develop cracked solder because they are made cheaply by using as little solder possible to hold the joint together (when new, anyways). Yet another cheap, modern junk electronic item pumped out in bulk by the thousands that the manufacturer will not support, unless it fails within the warranty period! I cannot believe Ford Motor Company won't issue a recall for this problem as it is not an isolated problem, according to my research! maybe once someone dies in a car wreck from the lights going out while they're going down a freeway @ 70mph, someone will get a good lawyer and sue the pants off of Ford Motor Company!! class action lawsuit, anybody?

- Elizabethton, TN, USA

Sep 052011

Grand Marquis

Lights went out while driving down a major highway, only brights would work, then they went off. After clicking them off and on they came back on for a while, then off again. What a dangerous situation this is!! please do a recall on this as I have seen numerous complaints about this happening to people. I can not go anywhere at night in my car, only trust daytime driving now!

- Jennings, LA, USA

Jul 012011

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

The headlights failed during operation of the vehicle while in light rain at night in town. I did not notice the lights failed, on coming traffic flashed their lights to tell me my lights were off. Pulling over to the curb I wiggled the cabling under the dash and the lights came on, I then proceeded to move again and the light went off. After a few attempts of wiggling the cabling near the lem module the lights stayed on enough to return to my home. This has been an on going situation with the lights, and I have been on the internet to troubleshoot this fault in the Ford motor vehicles. That this problem has been reported with out a recall is appalling. The location of the failed unit most likely is the reason for service mechanic estimates of $700 to $1500 to replace this part. One only has to go on the internet and write the 2004 lighting problem and see the lem module has a un-going product failure.

- Oberlin, OH, USA