2004 Mercury Grand Marquis lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis:

2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Owner Comments (Page 3 of 8)

Apr 012015

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

Headlights suddenly go out while driving at night. Switching between settings does not bright them back on. The only way to have any headlights on at all is to pull and hold the bar that turns on the brights.

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Apr 062015

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

I recently(2 months) returned my 2003 Grand Marquis due to the headlights going out intermittently. My mechanic explained that there was a recall for the failures of the lcm. The dealership replaced the device in January. Last night while I was driving in the dark, the lights went out again. This will again need to be replaced. Are they using faulty parts for the recall? this is very dangerous and I am lucky to be alive to even type this today.

- West Deptford, NJ, USA

Dec 172013

Grand Marquis

I left the house after dark to pick up my husband from work. When I got to his job I turned the car off because I was early. When he got to the car and I restarted it the headlights did not come on. They came back on after I used the turn signal about 2 minutes later. After that we notice that occasionally the lights would go off while driving at night but would come back on after a couple of minutes. Until one night when they stop working altogether. It stayed that way till we took it to a dealership where they informed us that they were aware of it happening to other cars but the piece that we needed was on back order and we would have to wait for one and a half months. While we were waiting the only way to have headlights while driving was to hold the high beams stick because it wouldn't even work if you pushed the high beams to the always on position.

- Clinton, MD, USA

Jun 012014

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

2004 Mercury Grand Marquis. Consumer writes in regards to headlights failed to come. Consumer sent additional correspondence. The consumer received a letter from Ford announcing a recall program (14N01). The letter stated there maybe a possibility that an electronic module lighting control module that supplies power to the headlights may fail. The consumer stated she began noticing the headlight failure in June. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, where it was determined the problem was covered by the recall program. The dealer ordered the replacement. However, the manufacturer was unable to provide a date, as to when the part would be available.

- Lawrence, NY, USA

Dec 102014

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

Headlights go out unexpectedly and w/O warning. This has happened at all different speeds, in a parking lot 5-10mph, on roadway 30-45mph and on the highway65-70mph. Lights will come back on just as unexpectedly w/O apparent cause. Have shut down and restarted car with no effect, turned light switch on/off, no effect and then they will turn on after several minutes while parked. Sometimes the lights will turn on and off several times before staying light.

- Kc, MO, USA

Apr 082014

Grand Marquis

I have escaped quite a few accidents on my way home. With the new time change, I leave work right at dusk. The lights will not come on. I live way out in the country and have to drive 15 miles out. I have to switch to my high beam when a car is coming my way, and I blind it and other cars as well. I am soooo tired of this. I am going to cause a terrible accident !!!! I took my recall letter to the Ford car dealership here in town months and months ago. I keep calling for an update, and they say that the part has not come in. What can I do?

- Kingsville, TX, USA

Grand Marquis

My lights will not come on they just switch off sometimes. I have the hold the brights just for the lighting to get home...

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Grand Marquis

TL- the contact stated 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that NHTSA action number: PE08066 (exterior lighting) had exceeded the reasonable amount of time for repair. The dealer stated the part was not available. The manufacturer was not made aware of the delay. The vehicle was not repair. The contact had mention he had experienced the failure on multiple occasion. He stated while driving at various speeds spontaneously both front and rear tail lights fail to illuminate. The failure mileage was approximately 120,000.

- Mount Sterling, KY, USA

Sep 032014

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that the headlights failed. The contact mentioned that both. The low and high beam lights failed to illuminate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the lighting control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 69,000.

- Fenton, MO, USA

Sep 012014

Grand Marquis

2004 Mercury Grand Marquis. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle headlights turn off randomly and consumer unable to turn them back on. The consumer stated the part needed, was on a 3 month back order.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jul 292014

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

Headlights randomly turn off while driving. Ford states this is not a safety issues, it is! can't be driving without headlights; can cause accidents, tickets, failure to pass state inspections, etc. Ford has issued customer relationship campain 14N01, but the part to fix this problem is on back order, and they are unable or unwilling to give any time frame on when part witll be available.

- Enfield, CT, USA

Jul 252014

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

1st incident: Headlights went off about 2 minutes after starting car and beginning to drive. Would not turn on again while driving or when car was stopped and running. Turned off car and tried again. Headlights worked for about 30 seconds. Continuing this pattern after 2 weeks. Headlights do come on when high beam 'flash' lever is held in on position.. have not tested how long they will stay on.

- Olympia, WA, USA

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that the headlights failed to illuminate. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 95,203.

- Cohoes , NY, USA

Jul 172014

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

Our headlights just stopped working. You cant turn them on and the only way you can turn the headlights on is to push the stick forward and hold it forward while you are driving down the road. Other than that, they wont come on. All other lights are operating fine.

- Damascus, MD, USA

Jul 182014

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

Both headlights suddenly wouldn't turn on. Very dangerous. Night driving prohibited. Ford has agreed to repair due to voluntary recall. Glad this didn't happen when I was out at night. I live near dark dangerous highways and this could have led to fatal driving conditions had it happened on the road at night.this shouldn't be a "voluntary" recall where you have to call Ford to get the fix.

- Covington , LA, USA

Jul 192014

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

Headlights would not light had to hold the dimmer switch to flash. What is the potential cost of a fatality due to the headlights going out while driving down the road" wakeup Ford.... don't you see the big picture or are your lights out too"!!!!

- Moravia, NY, USA

Jul 092014

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

While my wife was driving home at night, her headlights went out on her 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis. She tried all combinations to get the lights back on and had to hold the high beam passing light up while driving the rest of the way home. I took the car to the local Ford dealer to get it repaired and they told me it could take a month or more to get the part to fix it. In our area, thunderstorms come up regularly during the day, so the car can't even be driven during the day. Ford Motor Company says that they can't provide a loaner or a rental so that we can drive safely until it is fixed. I don't understand why headlights going out is not a safety issue.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Jun 022014

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that the headlights would not illuminate when turned on manually or when turned on by the automatic sensor. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The manufacturer was aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 144,000.

- Westland, MI, USA

Feb 092014

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

My light control module has been determined by the local dealer to be defective. I've been told it is on back order w/ no eta. I've since been told the NHTSA has inexplicably found this to "not be a safety issue". I'm wondering on what planet the NHTSA drives that having intermittently working headlights is not a safety issue? I am expecting a more definitive and timely response to having my car repaired.

- Sault Ste. Marie, MI, USA

Feb 012013

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that the low beam headlights would flicker on and off while activated. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the lighting control module was replaced however, the failure recurred randomly. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 54,000.

- Austin, TX, USA