2004 Mercury Grand Marquis lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis:

2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Owner Comments (Page 5 of 8)

Sep 182013

Grand Marquis 6-cyl

Was driving down busy highway lights just went out happened to be church drive ahead and pulled in off highway, the lights has went out about 5 more times since then. Checked on internet, and found a lot more with same problem, something has to be done about this before some one is killed.

- Bankston, AL, USA

Aug 162013

Grand Marquis

While driving home with my wife and granddaughter my wipers started to go on in delay mood and my lights turned on.I was shocked at this because my wiper switch was in the off setting and my light switch was in auto setting and it was a bright sunny day.after about ten or 15 minutes the wipers stopped and lights went out.a few day later I was going to the store and it started all over wipers staying on in the delay mood and this time did not stop.I call my brother in Florida whom is a auto tech and he told me that it seemed like the multifuction switch and told me to change it out which I did.it did not resolve the issue and the car remains down due to this issue.there is only 42300 on this car which my father gave me as a gift and he bought it new from leominster Lincoln mecury and I feel this issue is a safety problem which could lead to complete wiper failing or worse a car fire from some defective system that controls this wiper system.car remains down as of the writing of this report.due to myself being disabled and on S/S disability I do not have the money to fix this problem because I feel a dealer service tech should take this issue from here.I have disconected the battey and the car now sits in my driveway.

- Leominster, MA, USA

May 152013

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the headlights failed. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis but the contact decided not to have the diagnostic performed. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis where the contact was informed that the relay box was the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and current mileage was 30,000.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Feb 012013

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that while traveling at various speeds, the headlights intermittently failed. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was determined that the lighting module had failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 86,000.

- Topeka, KS, USA

Jun 242013

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

Vehicle headlights went out at highway speeds with no apparent warning. Pulled over and examined lights, only fog lights working. Turned off vehicle and restarted, lights worked. Sporadic lights working, then not working. Able to manually pull and hold dimmer switch to activate bright lights. After researching this problem on the internet I have discovered the problem is the same all across the country in the 2003-05 Mercury Grand Marquis. The lighting control module (lcm) is problematic and poses a safety concern for many owners. Ford charges $700-800 to replace this module when I and many of the internet () owners feel a recall is a valid request.

- Pillager, MN, USA

Jul 012013

Grand Marquis

Headlights do not turn on, internet reports light control unit fails this is a major safety issue.

- Whitinsville, MA, USA

May 132013

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2004 Mercury gran marquis. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the headlights failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection, who stated the headlight control module would require replacing. The headlight control module was replaced. The failure was reported to the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 92,000. The current mileage was 92,100.

- Mt Prospect , IL, USA

May 302013

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that the headlights failed. The headlights stayed on if the high beams were activated. The contact changed the fuses and the light bulbs but the failure continued. The vehicle had not been to the dealer. The failure and current mileages were 81,000.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Mar 152013

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

While driving home approx 10:30 pm my headlamps flicked on & of then went out totally and will not come back on, obviously a serious safety issue !

- Winter Springs, FL, USA

Nov 092012

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

Driving home in the evening on a rural 2 lane highway in Ms. And my headlights goes off. No warning just went out. Tried to manually turn them on, but nothing happened. This incident could have turned out very different, if I wasn't familiar with the area...this problem seems to be bigger than just me...there was an investigation by your Agency NHTSA action #: PE08066, 11/26/08 to 3/24/09. This investigation was closed with basically no action taken at all. Just because nobody has died, or been reported injured, doesn't mean this issue is not a safety issue.

- Flora, MS, USA

Dec 312012

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis. While driving approximately 50 mph, the headlights suddenly failed. The headlights became operable within ten minutes. The malfunction occurred four times. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer twice for the same failure. The second time a diagnostic test was performed, the technician stated the computer chip needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000..... updated 03-28-13 the consumer stated at no time when the lights went off did an indicator on the dash board come on. The dealer advised the lighting control module needed to be replaced. Updated 04/09/2013

- Springfield, VA, USA

Jan 162013

Grand Marquis

Headlights go off unexpectedly while driving at night. Experimenting found that high beam (unsafe when driving on 2 way road) may be kept on by holding the turn signal lever in the up position (thus occupying the left hand while driving) internet search indicates that this is a fairly common problem with this make and model, and that replacement of the light control module is expensive ($700 - $900) and not always a long term fix. Should be a Ford recall item.

- Springfield, MO, USA

Sep 102012

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that the high and low beam headlights became overheated and failed. The vehicle was not taken to a mechanic and was not repaired. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was 125,000.

- Summertown, TN, USA

Nov 142012

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph with the headlights activated, there was a sudden failure in the headlight illumination. The contact continued to drive and within several minutes, the headlights operated normally. An authorized dealer was notified of the failure and informed the contact that the headlight control module would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was also notified of the malfunction. The vehicle had not been repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 62,000.

- Lehnorh, TX, USA

Jun 042012

Grand Marquis

The headlights go and intermittently. They come on initially but only say on, on average, for about 5-10 minutes and will stay off for about 3-4 minutes. The headlight switch has been replaced but the problem is still occurring. No other mechanical work has been done since replacing the switch.

- Waco, TX, USA

Sep 142012

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that the head lights failed. The contact attempted to turn them back on but to no avail. The contact allowed the vehicle to sit inoperable for several hours, in which the headlights then became operable. The vehicle was taken not taken to a dealer or a mechanic for inspection. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 75,000.

- Antario, CA, USA

Jul 282012

Grand Marquis

My mother-in-law has a 2004 Grand Marquis & last night when she started the car to go home after visiting us, the headlights would not come on at all....additionally, the interior lights have come on all by themselves intermittently, and consequently, the battery is drained each time it happens. The interior problem may or may not fix itself by starting/shutting off/opening/closing door. All I did was type "2004 Mercury Grand Marquis" in yahoo search & a multitude of similar problems came up in the results: All stating a defective light control module (lcm). I am going to take the one out of her car today & take it apart & inspect it for cracked ("cold solder") solder joints as almost anything with a pc board ( (made in the last 25 years especially) tends to develop cracked solder because they are made cheaply by using as little solder possible to hold the joint together (when new, anyways). Yet another cheap, modern junk electronic item pumped out in bulk by the thousands that the manufacturer will not support, unless it fails within the warranty period! I cannot believe Ford Motor Company won't issue a recall for this problem as it is not an isolated problem, according to my research! maybe once someone dies in a car wreck from the lights going out while they're going down a freeway @ 70mph, someone will get a good lawyer and sue the pants off of Ford Motor Company!! class action lawsuit, anybody?

- Elizabethton, TN, USA

Jul 112012

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that illuminated sporadically without warning. The vehicle was taken to a local repair shop, who diagnosed that the lighting control module was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 86,500 and the current mileage was 87,000.

- Paw Paw , MI, USA

Dec 092011

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

On three or four occasions over a month or so, my headlights, which I turned on manually, went out while I was driving. The last time it occurred, I was on a dark, unlit, two-lane road and thought I would not get home alive. I pulled over, turned off the engine, turned on my emergency flashers and interior lights so that other vehicles would see me. When the road was clear, I started the car again, turned on the headlamps and proceeded to continue my ride home. The lights again went out and I repeated the process until I was home safely. After that, I drove only during daylight. I went to a spartan auto care center and after a diagnostic scan, was told that I needed to replace the head light control module. I was told that this was a common problem with the Grand Marquis. I elected to take it to a Ford dealer when I finally could afford to repair it. The dealer replaced the head light control module on March 30, 2012 at a cost of $760.43. I have seen a litany of complaints from other owners, so this is not an isolated problem. I think this is a dangerous defect and we should be reimbursed for the expense involved.

- East Longmeadow, MA, USA

Apr 162012

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that the headlight could not be turned off and sporadically, the headlight would not illuminate. The battery had to be disconnected in order to turn the headlights off. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer nor repaired. The failure mileage was not available and the current mileage was 54.095.

- Foley , AL, USA