2005 Mercury Grand Marquis electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis:

2005 Mercury Grand Marquis Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Feb 032014

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

I drive on the highway from to work. During the winter months, it is dark at 6 am. This morning, as I usually do, the light switch was on and it was on low beams. Suddenly, the headlights went out. I pulled over and stopped. The side markers and the parking lights were on. I sat for a few minutes to decide how to get home with no lights. Then the headlights came back on. I took a chance, they remained on, that day. It would occur periodically then daily, sometimes two (2) to three (3) times on the drive to work.

- Eagle, WI, USA

Nov 282013

Grand Marquis

The headlights turn off randomly. The running lights stay on but the normal headlights will go off randomly and then come back on several to tens of minutes later. I can hear a clicking sound when the lights do go off and back on. When the lights do go off, I can hold the high beams on if I hold the stick toward me. Sometimes initiating a turn signal will cause the headlights to come back on.

- North Rose, NY, USA

Dec 302013

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

While driving the vehicle, suddenly the headlights went out. I parked for a while, then I turned it on and the lights came on. Now the lights go off sometimes, while driving, and I have to hold the lever back towards me, to have the high beams on until I reach my destination. This is very unsafe. I don't really drive as much at nite, and I come home early, before it is dark. Thank you.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Feb 042014

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

Similar to events as published in NHTSA action number PE08066, I was driving on the interstate at night and the headlights suddenly went dark. No warning, just went out. Pulled off onto shoulder and could not avoid sliding off the road - very dangerous. Finally figured out if you pull the turn signal lever all the way towards you it will turn the bright headlights on, but you have to hold it on position.. if you let go the headlights go back out. The problem is intermittent and appears without warning. 1000's of complaints about this same issue all over the internet - so I can't believe the Agency closed the original investigation"? what could be more dangerous than losing your headlights at night?" there should be an immediate recall from Ford Motor Co. On this issue! my local Ford dealer and communications to Ford Motor Co. Have produced no help. This is approximately a $700 repair at the dealership for a proven defective "lighting control module". this is a "safety-related" issue if there ever was one!

- Jasper, GA, USA

Oct 042011

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that the climate control dial failed and as a result he was unable to adjust the temperature in the vehicle and the direction he wanted the air to be directed too. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the heater box needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 39,000 and the current mileage was 58,000...updated 02-28-14 updated 03/14/2014

- Glenham, NY, USA

Nov 292013

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

The low beam headlights failed while driving at various speeds without warning. I was forced to drive with the high beams illuminated. This happens very frequently. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. I called the dealer. They said it was not covered under warranty. He said the part would be about $600, and with labor all cost would run about $800!the vehicle was not repaired the current mileage was 71,100. Remanufactured lcm is about $300 or new about $500 from an independent auto parts store.

- Collierville, TN, USA

Oct 282013

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

Lights went off while driving at night.

- Downers Grove, IL, USA

Jul 232012

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

Head lamps go out or fail to come on.

- Harrisburg, NC, USA

May 222013

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

I was returning home with my wife from a trip to charleston, SC, at about 10:00 pm, driving at 60 mph, when my headlights suddenly shut off. That happens in the vicinity of awendaw and there are no street lights in the area. Both my wife and I screamed in panic while I was trying to slow down the car and staying in my lane on the highway. I was thankful that the turn signals, marker lights and brake lights still worked, so any other cars would be able to see me. When I finally pulled up the side of the road without any mishaps, I inspected the car and found out that all the fuses were good. I then restarted the car and still did not get my headlights to come on. I played with the turn signal/ low beam/high beam lever and got the flashing high beam position to work, so I drove home to myrtle beach holding the flashing high beam lever up to light my way. Otherwise, I would have to hire a taxi, spend the night in the nearest hotel to wait for daylight to resume my trip home. Apparently, the problem with the headlights shutting off without warning while driving at night comes from the lighting control module installed the 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis that malfunctions when the cars reached an average mileage of 69,000 miles (some as early as 30,000 miles, up to 114,000 miles documented).

- Myrtle Beach, SC, USA

Feb 282013

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

While driving at night, my headlights without warning, extinguished. I turned the 'high beams' on and they also failed to light. I stopped and after a few minutes, the lights came back on. I searched the internet and found that many Ford Crown Victoria / Mercury Grand Marquis (multiple model year) automobiles are suffering from the same problem. It is apparently a failure in the 'lighting control module' (lcm). There are many web sites that offer re-manufactured lcm's but I question why this is not a safety recall? I think that losing your headlights while driving at night would somehow qualify as a safety hazard and this should be the manufacturer's responsibility to fix this problem.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Mar 082013

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

We had just left a funeral home and driving back home on a 4 lane road. We turned to avoid getting on the highway immediately and decided to take another route. As we were heading up this 2 lane road that was dark all of a sudden our headlights and instrument panel lights went out and cars coming at us were flashing their lights. I slowed down and was able to pull over to a side street. Sat there trying to determine why the lights were out. Turned the switch from the on position to the automatic position and the lights came back on. We drove all the way home on back roads to avoid getting on the interstate, not knowing if the lights would go out or not. Read the manual to see if we had missed anything and then got on the internet and saw the hundreds of people having the same thing happen to them. I will contact the dealer and see about fixing it but from what I have read, the light control module is bad and so are the replacements. I am hopeful that there is a newer improved model that is now being used. Thank god we were not on the highway or we could have been killed. This is a serious problem.

- Kirkwood , MO, USA

Feb 092013

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that while traveling 70 mph the head lights failed without warning. The contact had to use the hazard lights for illumination of the roadway. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The contact stated that he was a certified mechanic and believed that the lighting control module was the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 71,000.

- Parma, MI, USA

Aug 302012

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

While driving my 2005, Mercury, Grand Marquis, at night, the headlights completely went out on me...making visibility impossible...after much research on this problem, I find that alot of people are complaining of the very same problem with their Mercury, Grand Marquis...after reading of all the complaints about this problem, I wonder why this has not been on the recall list......this is a severe safety issue!!! thank you for your prompt attention in this matter.

- Walton, NY, USA

Feb 062012

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

Description of the complaint: Lcm known defect: Both headlights failed, in both dim and high-beam positions. They will not come on in either the automatic or manual dashboard switch positions. (the bulbs are still good.) the parking lights, turn signals, tail lights, and brake lights continued to function. This happened at night. It should be obvious that this failure will *always* occur at night, or during stormy weather, threatening safety, because headlights are not normally used during the daytime. Later testing revealed the problem to be intermittent. At one point, the automatic dashboard switch position worked for both dim and high-beams, but the manual switch position did not work. The next morning, both the automatic and manual positions worked. When the problem first occurred, neither position would work. This intermittent problem is consistent with a large number of complaints and reports for the 2003-2005 model years, and the problem is the lighting control module. This module is so unreliable that it has been named the "lights out module" on the internet. A sampling of complaints can be found at these web sites: This is a *safety* issue. Lives are at stake. Please force a recall to correct this problem before innocent people are killed. Although the parking lights and tail lights continued to work, so other drivers can see the car with the failed headlights, the driver of the car with the failed headlights *cannot* see where he is going!! he could run into a parked car, hit a pedestrian, hit a bicyclist, hit a tree or other obstruction, etc. This is a very dangerous situation!

- Port Charlotte, FL, USA

Jul 212010

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

Headlights stopped working. Entire lighting control model had to be replaced. The cost of the work at the dealer was $708.47.

- Owings Mills, MD, USA

Mar 102009

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

While traveling at night on the interstate, the head lights on our 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis quit working and we had to pull over in the emergency stopping lane. All hazard, marker lights and dash lights continued to work. After spending a few minutes on the side of the road, the head lights began to work again and we made it to our destination. I thought I might have touched something wrong at the time as I do not drive this car very often (or that maybe too much light had flashed on the light sensor on the dash and made them go out.) this is my wife's car and she uses it mostly during daytime. The car is not driven very often at night and so it was a quite a while before this happen again. It is now happening more often and after talking to others, it appears that this is much more common on Grand Marquis, crown vics, and towncars than I would have ever thought. I believe that this is a design defect of Ford's lighting control module (lcm) part# 7Z-13C788-aa and Ford should have recalled and replaced these defective lcm's long before now. We have never been contacted by Ford about a recall and I could not find any information about a lcm recall on Ford's or any other website. Since it looks like Ford is not interested in my safety, I have placed an order to purchase Ford's improved replacement lcm for my car. I really don't think I should have had to pay for this item to replace their obvious defective component. If Ford didn't think they had a defective product, they would not have made several improvements on their lcm and re-classified it as 7Z-13C788-ac instead of -aa.

- Winter Haven, FL, USA

Oct 192011

Grand Marquis

While driving at night the headlights will go out and would not come back on for a few min. Then they will work for a little while and go out again. This is very dangerous when the headlights go out in the dark or during rainstorms.

- Ocean Springs , MS, USA

May 262012

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

I was driving home and my headlights cut off with no warning at night, they came on again for a min., but cut off this has happened 4 times since. I have to hold my bright switch down for a 30 min drive home. I have had a fuses checked, after looking on line it looks like several people have had this same issue, this is scary, considering I have 3 children.

- Conyers, GA, USA

Mar 242012

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

At approximately 11:00 pm on 3/24/12, I suddenly lost my headlights as I was driving South through North Carolina on interstate-95. I pulled into a rest area, and after a few minutes, my headlights came back on when I restarted the car. I drove for a few more hours without further incident. At approximately 8:00 pm on 3/25/12, I lost my headlights again while driving through Florida. Fortunately, I was only a few miles away from my motel when the incident occurred. The next morning, 3/26/12, I took my car to an independently-owned garage, and the mechanic diagnosed the problem as a defective light control module. He was able to obtain a new module from a nearby Ford dealership and successfully install the module into my car. There is no question the light control module was defective because the mechanic was unable to restore my headlights by first trying to replace the headlight switch or the headlight dimmer switch. What's more, he was unable to get the defective light control module to respond to an external computer command. The repair cost $816.77. I was concerned that I suddenly lost my headlights while driving on a busy interstate highway, but even more concerned when I heard a parts specialist at the Ford dealership that provided my new replacement light control module claim his dealership was replacing an average of three of these modules weekly on Ford Crown Victoria patrol cars being driven by local police. The idea of policeman losing their headlights during high speed pursuits at night made me very concerned. My concern was heightened when I started investigating the matter on the internet and read many stories similar to mine. A number of these stories suggested that Ford has known about these defective light control modules for quite some time and that a recall has long been in order. Thank you for your attention to this serious matter.

- Hallstead, PA, USA

Mar 282012

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

Headlight failure while driving at night.

- New Bern, NC, USA