2005 Mercury Grand Marquis lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis:

2005 Mercury Grand Marquis Owner Comments (Page 4 of 11)

Nov 282013

Grand Marquis

The headlights turn off randomly. The running lights stay on but the normal headlights will go off randomly and then come back on several to tens of minutes later. I can hear a clicking sound when the lights do go off and back on. When the lights do go off, I can hold the high beams on if I hold the stick toward me. Sometimes initiating a turn signal will cause the headlights to come back on.

- North Rose, NY, USA

Dec 302013

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

While driving the vehicle, suddenly the headlights went out. I parked for a while, then I turned it on and the lights came on. Now the lights go off sometimes, while driving, and I have to hold the lever back towards me, to have the high beams on until I reach my destination. This is very unsafe. I don't really drive as much at nite, and I come home early, before it is dark. Thank you.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Feb 042014

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

Similar to events as published in NHTSA action number PE08066, I was driving on the interstate at night and the headlights suddenly went dark. No warning, just went out. Pulled off onto shoulder and could not avoid sliding off the road - very dangerous. Finally figured out if you pull the turn signal lever all the way towards you it will turn the bright headlights on, but you have to hold it on position.. if you let go the headlights go back out. The problem is intermittent and appears without warning. 1000's of complaints about this same issue all over the internet - so I can't believe the Agency closed the original investigation"? what could be more dangerous than losing your headlights at night?" there should be an immediate recall from Ford Motor Co. On this issue! my local Ford dealer and communications to Ford Motor Co. Have produced no help. This is approximately a $700 repair at the dealership for a proven defective "lighting control module". this is a "safety-related" issue if there ever was one!

- Jasper, GA, USA

Dec 272013

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

I had just got back on I-75 North, when both headlights went out at once! half an hour later they came back on! since then, the last 2 weeks it has happened 3 times, until tonight when it happened 3 times in less than a 10 mile radius. When this happens, the parking lights and rear lights are on. The high beams will only work if you hold the flashing unit. I talked to the dealership today about it, and he said it sounds like my light module, which runs about $700! that does not even include if I want them to do a diagnostic test on them! this is extremely dangerous, especially at high speeds! not even counting the numerous times I get flashed, as if I don't all ready know my headlights are out!

- Taylor, MI, USA

Oct 312013

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, both headlights failed to illuminate without warning. The contact mentioned that the high beam headlight was not functioning and the flash mode had to be engaged in order for the contact to view the roadway. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for inspection where the contact was informed that the lighting control module was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 140,000.

- Elk River , MN, USA

Apr 152013

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that the lights intermittently turned on and off. The contact took his vehicle to an independent mechanic where they replaced the lcm light control module. The manufacture was notified and stated that there was no recall for the make and model. The contact also stated while driving the cruise control suddenly malfunctioned spontaneously. The contact again took to vehicle to a Ford dealer were they stated there was nothing wrong with the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacture again stated no there were no related recalls for his year, make and model vehicle. The approximate failure mileage was 15,000 miles.

- Elgin, IL, USA

Feb 132013

Grand Marquis

I was driving down the highway when my lights suddenly went out not coming back on.

- Gresham, SC, USA

Aug 012013

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

At any given time the lights just go out and I can only see by manually using the high beam lights. The lights will come on for a few moments then out they go again. You can hear a clicking sound when it is goes out and back on. This is extremely dangerous especially since I have 3 children in my vehicle and any given time.

- Oak Forest, IL, USA

Sep 172013

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

The headlights on the vehicle went out while driving on the highway. Parking lights stayed on and flashers worked allowing to get the car to the break down line. This has happen about 8-10 times since the first. In checking for a fix, I found there are a number of companies offering a repair solution and this looks like a common and dangerous problem that occurs often. I noticed this has been investigated before but nothing done. Having your headlights go out seems dangerous enough to me. The repair part to do it yourself is sold for about $10. $125 + to purchase a repaired lighting control module. My Ford dealer will replace the lcm for $650.

- Hadley, MA, USA

Dec 192013

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

While driving with headlights on at night the headlights turn off. After stopping and turning car off and restarting engine the headlights eventually start working again. Happened multiple times the same night.

- Leonardtown, MD, USA

Nov 292013

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

The low beam headlights failed while driving at various speeds without warning. I was forced to drive with the high beams illuminated. This happens very frequently. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. I called the dealer. They said it was not covered under warranty. He said the part would be about $600, and with labor all cost would run about $800!the vehicle was not repaired the current mileage was 71,100. Remanufactured lcm is about $300 or new about $500 from an independent auto parts store.

- Collierville, TN, USA

Nov 062013

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the low beam headlights failed to illuminate without warning. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where headlight module was replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 94,000....updated 12-30-13 updated 1/22/2014

- Panama City, FL, USA

Nov 132013

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis. While driving 55 mph, the contact heard a clicking noise as the headlights failed. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for inspection. The contact was informed that the lighting control module was defective. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the incident. The approximate failure mileage was 66,000.

- Holland , MI, USA

Apr 102013

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that the low beam headlights failed while driving at various speeds without warning. The contact was forced to drive with the high beams illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 59,000 and the current mileage was 70,000.

- Waco, TX, USA

Nov 162013

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

My wife drove the car a few miles, after dark, at night. The headlights were functioning fine. They made a brief stop and when they drove the car off and out of the lit parking lot, they discovered that the headlights would not come on in automatic mode or manual mode. The park lights worked and also the dash lights worked. It was not till they ran out of street lights before they discovered they had a problem. I got online and discovered that this is a common problem with Ford products of that model. It is a poor design and if the headlights go off at highway speeds, it could be dangerous. The part that usually fails is a dealer item that list for over $500. Ford has upgraded the new part, so they know that there is a problem.

- Texarkana, TX, USA

Sep 012013

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that the low beam headlights failed while driving. The contact was forced to drive with the high beams illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 54,000. Updated 02/11/14 the control module was replaced. Updated 02/20/14

- Hometown , IL, USA

Oct 282013

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

Lights went off while driving at night.

- Downers Grove, IL, USA

Aug 062013

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the headlights failed suddenly. The dealer was contacted, who advised the contact that the headlight module possibly needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 41,000 and the current mileage was 42,105. Updated 12/4/13

- South Hampton , NJ, USA

Oct 012013

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated the headlights would fail to illuminate intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis. The mechanic stated the lighting control module would have to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 52,900.

- Edison, FL, USA

Jul 022012

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

While driving on the Massachusetts turnpike at night the headlights shut off with no warning, notice or anything. Never had this happen before. Scared us to death!!! we immediately turned the signal to pull over to the shoulder and then they came back on. About 2 minutes later they went off again. My boyfriend pulled over to the shoulder and turned on the hazard lights and shut the car off. We then turned the car back on and had no headlights, just marker lights. But, if you held the stick for the high beams you could use those. Then the lights miraculously clicked on and stayed on for the rest of the way home. This has been a continuous problem. After much research I have found out it is the lighting control module. Approximately a $650 part and about $200 for labor. I contacted Ford Motor Company and they do not feel that this is a safety issue and are going to do nothing about it!!! really!!!! I am part of a website and I get numerous emails for people that have the same problem. I am afraid to drive at night because I never know when the lights will work or not. I don't want to blind people driving behind them and it just really sucks that Ford does not think that driving down the road at night with no headlights is not a safety concern.... why doesn't the Ford executive try driving home in the dark with my car and see how he likes it. Then we will see if it is a safety issue or not, huh??

- Pittsfield, MA, USA