2005 Mercury Grand Marquis lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis:

2005 Mercury Grand Marquis Owner Comments (Page 7 of 11)

May 152005

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis. While parked, the headlights failed to illuminate. The failure recurred intermittently. The warning flashers were the only lights on the exterior of the vehicle that functioned when the headlights were inoperable. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing however, the technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 52...updated 10/03/12 the consumer stated at approximately 70,000 miles the headlights began failing when driving at night, without warning. Occasionally, turn the engine off then on, or turning on the wipers would turn the lights on. Updated 10/09/2012

- New Bloomfield, MO, USA

Jul 212010

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

Headlights stopped working. Entire lighting control model had to be replaced. The cost of the work at the dealer was $708.47.

- Owings Mills, MD, USA

Aug 142012

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that while driving the headlights failed. The contact turned the lights on and the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the light module and the icm needed to repair. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 82,864. Updated 10/10/12 updated 10/17/12

- Thorsby, AL, USA

Aug 182012

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

Driving down the road, the headlights went out. Hasn't worked automatically or manually since. The high beam lights would not work either unless I held it in the position that I would normally just push for it to stay on. In process of taking car to dealer. I have had the car for one year in July. Hope Ford pays for this because it must be a factory defect. I see that many other people have or have had the same problem.

- North Charleston, SC, USA

Aug 182011

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that the headlights failed. The contact tried to engage the switch multiple times but to no avail. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they stated that the light control module was malfunctioning and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 85,000.

- Lafayette, GA, USA

Jul 202012

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the headlights and high beam headlights stopped illuminating. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and the headlight control module was replaced. The failure continued intermittently. The manufacturer offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 45,726.

- Brunswick, OH, USA

Jul 252012

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

Was coming home in pitch dark and the headlights just went and I run off the road, a good thing there was not tree there. Then on the internet I found out this is a common problem for this vehicle, I do not know why something has not been done about it.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jul 062010

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that the headlights and tail lights were inoperable while driving at various speeds. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who inspected the failure and stated that the headlight control module failed and needed to be replaced. Neither the dealer nor the manufacturer were notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage was 80,000.

- Stillwater, OK, USA

Oct 192011

Grand Marquis

While driving at night the headlights will go out and would not come back on for a few min. Then they will work for a little while and go out again. This is very dangerous when the headlights go out in the dark or during rainstorms.

- Ocean Springs , MS, USA

May 012012

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that while his instrument panel showed that the headlights were activated, the lights were not illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer however the problem could not be replicated. The dealer did suggest that the module was faulty and that the contact could reach under the dashboard and tap it, and the lights would illuminate. The contact did not feel the remedy was reasonable or safe. The manufacturer was notified of the issued however, offered no assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 60,000. Updated 08/01/12 updated 08/01/12

- Tamarac, FL, USA

Mar 212012

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, he was pulled over by a police officer and informed that the headlights were not illuminated. The contact stated that the headlight switch indicated that the headlights were illuminated when the failure occurred. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and the contact was informed that the headlight module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified and offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Tamarac, FL, USA

Jun 042012

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that while parked, the headlights would not illuminate. The contact was able to activate the high beam headlights by holding the turn signal bar. The low beam headlights illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for a diagnostic test. The mechanic stated that the headlight control module would have to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 72,800.

- North Patchogue, NY, USA

Oct 012011

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

In October 2011, I was driving at night when my headlights went off. I pulled into a parking lot to investigate the problem. I got out and took a walk around the car and all the lights were working except the headlights. I turned the lights switch off for a few minutes and the lights came back on. The problem worsened and I found that I could hold the "momentary" high beam switch on and the headlights would work -- as long as I held the switch in the high beam position. The situation worsened, and now the headlights will not come on for any length of time. The problem has escalated from October 2011 until late May 2012. If I need to drive the car at night, I must hold the "momentary" high beam switch while I drive. Once in a while you can see the headlights come on because the lights get extremely bright. Then I can release the "momentary" high beam switch. The lights will only stay on for about 10 seconds and then go back off. My mechanic told me that many Mercury Grand Marquis and Ford Crown Victoria's around the model year of my car have this problem. He has traced the problem to something called the lighting control module. It seems to me that this is an engineering problem. Ford wants $600 just for the part. If you search the internet for similar problems, you will find an abundance of very similar situations as I have described to you. Not everyone is reporting this problem. Please help! updated 08/20/12

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Feb 012012

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that the head lamps would fail sporadically. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 70,000 and the current mileage was 74,000.

- Williston , SC, USA

May 262012

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

I was driving home and my headlights cut off with no warning at night, they came on again for a min., but cut off this has happened 4 times since. I have to hold my bright switch down for a 30 min drive home. I have had a fuses checked, after looking on line it looks like several people have had this same issue, this is scary, considering I have 3 children.

- Conyers, GA, USA

Dec 062011

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

Let me start by saying this is a safety risk that could lead to loss of life. While driving at night, headlights went out. Instrument illumination stayed on. Headlight switch was cycled and the headlights cam back on. They turned off minutes later. After pulling over and cycling the bright lights and the headlamp switch, it was determined that driving with the signal light pulled back into bright-flash position was the only way to drive. This was after several pull-off-the-road events. We took the vehicle to the mechanic, who determined the headlight switch to be bad. $300 afterwards, the intermittent symptoms went away. However, the headlights never illuminated. From 12/11 through 5/12, the vehicle was driven only during the day -- occasionally at night, but with the turn signal pulled back to highbeam flash. After reviewing many internet posts, I discovered the light control module (lcm) was the suspect component. The dealership price for this component, as of 5/12, is $521.67. I removed the lcm and opened it to inspect. After nothing was found (burned components, cold solder joints, etc.), I reassembled and reinstalled it. After an operational check to see if reseating the connectors fix it, I discovered the headlight system fully functional. We'll see if the problem repeats itself. This problem was reported an many internet repair posts for 2003-2005 Ford crown vics and Grand Marquis.

- Allen, TX, USA

Dec 062011

- Allen, TX, USA

Apr 232012

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that the headlights went out while driving approximately 35 mph. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for a diagnostic test. The mechanic stated that the headlight switch would have to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the part was not in stock. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 38,000. Updated 07/19/12 updated 07/25/12

- Muskego, WI, USA

Apr 142012

Grand Marquis

I was driving around 11 pm on April 15, 2012 when headlights failed to remain illuminated. Blindly swerved off road onto grass. Shut car off and restarted. Headlights failed to engage. Drove remaining duration of trip with high beams engaged. This is the third occurrence in two weeks. The first two occurrences were at around 15 miles per hour. The third instance almost resulted in an accident.

- Jenkintown, PA, USA

Mar 242012

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

At approximately 11:00 pm on 3/24/12, I suddenly lost my headlights as I was driving South through North Carolina on interstate-95. I pulled into a rest area, and after a few minutes, my headlights came back on when I restarted the car. I drove for a few more hours without further incident. At approximately 8:00 pm on 3/25/12, I lost my headlights again while driving through Florida. Fortunately, I was only a few miles away from my motel when the incident occurred. The next morning, 3/26/12, I took my car to an independently-owned garage, and the mechanic diagnosed the problem as a defective light control module. He was able to obtain a new module from a nearby Ford dealership and successfully install the module into my car. There is no question the light control module was defective because the mechanic was unable to restore my headlights by first trying to replace the headlight switch or the headlight dimmer switch. What's more, he was unable to get the defective light control module to respond to an external computer command. The repair cost $816.77. I was concerned that I suddenly lost my headlights while driving on a busy interstate highway, but even more concerned when I heard a parts specialist at the Ford dealership that provided my new replacement light control module claim his dealership was replacing an average of three of these modules weekly on Ford Crown Victoria patrol cars being driven by local police. The idea of policeman losing their headlights during high speed pursuits at night made me very concerned. My concern was heightened when I started investigating the matter on the internet and read many stories similar to mine. A number of these stories suggested that Ford has known about these defective light control modules for quite some time and that a recall has long been in order. Thank you for your attention to this serious matter.

- Hallstead, PA, USA