2006 Mercury Grand Marquis accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Mercury Grand Marquis:

2006 Mercury Grand Marquis Owner Comments

Jan 142009

Grand Marquis

When parking a newly acquired used 2006 Mercury Grand Marquis at idle speed in a local shopping center, the engine accelerated and the harder I pressed the brake the faster the engine ran. To the extent the traction control activated and the wheels spun in place. The only way I prevented crashing into three parked was to shift the transmission into neutral with the engine racing. What apparently happened was my foot was not centered on the brake pedal and the pedal traveled to the point where I was also pressing on the accelerator. Evidently the travel distance of the brake pedal was so long I pressed on the accelerator pedal at the same time. I took the car to a Mercury dealer and was told this was a common problem, but he could not correct it because the brake and accelerator pedals were operating as designed. The dealers technician reported that my complaint was that the pedals seemed to close together. This may be true, but the problem in my mind is the travel distance of the brake pedal. I was also told Ford has not as yet issued a solution to this safety problem.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA