2006 Mercury Grand Marquis seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Mercury Grand Marquis:

2006 Mercury Grand Marquis Owner Comments

Feb 202014

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

While driving the repeated chiming sound began and a light illuminated on the dash display. This continued as long as the car was being driven. I drove it to a private repair shop that maintains my vehicles. He diagnosed it as the failure of the seat belt pre-tensioner assembly. He called the service manage of one of the local Ford motor service managers, described the problem and the sm agreed that it was the problem. He did the repairs.. cost to me was $539.42.. the repair was done 2/20/2014. In July 2014 the same chiming/light flashing again occurred. Took it back to my repair shop, he again called his friend, the service manager of the same Ford dealership who said this problem had occurred before on other Mercury. This was not the same seat that was repaired the first time. I again paid $539.82. During either the first or second assembly failure my private shop owner contacted the service manager of that Ford dealer and arranged for me to take my Mercury to him, personally, and he had it checked and said that not only was this correctly diagnosed and repairs done but that they had a good many Mercury that had this problem.. he said it was not a recall item. I called the Ford Motor Company, was transferred to "someone" (a female) who said that this problem was not a recall item, denied me any recourse offer and when I stated I intended to contact "someone" else, said that was my privilege. I did not know who else to contact and therefore had to drop the matter. I have not had any further problem with this failure and repair part. Only today did I happen to find this problem offer on my computer. I'm 87 years old and not too computer savvy. I don't know if I can expect a response from you to me but hope my problem would get all the attention possible. Will I be advised of any action taken?.

- Callahan, FL, USA

Sep 062015

Grand Marquis

On September 9, 2015 I purchased a used 2006 Mercury Grand Marquis ls. I was informed that the airbag light was on. I subsequently found that there had been some minor damage to the lower front of the vehicle, not resulting in airbag deployment. In researching the problem and to determine if there had been an airbag recall by the NHTSA, I found that there had been 57 registered complaints on the repair pal website and that a complaint had also been filed with the NHTSA.for this problem and that the problem was a result of defective seat-belt assemblies. There should be a safety recall issued for this problem as it effects the proper functionality of the restraint system in the event of a collision.

- Erwin, NC, USA

Feb 282014

Grand Marquis

In Feb, 2014, I originally had a minor crash when another driver was cited for reckless driving. His insurance paid for my damage. No airbags were deployed on either me, the driver, or my mother, the passenger. We were belted in. Recently, on September 7th, 2015, the airbag warning light and chimes came on when I started the vehicle. The light continues to come on, the chime rings in 3 sets of 5 periodically. The dealer that fixed the original damage, alan jay, ran a $55 diagnostic and stated the passenger seat belt pretensioner was open, and that this could have only occurred in an accident. I asked why the system did not respond the 1 1/2 years earlier when the accident occurred" alan jay did not have an answer, but stated my entire restraint system and airbags would not operate in any future crash, until I replace the passenger seat belt, which will cost $780 alan jay Ford / Mercury said to contact national general insurance because "the pretensioner doesn't just go" that an accident had to have occurred to cause this. National general called me back today and stated this is untrue. There has been multiple complaints on the Mercury Grand Marquis airbag light activating and shutting down the restraint system and turning off the airbags for no cause. They referred me to www.carcomplaints.com, and I filed the 19th complaint for this problem on the 2006 Grand Marquis model. There are also multiple complaints on the same problem with other model years for the Grand Marquis air bag restraint system shutting down. Why has there not been a recall to fix this problem? why don't the Mercury dealers know about this problem? like many others, I am forced to drive my only vehicle in an unsafe condition until I can afford the $780 to fix it"

- Wauchula, FL, USA

Aug 082014

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

2006 Mercury Grand Marquis. The air bag light illuminated. The dealer replaced the seat belt tensioner.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Oct 202014

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2006 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated the air bag warning indicator was illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who stated that the retractor failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Madill , OK, USA

Sep 222014

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

First noticed airbag light began flashing on and off. Within two days the airbag light came on and remained on. Had the dealer check this out. The report came back driver side seat belt was at fault. No repair available must be replaced.

- Beaumont, TX, USA

Sep 262014

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2006 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that the air bag sensor and seat belt sensor illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who diagnosed that the seat belt sensor malfunctioned and the air bag may not deploy. The dealer stated that the seat belt assembly needed to be replaced. However, the repairs could not be performed since the parts were not available. The contact was waiting to schedule NHTSA campaign id number: 14V704000 (steering).the dealer could not provide a specific date when the parts would become available. The manufacturer was contacted and could not provide an estimated date for when the vehicle would receive the recall repairs. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Tybee Island, GA, USA

Oct 272014

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2006 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the seat belt tension needed to be replaced however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Enid , OK, USA

Aug 192013

Grand Marquis

Paint started to peel in the front center of the roof, a small spot. I thought a stone or rock hit it. Then around the sides of the back windshield. This spring the hood started to peel also. First in one spot then in multiple spots. It starts by a bubble, then it pops and peels off in chips, which stick to the windshield at times. Then it starts to peel off in big pieces. At all times it peels down to the bare metal. It definitely appears that the affected areas(parts) are not primed. When driving you can see the paint start to lift off and let go. This problem seems it will not stop until the whole hood and roof are bare. Seat belt light does not go off when buckled. You can attempt to buckle and unbuckle multiple times it works and does not work. Some days there is no problem and other days it is an issue.

- Cohoes, NY, USA

Jul 092014

Grand Marquis

Started car to go to work idling in drive way and I got an air bag light and alarm going off, turned car off and restarted and same thing. Was scared to drive until I talked to mechanic at local dealership. He said the problem is in the seat belt assembly and would have to be replaced.parts about 260 dollars plus labor probably another 200 dollars. Researching air bag light issues for Grand Marquis for fixes for my problem I discovered there are several other owners of same model with same issue. Was wondering if others has reported and if so why has there not been a recall. I love my car otherwise and poor single father raising my children on my own and cannot afford these repairs plus driving a car that the air bags possible wont work on lord forbid we were in an accident.

- Gideon, MO, USA

Jul 192012

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated continuously. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing where the technician confirmed that the failure was contributed to the faulty front driver and passenger side seat belt pretensioner. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,177. Updated 8/28/14 updated 09/11/2014

- Dallas, TX, USA

Sep 252013

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the driver's side air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was stated that the driver's side pretensioner failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 38,000. The consumer was informed a small spring in the seat belt harness broke and the only way to replace it, was to replace the entire seat belt harness. Two months later, the failure happened again. Updated 04/01/14

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

May 122013

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2006 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that the front driver's side seat belt buckle would not latch. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for inspection. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 87,000.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Sep 142012

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2006 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that while parked he noticed the air bag and seat belt warning light illuminate on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated the front passenger side seat belt needed to be replaced. After the repair the contact noticed the air bag and seat belt warning light illuminate again. The vehicle was taken to the dealer a second time. The technician stated the front driver side seat belt would have to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 75,023.

- Spring, TX, USA

Sep 192011

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2006 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that the front airbag symbol illuminated on the instrumental panel. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic and the contact was informed that the front passenger seat belt pretensioner needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired because the necessary parts were on back order. The manufacturer was notified and offered no assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 49,000.

- Pensacola, FL, USA