2006 Mercury Mariner engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Mercury Mariner:

2006 Mercury Mariner Owner Comments

Nov 112015

My Mercury Mariner's idler pulley has already broken three times in the past five months. There must be a recall on this vehicle. The car is very good and too strong for that thin bolt in this part. Luckily, the fourth time it happened, the Ford dealer didn't charge me for the new part, which also broke off two weeks later. It has also broken two belts already. Trying to solve the issue, I went to metric bolts and nuts, in wakefield, MA, and bought a higher grade hardened steel bolt/screw, and it also broke off a week later. Once again, two days ago, my mechanic put in another hardened steel screw. He added a nut near the bearing, which makes a squeaking noise, but it has not broken yet. I am now afraid to drive it far from home, because I have been towed so many times already. I have researched the internet and realized that it is a constant issue. Some people have reported the occurrence of this issue 17 times in less than a year. It is also the same frequent problem with Mazda tribute, Ford escape, Ford Fusion, etc. What does it take for a recall? help! help! help!

- Salem, MA, USA

Mar 292014

Mariner 6-cyl

The truck shuts off when I come to a complete stop. It usually happens when I'm attempting to stop at a yellow light to avoid running the red light. If the truck come from a high rate of speed (45 mph) to (0 mph) it just turn off. I'm afraid someone is going to run into the back of me when the light turn green because the driver expects me to move when the light turn green. I think this is very dangerous for a vehicle to just stop. It has happened about 20 times since 03-29-2014. I was told by two mechanics that it's the torque converter and that there is a recall on the Ford escape for this same problem. I believe the parts are the same for Ford and Mercury and I want it to be known that Mercury vehicles are having the same problem.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Jul 212013

Mariner 6-cyl

While building speed via an on-ramp on ca freeway 680, the transmission began to fail. Within roughly 200 yards, the car lost power and, thankfully, I was able to get my car to the side of the freeway. The first time I was able to get the car to work again, I was only able to drive about 50 yards. I then let the car 'rest' for about 20-30 minutes (while I contact my roadside assistance company). After that amount of time, I tried the car again and was able to drive to the next off-ramp (industrial way, benicia, ca). At the stop sign of that off-ramp, the car failed again and I chose to have it towed instead of continue trying to make it work properly. My Mariner is a 2006 with only 77,541 miles! my car eventually got to a transmission shop to be fixed, but it was in my research of the problem that I found failing/faulty transmissions to be a very common and known issue for Mariners with low mileage (model years of 2005-2011, at least). My complaint is that there should be a recall issued because this is a well known problem.

- Carmel, CA, USA

Jul 192012

I was entering the interstate 430 at the maumelle, Arkansas on ramp and began accelerating to merge with rush hour traffic. I noticed that I had accelerated faster than normal...70 mph. I took my foot off the accelerator to slow down, but I didn't slow down. I thought I must have hit the cruise control button, so I hit the off button and brake and slowed slightly...60mph the cruise control was not on. I let off the brake and car began accelerating back up to 65 mph very quickly. By this time, I was entering the interstate 40 on ramp/crystal hill exit in North little rock, Arkansas. I realized that my brakes were not slowing my SUV and I had to get the car to a stop. I stayed on the crystal hill exit...pushing on brakes as hard as I could. I only slowed to about 40 or 50 mph. I turned my hazard lights and began edging to the shoulder. So still pushing on my brakes, I put the SUV in neutral. I finally stopped about 100 feet from the stop sign at the crystal hill road. When I stopped, I noticed the engine was revving a lot so I put it in park and turned the SUV off. I tried to stay calm for me and my baby since I was 35 weeks pregnant. I was lucky that I didn't have to crash the car to stop it or I didn't go into labor, but putting it in neutral worked. My husband had my SUV towed to crain Ford dealership. They have diagnosed the problem to be the air intake valve and the throttle position sensor. The tow truck driver and the mechanic at the dealership said the SUV was messed and barely got it in the garage to repair which the dealership is working week later. The diagnosis was verbal from the dealership...nothing in writing as of yet.

- Maumelle, AR, USA