2.1

2007 Mercury Mariner drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Mercury Mariner:

2007 Mercury Mariner Owner Comments

Aug 042014

Mariner 6-cyl

The vehicle had been driving perfectly normal all day. In the evening, while driving in a heavily-trafficked area, unexpectedly our Mariner would not shift out of 1st gear - the engine revved, but the car would just barely move. It finally shifted into 3rd gear, but never would go into 4th. All the while, the O/D light on the instrument panel was going on and off. This pattern continued for several days while we had our Mariner inspected at numerous repair shops; the end result was that we had to have the transmission rebuilt at a cost of $1700. At only 111,000 miles! all of the transmission repair shops that we talked with stated that this is a common occurrence in this year-model Ford product, many times was far less mileage than ours had.

- Mesquite, TX, USA

Apr 132014

Mariner 4-cyl

My 18 year old son was driving my 2007 Mercury Mariner, when it started making loud noises and shaking like crazy, he was barely able to keep the vehicle running to get home. When my husband looked at vehicle and saw what it was doing, he thinks the transmission has gone out on it. We had driven the vehicle to church Sunday morning (same day) and there was no signs or symptoms of any kind of problem. I purchased the vehicle used, and it has not had a problem except for the shifter had to be replaced about 3 months ago...mechanic stated that there had been something sweet spilled inside of the shifter, however, I drive the vehicle 99.9% of the time and I drink water...... after researching and reading all the complaints on this vehicle on this website, I do realize that there is a manufactured defect in the transmission and the shifter. How and why has there not been a recall on these vehicles" why didn't some of the warning lights come on" we are very fortunate that this has not happened before now and caused us to have an accident.

- Newnan, GA, USA

Sep 022013

Mariner 6-cyl

Coming off a stop sign, the vehicle would not shift into second, could feel it finally jump into 3. took it to a transmission shop and was told the transmission had no 2 and 4th gears. Upon looking online, transmissions and powertrains are known defects with this model/year. Just had to spend $2000 to have this repaired as Ford ignored previous complaints from consumers!!

- Trenton, MI, USA

Jul 092013

Mariner 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Mercury Mariner. The contact stated that she started the ignition and attempted to reverse from a residential driveway but the vehicle was extremely sluggish. The contact stated that it felt as if the vehicle had engaged in neutral. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 80,000.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jun 292010

Mariner

I was driving to work and car began to make a loud rattle noise, od light flashed (od off) and pulled over. I attempted to pull back on road and car would not shift into 2nd gear. Transmission problem. $1800 repair. Now 2013 exactly 3 years later and car begins same thing all over again. Diagnostic test states needs new transmission. Told these cars have had these problems from the get go. Ford knows this! the problem is coolant is located in radiator and does not keep trans from overheating. I am now told it will be $3650 for another trans. This is a total mess. It is not fair to the consumer who still owes $16,000 on this car. I bought this car with the hopes of repairing my damaged credit and made all routine service and flushes as scheduled on time. Now what to do" I cant afford another transmission, and am without a car and continue to have a car payment or my credit that I have finally got back on track is ruined once again! can anyone offer me advice on what to do" help!

- Belleville, MI, USA

Apr 242013

Mariner

The contact owns a 2007 Mercury Mariner. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, the overdrive light illuminated. The contact pushed the overdrive button to deactivate the system but the light did not deactivate. The contact also stated that the vehicle stalled while driving and the transmission did not shift in a timely manner. The contact took the vehicle to a dealer for a diagnostic test. The test results showed a defective transmission. The dealer stated the entire power train system needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired by a private mechanic. The failure mileage was 47,000.

- Mount Prospect, IL, USA

Mar 272012

Mariner 6-cyl

Internal transmission failure; needs replacement transmission. Had done all factory recommended services when due including transmission flushes. Transmission should not have failed at this mileage, especially given the fact that car was serviced according to manufacturer specifications. Have had numerous other cars with substantially more mileage and no transmission issues.

- Barnegat Light, NJ, USA

Dec 192011

Mariner 6-cyl

I purchased the vehicle with 6,000 miles on it. I kept up my normal maintance on the vehicle and replaced things when needed. At approximately 42,000 my transmission would no longer shift the gears. The vehicle was brought to wallace dealership of which they kept my vehicle for almost 2 weeks. They explained they did an overhaul of the transmission and fixed repairs on it so that their would be no further problems with transmission later on down the road. Now at 84,735 miles later, I am once again having transmission problems and my vehicle will not go into gear. Because I am out of warranty my vehicle will sit until I can make the repairs as a transmission replacement is not a cheap expense. This is a serious problem with in this car and deserves extreme priority of investigation on a recall for this year, make, and model of vehile. I am receiving no help from the Ford company and I am finding it extremely difficult that this problem in this vehilce has not been resolved or dealt with. I have had a private transmission company examine my vehilce (has not touched it), of which they discovered, the internal filter is clogging the cvt (constant velocity transmission) for which something will continiously break in the filter or where the filter is held causing this to happen. I was also advised there was nothing I could have done maintance wise or personal use of driving that could have caused this to happen.

- Port Saint Lucie, FL, USA

May 262009

Mariner

The contact owns a 2007 Mercury Mariner. The contact stated that the vehicle would not shift into any gear. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where they advised her that the automatic transmission assembly oil cooler, valve, gaskets, drive plate steel, pistons, seals, and screens needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired for all components however, approximately 20,000 miles later, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was contacted and they offered no assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 42,000.

- Port St. Lindsay, FL, USA