Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2008-2011 Mercury Mariner has a dangerous problem with the power steering that Ford says they fixed when they didn't -- at least not 100%.

2008 Mercury Mariner accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Mercury Mariner:

2008 Mercury Mariner Owner Comments

Jan 292014

A couple days ago I started my car as usual before going to work to let it warm due to the weather. As I started backing out of my drive I realized my steering wheel isn't moving like it's supposed to. I stopped and turned the car off and then back on, then it was fine. As I'm driving and getting ready to switch lanes on the highway it does it again so I pull on the shoulder and get out the car to check under the hood, a man pulls over to help me seeing as I'm a woman on the side of the road and in my military uniform. He says it could be because of the weather but it should be fine. Now after 2 or 3 days the steering wheel shakes and vibrates and a rattling noise occurs at low speed and certain positions when the wheel is turned, or even at a standstill position. It has recurred several times since the first time and always when the car starts. It can be stopped by turning off the ignition and restarting the car. Also a wrench shows up in the message center, as I read my manual come to find out that's for the transmission. I've read a lot of the comments and complaints and have to wonder, will it take a death because of this for Ford to realize we're not making this up and it's not due to poor or lack of maintenance.

- South Elgin, IL, USA