NHTSA — Power Train Problems

2008 Mercury Mariner (Page 2 of 2) Seal Of This Might Hurt Notes: The 2008-2011 Mercury Mariner has a dangerous problem with the power steering that Ford says they fixed when they didn't -- at least not 100%.

2008 Mercury Mariner drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Mercury Mariner:

2008 Mercury Mariner Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Mar 182013

Mariner 6-cyl

My 2008 Mercury Mariner was towed into my local dealer because the transmission failed without warning and no warning lights came on and the steering had an issue with the steering wheel locking up while the vehicle was in gear. When I took into the dealer they confirmed that the transmission had in fact went out and they would have to replace the steering column due to the problem with the steering was the thrust angle sensor that was embedded into the steering column. The sensor is not servicable and the whole column would have to be replaced. Both failures happen within 4 days! upon talking to the service writer, there was a recall on the transmission cooler lines that run thru the A/C condenser. They called me today and informed me that my vehicle was done and told me it was $5364.56. He informed me that the trans cooler lines would not be covered due to the transmission failure! how can a factory recall not be covered" I bought the vehicle from the same Ford dealer used and the recall was issued before I purchased the car! how can they sell a car and not perform the recall service before they sold it to me and my family? I asked the service writer if that was the factory part and he stated that it could possible be. If they are not going to take care of a factory recall, how am I suppose to trust them to fix my vehicle properly" I have two small children in this vehicle every single day, twice a day! there have been so many complaints about the transmission and power steering in the 2008 models that I am surprised that they haven't put a recall on those parts yet. There are two more vehicles at the same dealer with the same problem! a 2008 Mariner and 2008 escape. The last 3 cars I bought have been Ford and I will never buy another Ford product again. Somebody needs to stop them before somebody gets hurt or killed.

- New Windsor, IL, USA

Mar 152013

Mariner 4-cyl

I own a 2008 Mercury Mariner and I am a little concerned with its safety. On 03/15/13 I was pulling out of my drive and the steering wheel would not turn. I proceeded to put in reverse to get out of the road and backed into the drive. I turned all power down then restarted the vehicle with no problems in the steering. I went to pick up my kids and the steering wheel started to pulsate and I could hear a clunking noise while sitting at a stop sign. Everytime I came to a stop it would do it. On sat. I took it to the local shop. We couldn't notice anything out of the ordinary that would cause this to happen. The only solution was the entire steering column would have to be replaced. I did some research on line to see if this was a known issue or if a recall had been issued. I was amazed at how many complaints have been placed and no recall has been issued. I set up an appt with the dealer for tues. I was working on mon. And left to run an errand for work and the next thing I know, I was driving 65 mph on the highway and with out warning I lost all power in the driving and heard a loud grinding and then clunk. I thought the transmission went out! I immediately turned on my hazards to try and get off to the side of the road cause I was slowing down extremely fast. I was almost in a 3 car accident and luckily everybody is ok, but it could of been a lot worse! I was towed to a dealer. They confirmed my fears. The transmission went out with no warning. They told me this is a known problem but there was nothing they could do cause there was no recall on this! when I asked as to why, the said not enough complaints have been made! wow, you have got to be kidding me"!? how many people have to die before these issues are addressed" very unhappy because it's going to cost $5200 to replace transmission and the entire steering column! hold Ford accountable!

- New Windsor, IL, USA

Nov 232012

The contact owns a 2008 Mercury Mariner. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact was able to move the vehicle to the side of the road where the vehicle was restarted however, the failure recurred. The contact had to manually shift the vehicle into gear. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The dealer advised the contact that the transmission was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 81,000.

- San Tan Valley, AZ, USA

Oct 012012

Mariner 6-cyl

When going from reverse to drive, my 2008 Mercury Mariner that I bought brand new, catches and lurches forward. It has less than 45,000 miles on it. I've come close several times, to hitting cars parked next to me. It also happens at stop signs/lights. When I take my foot off the brake, it does not accelerate immediately and lurches forward when it connects. It has sprayed fluid all over my engine and leaked all over our driveway. It's under warranty so I took it to our Ford dealer who said, yes, it's covered under warranty, but that's just the transmission problems. It does not cover all of the costs for the parts they need to disconnect and move out of the way to fix it. I was told it would $700 for a known problem that they need to fix free of charge. Will not buy another Ford product again and that is saying a whole lot because Ford/Mercury has been my car of choice for the last 15 years.

- Shawnee, OK, USA

Sep 292012

TL -the contact owns a 2008 Mercury Mariner. The contact stated the transmission cooler was leaking and caused the transmission to shift in and out of gear. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic who inspected the vehicle and was told the transmission cooler needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified and stated he should take the vehicle to the dealer for a diagnostic test. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The failure mileage was 59,000. Rvk

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Jul 172012

Mariner 6-cyl

Driving in traffic, when vehicles transmission disengaged. Depressing the accelerator only revved the engine, but no forward motion. While coasting, managed to get vehicle out of traffic & to a side street. From a stop, vehicle would accelerate, but when shifting into 3rd gear, goes into a "neutral" condition and coasts. Paid Ford dealer to do evaluation, and was told this was a known issue with this vehicle. Was quoted $3000 for the repair.

- China, MI, USA

Jan 092012

My 2008 Mariner automatic transmission will not shift properly when cold (winter) or too hot. This also affects the idle when stopped. When vehicle tries to shift up, it will only shift if I let off the gas, then the transmission slams into the higher gear. The vehicle will hesitate when trying to use passing gear to pass other vehicles. This has led to some close calls/near misses when trying to over-take vehicles. Ford says they know there is a problem with this make/model but have not issued a recall. Ford says they can fix it with my money.

- Darlington, MD, USA

Jan 312012

Mariner 6-cyl

The transmission slipped while driving so I checked the fluid level. Fluid was low so more fluid was added. Two weeks later the fluid was low again. After checking I noticed the fluid leaking from the lines where the lines run into the fluid cooler. Contacted dealer and no recall has been issued.

- Kennett, MO, USA

Feb 022009

Mariner 6-cyl

In February of 2009 (at 41,214 miles), my 2008 Mercury Mariner started jerking when I was driving and would not accelerate when I gased. I took the car to a Ford dealer and they diagnosed it with transmission failure. Since the car was under warranty they performed a "transmission overhaul". three years later, February 2012, my car started having the same problem again, transmission issues. According to the paperwork, it was noted "transmission/converter slips and transmission fluid leaked". I was reluctantly told by a supervisor at Ford headquarters that some 2008 Mariners did indeed have transmissions defects but my VIN number was not known to be affected and because it is out of warranty they will not addressed it without me paying $4062. I have called Ford headquarters and they would not provide me with any details on the issues with some of the Mariners that were recalled. A car that has transmission issues twice within four years sound like there is indeed a major defect issue with the transmission parts but Ford is not willing to admit it. I am sure my car (VIN) should have been included. This could have been a safety hazard for my family and I. this car is a lemon and Ford was well aware of it but refuse to correct the matter. Ford should do the right thing and resolve the issue that they were well aware of instead of making there customers believe that it is normal for a car to have transmission failure not only once but twice within four years. I will pursue this matter until I am satisfied with the results. Updated IVOQ 03/28/12

- Belleville, MI, USA

Oct 032011

Mariner 6-cyl

Vehicle began leaking transmission fluid from the condenser transmission cooler/combo. Leaks at top corner at passenger side from the weld of the bracket. Leakage could lead to transmission failure, resulting in an accident. Recall for same problem on 2008 Mercury Mountaineer, but the 2008 Mariner is obviously defective as well.

- Tiffin, OH, USA

Oct 152008

Hybrid version of 2008 Mercury Mariner SUV intermittent illumination of (2) dashboard warning lamps: Multiple appearances of "yellow wrench" symbol @ L/edge instrument panel - manual vague, Ford svc writer says lamp indicates fault detected in electronically-controlled cvt (continuously variable transmission); clears with shut-down/restart. Dealership unable to schedule prompt diagnostic, claiming only one tech/tool. Has not recurred in ~ 45 days. Today (12-24-08), the red triangle warning @ right edge of inst panel came on after cold-start & driving <100 feet - accompanied by info text warning to `make immediate safe stop'. owners manual links lamp to possible safety of high-volt hybrid electric system, but running driver's system check showed no system problems. Lamp cleared on shut-down/restart, has not reappeared.

- Long Beach, CA, USA