CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2008-2011 Mercury Mariner has a dangerous problem with the power steering that Ford says they fixed when they didn't -- at least not 100%.

2.2

2008 Mercury Mariner engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Mercury Mariner:

2008 Mercury Mariner Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Dec 012009

Mariner

About 2 months ago, the accelerator on my 2008 Mercury Mariner started sticking. Today it stuck and remained stuck for about 2 minutes. I took it to the dealer and was told they could not duplicate the problem, but could put a $347 part in it just in case it is the problem. I was charge $70 for the diagnosis.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Dec 072009

Mariner

Unintended acceleration. Ascending a winding grade on Oregon 140 at 50 mph the accelerator pedal suddenly shot unaided to the floor putting the car in passing gear. When I hit the brake pedal it instantly disengaged the accelerator. The car was not in cruise control mode although it had been earlier. I had disengaged the overdrive function through the button on the gear shift lever and was in straight drive gear. We bought the car in January 2009. This was the 3rd time we have experienced this same problem. This time was the most pronounced and serious since the accelerator was floored. We were passing over the cascades between medford and klamath falls. Two or three miles further up the highway we entered the snow zone and there was ice on the highway. Had we been there at the time of the sudden acceleration the car could have spun out of control.

- Bonanza , OR, USA

Sep 242009

Mariner

On 09-24-2009 while traveling on I-95 towards Maine near portsmouth, New Hampshire, our vehicle a 2008 Mercury Mariner, with 15,682 miles on the odometer, lost all braking capability at 65 mph. Being a retired police officer I was able to talk my wife, who was driving, over into a breakdown lane in an effort to avoid collision with tractor trailers, motor vehicles and fixed objects. Ultimately the vehicle was turned onto an off ramp and onto a sidewalk and grass area to increase friction to reduce speed. This was several miles in the making and when the vehicle slowed to under 40 mph we placed it in neutral and were able to stop the car. We noted that the rpms were in the 4,000 to 5,000 range as the throttle appeared stuck. After towing to portsmouth Ford, in portsmouth, New Hampshire; technicians there determined that the problem was a stretched throttle control & cable assembly (part #7L8Z!758 cable ass-throttle contro and part # 8L*9725 shaft mt79758A-accelerator cable). Techicians stated that the stretch accelerator cable (which they said was poorly designed) caused the throttle and cruise control to lock, which over rode the braking system. Warranty repairs were made invoice 497086 tag customer #8023451243. We narrowly avoided what could have been a catastrophic accident and feel this should be brought to your attention as a defect may exist in other simllar 2008 Mercury Mariners.

- Rutland, VT, USA