Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2008-2011 Mercury Mariner has a dangerous problem with the power steering that Ford says they fixed when they didn't -- at least not 100%.

2008 Mercury Mariner miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Mercury Mariner:

2008 Mercury Mariner Owner Comments

Jun 102016

The cpu unit has had a complete failure and the a new replacement part is not available. Vehicle year is a 2008. The problem started to become hard to start the complete failure. The vehicle was towed to the dealer.

- Palmer, AK, USA

Feb 252013

Throttle body sticking, car pedal would be pushed down and car would not move then push a little harder and the car would jump forward. This happens whenever the car has been stopped and then the pedal is pushed down again to take off, such as at stop signs, parking lots, drive ways and so forth. Took car in and at the first visit to the service department they just cleaned the throttle body, when it continued to stick we took it back in and they replaced the throttle body costing hundreds of dollars due to the warranty on the vehicle was out. This one lasted till just after the warranty ran out on the part, then it started sticking again. It appears to stick more in cold weather. We have not replaced it at this time due to the cost of the part and the fact that it does not seem to last much over a year at a time. I understand this is a safety issue, but we do not have the money to replace this part every year. From what I have read this has been a on going problem for other people as well. Why has there not been a recall on this part?

- Mt. Carmel, IL, USA

Jun 062015

I purchased this vehicle used last year. My vehicle starting having long shifts and would stall on me when at low speed. I took it to shop and there was a recall on the transmission fluid cooler that can develop a crack in the tube and ultimately cause your transmission to go bad. I was told to call Ford for the repair of the tube. I was told that the recall wasn't for my car (VIN specific) although the recall was for 2008 Mercury Mariners. I don't understand what they wouldn't honor my vehicle if mine is a 2008 Mariner and has the problem that is in the recall. I was also told that although I just purchased the auto that if if it I had any expired recalls on it that it wouldn't be fixed. I asked to speak to manager or supervisor and she said it wouldn't help. This is a Ford policy and it won't be changed.

- Charleston , SC, USA

Sep 232014

Vehicle stalled on highway and will not start back up immediately and when it does it runs very rough I believe it is the throttle body since there was a recall on this engine.

- Akron, OH, USA

May 112014

Mariner 6-cyl

I was driving on highway route 22 at approximately 60 mph, when suddenly the throttle stopped responding and the tachometer started dropping. In a matter of seconds the tachometer reached zero and the vehicle stalled, while I was in traffic on the highway. I coasted off to the shoulder and put the vehicle in park. When I tried to restart the vehicle, the engine would turn over and start up, however, immediately after I let go of the key, the tachometer would drift back down to zero and the vehicle would stall. After a few more failed attempts, I called for a tow. Since this occurred after hours, no one was available to work on the vehicle until the next morning. In the morning when I attempted to show the technician the failure, the vehicle started up as it did the evening before, then the tachometer started dipping back down, then just before it stalled, the tachometer fluttered a little, then the engine revved back up and began idling normally. The technician indicated that there were no events logged in the vehicles computer to give him an idea of what caused the sudden stalling, and he could not find any obvious issues with the vehicle. The vehicle was returned to me without repair and the technician warned me that it is likely that this would happen again and that they cannot diagnose it unless they see it when it is not working. Now I am concerned that this will happen again while driving and that it will cause an accident, or worse. I read an article from the North Carolina consumers council stating that there is a known issue with the throttle body of this vehicle that causes sudden engine stall while driving. Ford issued an extended warranty on certain vehicles for this piece, however when I contacted the dealership and mentioned consumer satisfaction program 13N03, they informed me that my vehicle did not qualify. I'm not sure what to do next.

- Allentown, PA, USA