2009 Mercury Mariner fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Mercury Mariner:

2009 Mercury Mariner Owner Comments

Jan 102016

My 2009 Mercury Mariner stalls while its idle, at a intersection or just waiting. It stalls then I started up right after it stalls.

- North Bergen, NJ, USA

Jan 012016

On 1/1/2016 I was driving on 495 w in queens, NY heading back to manhattan where I live. Out of nowhere the car began jerking, a wrench light on the dash panel came on (which I never saw before) and I could tell the car was decelerating. I tried hitting the accelerator again, the car would jerk, the engine was revving but was barely moving. I knew I had to pull over and luckily I was able to navigate to the shoulder of the road. This was an extremely dangerous situation. I am a confident driver, however, a less confident or timid driver most likely would have panicked and gotten into a potentially serious collision.

- New York, NY, USA

Oct 292013

During normal highway driving conditions, car suddenly stopped accelerating, could push the accelerator all the way to the floor and get no power. Engine did not stall out, but would not provide power. Was able to pull over and turn off car, then turn back on, and problem was gone. After another 15 miles or so it happened again. Took the car to the dealership and they reported that it was a bad throttle body and had to be replaced.

- Winston-Salem, NC, USA

Aug 272013

Mariner 6-cyl

This actually first occurred on Friday. I was traveling on the thruway at about 65mph when the car felt almost like it downshifted and then I totally lost acceleration and the wrench light appeared on the dash. I limped to the side of the road and the car jerked and sputtered before I shut it off. After a few minutes I restarted the vehicle and it sounded like it was flooded at first then it turned over normally. I was an hour from home and made it back without further incident. I took it to the dealer the next morning and it did not show any codes. They suggested I replace the purge valve, and as I had a busy week of work related travel scheduled I went ahead and had them do it for $120. Better safe than sorry. Right? today I get an hour from home and it happens again. I call my dealer and they suggest I find the closest Ford dealer and take it there immediately. Closest Ford dealer couldn't take me for 2 weeks!! I was an hour from my destination, so I decided to chance it. I drove about 20 minutes and it happened again. Same exact scenario. I started it again, got back on the road and drove 10 minutes and again, except this time the engine light also came on. I called roadside assistance and was towed to a garage. I am 2 1/2 hours from home and driving a rental. Garage will diagnose and hopefully fix tomorrow. Service tech said if he had to diagnose without a code he would say throttle body! it also sounds like this is not covered by my 5 year/60K warranty either. With all of the similar stories I have read online Ford needs to be forced to do a recall and reimburse us all for our expenses.

- Equinunk, PA, USA

May 312013

Mariner 4-cyl

2009 Mercury Mariner engine stalls, surges then no acceleration. Coast to side of road, while trying to not get rear-ended. Engine still runs, is extremely rough. After turning the ignition off, then wait and restart, runs okay. This has happened on many occasions in past month and half. I contacted Ford dealer and service guy says it is most likely the throttle body starting @ $500 repair not covered under the warranty. Happens at any speed. From start or just while driving. First incident 5-31-2013.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jan 212013

I was leaving work and driving down a road at about 50mph when all of a sudden my car jumped and I then was coming up to a red light so I was braking and behind a car. At the red light I was a few inches from hitting the car because my car kept jumping forward. I then got scared and turned my car off and back on and it was driving fine. Then all of a sudden it did the same thing and I couldn't accelerate I would press on the gas and my car was just shaking and losing speed and wouldn't move. Thankfully I didn't drive the highway home that day.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jun 032012

Mariner 6-cyl

While entering interstate highway, engine balked like bad gas. After two or three tankfuls and the vehicle dying in traffic, I left it with my dealer to find the problem. After a week, the vehicle had not died for them so I brought it home, only to continue with the same dying and hesitating when accelerated. A month or so later the dealer kept it again for about 5 days and it still did okay for them. They have no idea what the "problem" is. We have parked the car in our garage because several times we have narrowly escaped being rear-ended, when turning corners, crossing railroad tracks, etc. I contacted Ford Motor Co. In Michigan and they do not "have this problem with other vehicles" and don't seem to know what I'm talking about. Mechanics in two other garages have driven the vehicle and have not located the problem. Help!!

- Bedford, IN, USA

Feb 212013

I was driving through a town and the car cut out and lost all power. I steered it off the road safety. It restarted just fine and I took off again going four blocks were it died instantly in the middle of the road. It is now in the shop to figure out what caused stalling in the car, and then allowing it to restart and continue down the road. Very unsafe with traffic behind me and oncoming to be stalled on a curve on the road.

- Plainville, IL, USA

Jan 222013

As my daughter was driving on the freeway, the engine suddenly lost power and she had to work her way to the side across 3 lanes of heavy traffic with no power. Our mechanic replaced the throttle body at our expense. The news today indicated that you were investigating the circuit board which controls the throttle and we wanted you to know that this problem was a threat to her safety and appears to be occurring to many people. This was the fourth time the vehicle has stopped while driving.

- Lakewood, WA, USA