2.6

2009 Mercury Mariner miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Mercury Mariner:

2009 Mercury Mariner Owner Comments

Feb 252016

Mariner

Slight grinding noise when making a hard left turn, as into a driveway. (relitively slow speed, not creeping)

- Clinton, NY, USA

Jul 172015

Mariner

Was using cruise control down the road doing 45 miles per hours. While on a straight stretch and going up slight hill car was fine. When I started to go down the slight hill car seemed to sound like it was in neural gear and my rmps jumped to between 3 and 4. I looked to see if some how the car got accidently shifted into neutral and it wasn't it was still in drive. So I turned the cruise control off and everything went back to driving and sounding normal. This is now the third time this has happened. We just purchased this car and of course limited warranty is now over and this is now happening. Was wondering if there was a recall on something like this or if maybe other people are having this problem also. Please let me know as I feel this is now a unsafe vehicle and I wish I would of know this was gonna happen before I shelled out 12,000 for it because now I don't want to drive it especially with my children or my newborn grandson in the vehicle with me.

- Jersey Shore, PA, USA

Oct 092013

Mariner

My Mercury Mariner 2009 has had issues for the past year in regards to the vehicle unexpectedly goes into "limp home mode" at reduced power, like while sitting at traffic light or stop sign. Also, the wrench light will go on while driving and I lose acceleration power. I can push the gas pedal down and nothing happens, the engine is still on but no acceleration power. I will coast until I can get to a safe spot to have to power it off and then restart it. This is very dangerous while driving in rush hour back and forth to work each day. The car lags when accelerating and also pumps while when coming to a stop. I do not feel safe in the car and wish I had never bought it. I can't even make a trip to the store without worrying about the wrench coming on or it going into limp mode.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Sep 202013

Throttle body stuck open

- Greenville, SC, USA

Aug 152012

Mariner 4WD 6-cyl

While driving the car will it suddenly stop receiving any fuel, car does not necessarily stall, it is very dangerous, because I will have to pull over shut the car off and it will restart, the wrench icon will come on, sometimes the engine icon, this at first was random, no pattern, once on the tobin bridge in boston, with very heavy traffic, thankfully was able to pull over out of the way, it would happen randomly for a few months and now it happens so often I am afraid to drive it, I have no money to bring this to a garage as I fear it will cost me way too much to fix, very disappointed with the vehicle, along with this issue the heater, ac fan only works on high, being a widow with very a low paying job I bought this and am still paying over 300 a month I am at a loss, there must be some way I can get this fixed at no cost to me, this vehicle was the first one I have ever financed and it turns out to be a lemon.

- Stow, ME, USA

Dec 152012

Mariner 4-cyl

While traveling at 55 mph, power steering stopped working making vehicle very hard to steer. By turning key off and restarting, while tugging on steering wheel, power steering will start working and may last 30 minutes or 3 minutes. While working, steering wheel shakes and makes noise. Vehicle pulls to the left. Ford denies having had this problem before and wants to replace steering column for $1,396.57. Complaints on the internet about this problem are numerous. I do not want to buy another defective steering column and don't understand that power steering problem would be solved.

- Hurley, NM, USA