2010 Mercury Mariner drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Mercury Mariner:

2010 Mercury Mariner Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Oct 072013

Mariner 6-cyl

When driving at a slow speed of 20-25 mph, the vehicle stopped accelerating and bucked a little. The wrench (powertrain) signal light up on the dash, so I proceeded to pull over, put the car in park, and shut it off. After a few minutes I turned it on again and all seemed fine, though the car was now slow moving and less smooth through shifting. The same thing occurred 9 days later, with the vehicle responding even more slowly afterwards.

- Natick, MA, USA

Sep 252013

Driving at 50 miles per hour the SUV lost all power and had to pull to the side of the road. Turned off vehicle and then restarted and ran fine. Three days later it happened again. Took it to the dealer and they told me it was the throttle body on the motor was bad. They said it wasn't covered under my drive train warranty and charged me $300 dollars. The SUV only has 17,000 miles on it.. I read there is 27,000 complaints about this problem. Why is there not a recall on these vehicles? some one is going to get hurt or killed because of this problem.

- Plymouth, PA, USA

Oct 112013

I was driving on the highway at bout 70 mph and all of a sudden, the gas pedal went limp and I couldn't accelerate anymore. I slowed down to about 45 mph with cars flying past me. I was able to move to the shoulder and turn the car off. I had no idea what happened so I called my boyfriend and he came and checked the oil and a few other things but everything seemed to be ok. I got back in the car and it started fine and I was able to drive it home. I am afraid to drive my car on the freeway again knowing this problem could and probably will keep happening until I get the part replaced.

- Gahanna, OH, USA

May 132013

Mariner 4-cyl

I was driving along on the highway (I-77 N) and all of a sudden my car started to jerk. The wrench tool light lit up on the dash board and the car immediately began to loose speed. The change in power and speed was quick and I had to quickly check the surrounding traffic and pull the car over to avoid and accident. After pulling over to the side of the road I cut the car completely off and it started back up. I took the car to the dealer where I purchased the car and I was advised to replace the filter. I purchased a filter from Ford and my car ran smoothly for about 2 weeks. I would push on the accelerator but it would not accelerate. Each time the wrench tool would appear and the engine light would come on. I have lost speed in the middle of an intersection. After my car started to cut off again following the installation of the new filter I took the car back to the dealer and was instructed to purchase throttle body spray. They cleaned out the throttle body and the car drove fine for a few days until I began experiencing the same problem. Some times I would have to cut my car off a few times and restart it on one round trip. I keep regular maintenance on this car, changing the oil and rotating the tires, etc. I purchased the car in December 2012 because the car I had over $2,500 of needed maintenance. I needed a reliable car to get around as the primary transportation for my family. I took the car back to the dealer a few times and they explained the code and explanation of the problem: Trouble code P2111, throttle body actuator stuck open and closed. I really hope this investigation is expedited and that Ford recalls the Mercury Mariner 2010 due to the faulty throttle bottle. I have had zero maintenance issues with my vehicle other than the throttle body issues.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Sep 132013

Mariner 6-cyl

Driving to work on 1431, the car felt as though it hit a bump, lost all ability to drive. Pulled over to side of road, turned car off for about 10 to 15 seconds and then back on. At this point it seem to operate properly. Then about three miles down the road it did the same thing again. This time there was no shoulder to pull off on, so traffic was tied up. Was traveling at about 40 mph this time. Did the same thing, turned off and then back on and seemed to work normal. Later that evening going home from work the car did the same thing, two more times before I reached home. One time as I was going from palmer to 1431 on a curve. The next time it was on a slight incline going home. The icon on dashboard was a wrench which indicates it had something to do with the throttle control. Took to dealer and they confirmed it was a defective throttle control unit, and charged $650 to repair. Believe that this is/was a serious problem safety wise and should have been covered by Ford.

- Round Rock, TX, USA

Sep 092013

Mariner 4-cyl

9/8/2013 driving 60mph I felt a slight jolt and notice a yellow wrench light came on dashboard.then the Mercury Mariner decelerated and stalled to where I was able to move to shoulder off road, and turn engine off. At this point not knowing what to do I just turned car off for about 5 minutes and then re-start. There was no wrench light, but I did notice a hesitation for the car to catch. I drove home about 20 miles and the car drove rough as if it was having a hard time shifting and notice the RPM dancing back and forth from 3-1 on road inclines. Took it to mechanic and had a diagnostic test read no stored codes.what"?" this happen within a 2 day period, car would stall, yellow wrench light would appear on dash. Took it to a Ford authorized dealer, and he knew exactly what is was throttle body malfunctioning. Paid. $301for parts and labor.

- Pittsboro, NC, USA

Aug 182013

Mariner 6-cyl

I was leaving a soccer game and the car went to about 40 mps and the wrench light came on and the pedal went limp. I pulled over and stopped the car and the car started shaking like it was out of time. I put it in part and shut off the car when I turned the car back on the light was off. I was able to drive 20 miles back and forth and then it did the same thing again. I have taken it to run the codes and there were none. Today 8/31/13 it did the same thing again and now finally the engine light came on. Codes were ran at autozone and P1212 throttle body sensor finally showed up. I had already checked the web the first time that it did it after talking with a mechanic that works at Ford and he told me what it was and that there was no recall. I am very upset. I just purchased this car less than three months ago!!! single mom someone help!!!

- La Vergne, TN, USA

Aug 242013

I was driving my car merging on to the expressway in a construction zone and as soon as I got on the car completely lost power. I could not push on the gas or anything. Luckily there was an opening in some cones for me to barely have enough power to get out on one lane of traffic in a construction zone in morning rushing hour traffic. I had to turn my car off and luckily it came back on. I have read online that this has been happening to so many people that the part is on national back order. This is crazy! I had my 1 year old daughter in the car and we could have been hit. This is completely unsafe!

- Shelbyville, KY, USA

Aug 112013

Driving at approx 40 mph car engine reacts abnormally and "wrench" warning light appears and car "stalls" out and, although fully operational will not drive. Turn the car off and back on and the engine eventually will turn over but again repeats the same issue of "stalling" out. After having the car towed, the diagnosis is a defective "throttle-body".

- Friendswood, TX, USA

Jul 302013

Mariner 6-cyl

While my wife were going out to dinner we were driving on the highway at 45 mph. I noticed a yellow wrench warning light appear on the dash. The car started losing power and began jerking. I could not accelerate and the speedometer dropped to 0. I coasted to the shoulder and stopped. I had to have aaa tow the car to my mechanic. He ran different tests and the readout he got from the computer was the throttle body assembly. He has a priority order for the part and said there is a national backorder on this part. I have an extended warranty with (nac) and they told him they will not pay for the part. I have to pay close to $820 for the part and labor. Ford has known about this problem with the 2010 Mariner but will not have a recall. Do people have to die before Ford Motor Company acts? this is a disgrace for the consumer.

- Gilbertsville, PA, USA

Jul 162013

Mariner 6-cyl

Throttle body, ,,, driving down the street..all of the sudden a wrench appears and the car does not go... have to try and safely pull over...have to shut the car off and restart it, ,, this has happened 6 times in the past week...going approx 30 mph---. also happened about a month ago on the freeway going about 70 mph....very scared..this car is going to get me killed!

- St.Paul, MN, USA

Jul 242013

My 2010 Mercury Mariner went into limp mode and would not respond to throttle inputs. I researched this issue and learned that this problem appears to be related to a faulty throttle body or electronic control panel for the throttle body. This an extremely dangerous condition as it appears at random without warning. I believe this must be a defect that has been known to Ford for some time and needs to be the subject of a recall.

- West Creek, NJ, USA

Jul 182013

Driving at 45 mph and car went into limp mode. Called for a tow truck to my dealer where I bought the car only 6 months ago. They said it was the throttle body. Did lots of research to find this is a huge issue that needs to be recalled. Ford needs to take responsibility before more get injured! my dealer refuses to cover this repair nor can give me an eta because this is on national backorder. Because this happens so much. Too, once the new throttle body comes, I'm sure I'd have the same issue as the part is a defect.

- Maineville, OH, USA

Jun 212013

I was driving at about 25 mph when the car suddenly lurched forward, then began rapidly decelerating. I had to get off the road and coast to a stop. I turned the car off then restarted it and everything seemed fine, but the problem happened again later that day and several more times in the coming weeks. It has happened at various speeds and under diverse conditions. It is intermittent and unpredictable. After nearly causing an accident on the interstate due to this occurrence I am now limited to surface streets and only when I have no other option but to drive my car. After doing some reading it seems that this is a known defect with the throttle body and I worry that even if I pay out of pocket to have it repaired I will only be buying another part with the same defect. My hope is that Ford will issue a recall of the vehicles for which this is a known issue!

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Jul 112013

Mariner 6-cyl

Car went into 'limp mode" at about 25 mph and the orange wrench warning light came on. Had to stop, turned off the engine and then restarted. Warning light went off but it occurred again in about 5 miles. Went to Ford dealer the next day and they could not find anything wrong nor duplicate the problem. Problem happened again a couple of miles after leaving the dealership. I immediately returned to the dealer and they once again couldn't find anything wrong. Two days later on I-95 the car went into "limp mode" the orange light came on and I drove to the side. The traffic was backed up so I was going about 25 mph when this occurred. When I restarted the engine this time, the "wrench" warning light went off but the "check the engine" light came on and remained on. Next day returned to the dealer and this time they said they found the problem and it was the throttle body. In researching on line I found that this is occurring with some frequency and would certainly like to see Ford take responsibility for issuing a defective part. As of now it looks like I will have to pay the bill and hope that the new part is not defective also. It is a real safety issue and hopefully this will be resolved.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Jul 112013

I was driving along normally when the car lurched and the engine went to idle. I pulled onto a lot and stopped the engine while I looked up what the wrench light meant. When I restarted the car it sounded normal, but when I got back on the road and attempted to accelerate it did the same thing. I pulled off the road again and stopped the engine again for a short time. Upon restarting I pulled back onto the road and could accelerate to about 20 mph without any problems. I then limped the car to the dealer, about 2 - 3 miles away, and left it. The next day the dealer called and advised me that the throttle body would have to be replaced (150 miles out of warranty) and the last one the did took 2 months to obtain. I have read on the internet that there have been 27,000 complaints like this one. Isn't it about time for a recall!

- Centralia, IL, USA

Jul 052013

Mariner 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway and all of a sudden lost throttle. The vehicle went into limp mode. I had to pull over and power cycle the vehicle. This happened 8 times in 40 miles. Each time the wrench indicator would display on the dash. I checked the error codes and there were several occurrences of P2111 and P2112. This happened to a relative driving my vehicle a couple days ago, and my wife a month ago. The issue seems to be happening more frequently.

- Stow, OH, USA

Jun 122013

Mariner 6-cyl

Driving on local street vehicle lost power wrench warning light came on dash. Pulled over to side of road shut off engine. Restarted engine warning light went off. This happened multiple times with the engine check light also coming on. Took to dealer was diagnosed with code P2111.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Jun 142013

Mariner 6-cyl

While driving through road construction on the interstate my Mariner lost power. I had my child in the backseat and was lucky enough to be able to pull over and turn off the engine. The power train light and engine light came on. I started it back up and continued until I could exit off the interstate and continue on the highway, where it happened again. Again, I turned off the engine and got it started back up. This happened one more time before I got it to the mechanic. He said that it was the throttle body and that it was on a national back order. There are 8,000 requests for this part! what will it take for Ford to finally issue a recall on an obviously defective part, a fatality?

- London, AR, USA

May 252013

Mariner 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Mercury Mariner. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, there was a sudden loss of power as the wrench warning icon illuminated. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the electronic throttle body needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 58,849 and the current mileage was 59,000.

- Johns Town , PA, USA