2010 Mercury Mariner engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Mercury Mariner:

2010 Mercury Mariner Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Jun 212013

Mariner 6-cyl

I was driving along at 45 mph and the vehicle lost all engine power, but did not die. I stopped the vehicle and shut off the engine. I resterted the vehicle and it started fine. I drove two miles and engine lost power again. This time the check engine light came on. I shut the vehicle off and resterted. Check engine light was still on, but I was able to drive one mile to a friends house. I let it sit for 4 hours and drove 1/10 of a mile and engine lost power again. My friend gave me a ride home as I was 12 miles from home. I called a towing service and had vehicle towed to local garage. Computer code registered a P2111. I contacted local Ford dealership and they recommended a throttle body cleaning because vehicle was out of warranty by 6,000 miles. Had service performed on 6/24. On 6/29 the engine stalled again.

- Centralia, MO, USA

Jun 182013

Mariner 6-cyl

Car stalled multiple times and went into what the dealership calls limp mode. I was informed I have a bad throttle body and motor asy - [ds7Z9E926A], it is my understanding there is a nationwide back ordered on this part. The vehicle is used primarily on the freeway at speeds in excess of 65 miles per hour. It is my understanding there has only been a few hundred complaints. I wish to add one more to the list. I am being told no eta on when Ford will get the back order of parts cleared up. 6 ? 8 weeks without my primary vehicle.

- Westland , MI, USA

May 252013

Mariner 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Mercury Mariner. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, there was a sudden loss of power as the wrench warning icon illuminated. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the electronic throttle body needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 58,849 and the current mileage was 59,000.

- Johns Town , PA, USA

Jun 072013

Had previously had the dealer look into what I thought was issue with transmission and gears slipping back in 2012. They indicated there was a bulletin, which I believe was on a computer issue, and that the tech made some adjustments. That seemed to address the issue for a while. It had been acting up again, and not quite the same as previously, with more stalling out and not accelerating and then suddenly jumping a little. Asked dealer to look into situation again on visit on May 30th. Techs found nothing wrong. Was driving home on interstate on evening of June 7th when it felt like the engine had lost power. I was driving 60 mph, but I was able to pull off to a wide shoulder area. The orange wrench light came on. I turned off car and let it sit for a couple of minutes. It started up with no problems. I was able to drive it about 45-50 mph until off interstate and got it to dealership with no additional problems and left it. Waiting to hear outcome from them.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

May 292013

Mariner 6-cyl

A year ago in July of 2012 not sure the approximate date, I was on my way to work and all of a sudden everything just cut off. I'm in the middle of the road, accelerator to the floor and nothing. I took the car to the dealership same day and they had it all day long and couldn't figure out what caused the short and sent me on my way. Now present day which is a bout a year later I take my car in for a simple safety inspection, wait 10 minutes for the porter to bring me my car to find out its idling and the accelerator is to the floor and its not moving. The gentlemen comes in and tells me its my throttle body going out on the car, he told me this has happened to several people and the part is on back order. He said a guy has had his car sitting there for 10 days and the part has yet to come in. They tell me this needs to be replaced, but ironically enough my warranty expired 4 days ago May 25,2013, which I wasn't aware of. I was at the dealer 2 months prior getting a oil change this didn't dawn on you to tell me it was going to expire. So I came to you with this problem a year ago you had no clue and said have a great day, I've been in every 3 months or so for oil changes since that incident, and you couldn't have noticed this problem before my warranty expired awfully convenient. I'm amazed with all the complaints and problems I've seen about this same issue and no recall has been made. This is dangerous. What it tells me is that Ford doesn't care about their consumers enough to take this matter seriously and correct this error.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Feb 152013

Mariner 6-cyl

The car lost all power while I was driving on the interstate at 65 mph. I was able to steer it to the side of the road, and to restart it. The same thing happened in 3 miles and then again in 1 mile. It was okay for the next 3 months. Then I tried to pass a tractor and my car stalled. I got it to the side of the road and was able to limp into a Ford service center where they diagnosed a " throttle body failure". I am waiting on a part back order to get it fixed!

- Albany, IN, USA

Dec 212012

Mariner 6-cyl

My wife was driving down the street in our Mercury Mariner when it suddenly went from 30 to 0 mph for no reason. Her foot was on the accelerator when it suddenly slowed to a stop, right in the middle of the road. When she tried to drive it again the powertrain alarm was on so we had it towed to the dealer. Ford mechanics found it to be an internal short in the throttle body and replaced it. Unbelievably, we had to pay $342.47, after Ford refused to do the replacement of an integral part of the engine even though the powertrain warranty was still in effect and it was a powertrain alarm. Not only do I believe this repair should have been paid by Ford under the warranty, but I believe we were forced to correct a dangerous defect that should have had a recall, as many others have had this same problems with their Ford products and it is extremely dangerous for a car to come to a sudden halt for no reason.

- Port Orange, FL, USA

Mar 302012

Several times, while driving vehicle, engine suddenly lost power and the check engine light came on soon afterward. At times I was driving at highway speeds, and at times slower--the last time before service was approx. 40 mph. Had to pull over several times to the side of the road, stop the engine, then restart and try to continue driving. After several more losses of compression and power, returned home and took the vehicle in for service to the dealership where it was purchased. They ran diagnostics, but were unable to duplicate the problem. Problem recurred several times afterward, and with the check engine light still on, returned for service on 4/02/12, where the diagnostics confirmed a problem with the throttle body. It was replaced and there have been no problems since then. I had to spend the following amounts for service: Diagnostics on 3/30/12: $59. Actual repair on 4/02/12: $450.61.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 182011

Mariner 4-cyl

2010 Mercury Mariner. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle hesitation intermittently at various speeds. The consumer stated she began noticing the problem in 2011, after a 2010 update of the transmission software in a factory recall. In addition to the hesitation when trying to accelerate, there were also a few instances where the cruise control seemed to either surge or back down, as if it didn't know quite how to respond, usually, but not always, when on a slight incline. The consumer stated on one occasion, when the vehicle was in park, with the motor idling, she was unable to get the vehicle to go into to gear on the first attempt, when it did shift, it shifted very hard and noisily into gear on the 2nd attempt. Also, the vehicle would shift rough in lower gears, typically from as top or accelerating after slowing to almost a stop. The consumer went to another dealer, after the dealer where she originally purchased the vehicle from, failed to address the problems she experiencing. The second dealer informed her, the transmission valve body was damaged even before the recall came out in 2012. The part was replaced. However, the consumer experienced a hesitation in January 2013. The consumer stated after reading about an investigation of Ford vehicle, which included her model year, she was concerned about the throttle body, which had not been replaced.

- De Pere, WI, USA

Sep 282012

Engine stalled while driving at highway speed, started surging, running very rough and would not go any faster than about 15 mph. The vehicle was stopped and shut off. After a few minutes the vehicle was started and seemed to run normally. The vehicle ran normally until 10/05/2012 when it stalled and ran very rough again. At this time the vehicle was being driven to the local dealer for a check. While waiting for a call back from the dealer the vehicle was restarted and seem to run normally again. After talking to the service mgr., it was learned that the problem most likely was the throttle body and it would not be under warranty. At this time it was decided to take the vehicle to a local shop that we were very pleased with for past service for other vehicles within our family. The local shop ordered and installed a new throttle body and the vehicle has performed normally.

- Jupiter, FL, USA

Jun 162012

The contact owns a 2010 Mercury Mariner. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the vehicle stalled without any warnings. The contact mentioned that the driver was able to restart the vehicle immediately after. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 48,000 and the current mileage was 50,200.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Aug 092012

Mariner 4-cyl

Engine lost power. RPM dropped to approx 1000 and throttle became unresponsive. Engine warning light came on. Engine was running very rough. Pulled off interstate highway. Shut off engine. Restarted and ran normally. Next day dealer states that no faults were registered, suspects throttle body defect. Concerned that I may not be so lucky to be in light traffic next time resulting in accident.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Aug 252011

Mariner 4-cyl

Short in left front headlight and for changed light bulb and 10 minutes after parking my car and owning it 1 1/2 months the car blew up.

- New Fairfield , CT, USA